To prove that there are no limits in our dimension. I had to pay. I was A.J., the lacrosse player, he said. Predictably, Arguello retired after that knockout loss. My boyhood idol, Alexis Arguello is one of the best overall fighters I have ever seen. All rights reserved. During his assignment his first time back since his fathers death he taped interviews in English and Spanish with retired champions. A few hours later, the mayor . After 34 fights and over 5 years, the 21 year travelled to Panama City in 1974 to challenge the Panamanian Ernesto Marcel for his WBA featherweight title. Arguello retired to Nicaragua but had difficulty in adapting to life outside the ring. You will be missed. 1 to Jul. Argello would then win 29 of his next 30 bouts over the next 5 years, including a win over Jos Legr. January 25, 1984-New York, New York: Chairman of the Board Muhammad Ali of the newly formed . Boxers make mistakes. Arguellos older brother-in-law, Eduardo Mojico, was a world contender himself, and if it wasnt for him, maybe Arguello would never have ever boxed. That made me happy and feel great. But it didnt. KO: A lot of kids know you primarily from your beer commercial. It was a remarkable scene after what had been a remarkable fight. Alliances shift; it's cat and mouse. Two legendary fighters squared off in a 14 Round epic battle at an iconic outdoor setting. After the Pryor fight, well, thats when it ended. He was recruited by someone whose name also echoes: David Dinkins Jr., son of the former New York mayor. The centerpiece of the shelf below, a wedding photo, displays a beaming Alexis Jr. and his wife, flanked by his parents and two brothers. kiddynamite Germn C. Argello had a troubled childhood, growing up in abject poverty in Managua. I came from the ghetto, my family was poor. Alexis Arguello born 19 April 1952 Managua; married several times (nine children); died Managua 1 July 2009. Arguello has signed a promotional agreement with Sam Glass and Tiffany Promotions and, as we went to press, was scheduled to face once beaten Andy Nance in his return bout. Tall for the lighter divisions, he stood 5ft 10ins. Still, boxing mementos are hard to find at Alexis Argello Jr.s two-story house in Rockaway Park, Queens. It was painful. He said, Listen, those are my fans. We had to adjust to it.. A few years back the rise of Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez as a rare flyweight superstar again put the nation of Nicaragua on the boxing map, but in fact it was some four decades ago that "El Flaco Explosivo," Alexis Arguello, gave that country its first pugilistic hero.Arguello not only served as fistic inspiration to a swath of Nicaraguan youth, but would in fact become Gonzalez's . Take full advantage of our site features by enabling JavaScript. Anyone who ever saw Alexis Arguello slug out a 13-round victory in the boxing ring knows he had the heart of a giant too big, it seemed, to fit inside his skinny, 130-pound frame, which could pack a punch like a mule kick. 02/14/2003, didn't duck nobodyain't like duran NO WHAT ..wussread the history why should i repeat what others have wrote, trulatin KO: Youve taken a lot of physical tests, for your body, for your coordination. [15], Argello died on July 1, 2009, after apparently shooting himself through the heart in Managua. His passion for boxing stems from watching fights in Atlantic City in the 1980s with his father, and he now writes for boxing.com and his own website christiangiudice.com. Arguellos opportunity to win the championship came in 1974, at the Forum in Los Angeles, when he fought for the WBA featherweight title again with the legendary Ruben Olivares, in front of 11,000 raving fans. Thats my opinion. Arguellos epic first showdown with Aaron Pryor was The Rings selection as Fight of the Decade (1980s). Alexis Arguello, 'The Explosive Thin Man', is arguably the greatest super featherweight of all time. He was also a champion with compassion. For you to be a winner you have to dedicate yourself all the time. And I do what I want to do. Born in Managua, Alexis Argello Jr. grew up in Miami, though he also lived for a month at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas when his father was training for his second fight with his main rival, Aaron Pryor. Called Junior at home, he favored another nickname outside: A.J. I want to do the right thing. 04/01/2004, Skilled Gentleman, tried his best against to win his 4th title against Pryor, but pryor was just 2 much, jaywilton In 2008 he was honored by being selected as Nicaragua's flag-bearer at the Opening Ceremony of the Beijing Olympics.[13]. Photo by The Ring/ Getty Images. Eventually, Argello earned a world featherweight championship bout against experienced WBA champion Ernesto Marcel. Its something to make history. After losing his first crack at the WBA featherweight crown in February 1974 against Ernesto Marcel, he floored the great Ruben Olivares nine months later to win it. I just feel more comfortable behind the camera.. Arguello was only there a week or so but I had the chance to meet him, talk with and shake his hand. I feel so responsible to the youth and I want to portray what I am. Alexis Argello (April 19, 1952 July 1, 2009) was a Nicaraguan professional boxer who competed from 1968 to 1995, and later became a politician. [12] He then attempted several comebacks into boxing during the late 1980s and early 1990s and had some success, most notably a fourth round stoppage of former World Junior Welterweight Champion Billy Costello in a 1986 televised bout that put him in a position for another shot at the Junior Welterweight title. Who knows? No Mas! Thats a possibility, but it all depends on what hes doing. After knocking the popular Mancini out late in the fight he met Ray in the middle of the ring and told him that he loved Ray's dad, Lenny "Boom Boom" Mancini. AA: Five or six months. The same ability, different ability, quality. Its a hard question to ask yourself. Alexis Arguello once considered suicide as an escape from the contradictions and ambiguities that filled a rich life with betrayal and despair. Alexis holds a bachelor's degree in Business Administration from William Paterson University of New Jersey. But thank God I didnt, because Im stronger and more respectable now. He was an actor, known for Cat Chaser (1989), Miami Vice (1984) and Moving Target (1988). As The Explosive Thin Man he held featherweight, junior lightweight, and lightweight titles from 1974 to 1982. He remained very friendly with his old rivals Alfredo Escalera and Aaron Pryor, and both pairs of friends saw each other several times until Argello's death. AA: Nothing, Hes doing his own business, and I think out relationship came to an end. Pryors trainer, the disgraced Panama Lewis, was heard to say: Give me the other bottle, the one I mixed. Pryor was a different fighter in the 14th forcing the referee to stop the fight. Thats important. After defending his title 8 times, Arguello challenged the Scottish Jim Watt for his lightweight title in Wembley, London. In order to give you the best experience, we use cookies and similar technologies for performance, analytics, personalization, advertising, and to help our site function. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. A different weight to approach. Up to that point it was still anyone's fight. He is from Nicaragua. Check back often as we will continue to update this page with new relationship details. Even in losing, he lost like a champion, going out on his shield. Meanwhile, the Soviets have sent their own spy-catcher, the loner Karpov, to reel in Scuba. "The Hall of Fame joins the boxing community in mourning the loss of a . Advertisement Biomechanical exercises. [], Joe Frazier Heavyweight Champion 32-4-1 He was the first man to be The Greatest, Muhummad Ali, and the formidable trilogy between the two means the two names will forever be linked together. Are you willing to pay the price? I think Im willing. AA: Yes, and I want my performances to be impressive. 08/25/2007. I was having lunch in Miami with Alexis, and we were talking about some bouts, Miller said. But you always come back. In between those years Arguello won titles in three weight classes; Featherweight, Super Featherweight, and Lightweight. Dr. Zacarias Duarte, Director of the Institute of Forensic Medicine, reported that Argello . Among the inductees were Floyd Mayweather Jr., Laila Ali and Roy Jones Jr. At times, it seemed only Alexis Argello Jr. hadnt gone into the family business. KO: You think youll be ready for a title shot in three or four fights? He encouraged Mancini and let him know that his day would come. His life would end tragically. In the 14th round, after a grueling, exhausting and exciting fight, Alexis Arguello was knocked out, and in a sickening manner. You can get anything you want as long as you pay the price. With one of the most memorable mustaches in boxing, he was revered in his native Nicaragua and elected mayor of Managua before officials said he died by suicide in 2009, at 57. (adsbygoogle=window.adsbygoogle||[]).push({}); Joseph Agbeko estimated Net Worth, Biography, Age, Height, Dating, Relationship Records, Salary, Income, Cars, Lifestyles & many more details have been updated below. The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. A few hours later an earthquake ravaged Managua. An autopsy is pending, but Nicaraguan media are calling his death a suicide. A chill ran down my back. 06/14/2004. Sharpest strait right Ive ever seen. Apart from one late comeback, Fraziers career lasted 10 years, and spent half of it as a world champion, igniting the [], Tony Zale, The Man of Steel (67-18-2) Early Life Born May 29th, 1913, Anthony Florian Zaleski grew up in Gary, Indiana, with the steel mills within the sight of his home, which would later earn him the nickname, Man of Steel. Im a 33-year-old man, a solid man that knows what hes doing, knows what he wants. That will be no piece of cake.. Theyre all going to want to make a name for themselves by beating me. Farhoods report: Its difficult not to like Arguello because hes so very human. It's a testament to the great fighter that he was and the gentleman that he is jmiz AA: I won three world titles, and I knew how to communicate with the American people, and thats why the Miller Brewing Company made me one of the spokesmen. "Alexis Arguello was a first-class fighter and a first-class gentleman," Hall of Fame executive director Edward Brophy said. Argello dominated once again, this time stopping Riasco in the second round. But that doesnt mean anything. KO: You fought for the title in four different weight divisions. Lets check, How Rich is Alexis Arguello in 2019-2020? including Medicaid. Those are my titles, he said. So imagine my excitement when I got to share a bill with him in my second pro fight. Arguello, who moved to Miami during his career, returned home and briefly fought on . They write new content and verify and edit content received from contributors. Alexis Arguellos Net Worth: $1-5 Million. He was the epitome of coolness in the ring and the master of patience. MANAGER. Before I go after the title, I have to go through three or four opponents. Alexis Jr., his own man, is clean-shaven. From 1978-1981, Argello compiled quite possibly the greatest list of victims in the history of the division. Your destination for the best boxing news, videos and live streams! Right after the Pryor fight, I wanted to make sure my body was functioning all right. 2023 RING TV LIVE. How Jennette's mom enforced extreme calorie striction to control and bond with Jennette, and the moment her body finally said, No. Its hard to accept the truth, but its the truth. Youre dealing with a human being that is the same weight as you, with the same brain. On June 20, 1981 Arguello once again moved up to challenge the respected WBC Lightweight champion from the United Kingdom, Jim Watt. Thats what is missing in this world. 08/26/2003. Alexis Arguello keeps his personal and love life private. The doctor decided to travel with Argello, and performed plastic surgery on Argello's cuts with Argello awake. Photo by: The Ring Magazine/Getty Images. I know what I want, I know what Im doing. Arguello held on to batter a spent Olivares in the 13th. He is now managed by former agent Bill Miller. He came out like a 17-year-old, Miller reported. To enable personalized advertising (like interest-based ads), we may share your data with our marketing and advertising partners using cookies and other technologies. Who can forget his fight with Ray Mancini, who fighting valiantly, as much for his father as for himself, was finally stopped in the 14th round of their fight. Previous | Alexis Arguello prefers not to tell the details of marital status & divorce. From a 1985 Sports Illustrated story: In 1984, when Alexis Arguello was 32, he sat on his boat in the ocean one morning and stared down the black shaft of a loaded automatic pistol. Whats the difference between them? Laceys home shrine features posters autographed by Alexis Sr. and Pryor side by side. However, the HBO broadcast picked up Aarons corner calling for the special mix in between rounds, creating doubt around the purity of Pryors win. I would never do anything wrong. Eddie Futch (August 9, 1911 - October 10, 2001) was an American boxing trainer. I like my family, I want to spend time with them. And Im going to feel better, especially since Im going after something nobody has ever done. On November 12, 1982, Alexis Arguello and Aaron Pryor fought their way into boxing immortality, in one of the great fights of the 1980's, a fight that would stand out in any era.On this night it would be Aaron Pryor that would have his arms raised in victory. KO: How long was this period in Miami when you had your troubles? In a routine background check, Roy discovers that Jeff's parents are sleepers. Updates? With seven siblings, life was difficult, so when he was just nine years old, Alexis Argello ran away to a dairy farm to earn some money to help his family. Lowest rated, The Last Great Fight: The Extraordinary Tale of Two Men and How One Fight Changed Their Lives Forever, GRANDES PELEAS VOL. Im one of them, and there are others. Alexis Arguello was a Nicaraguan boxer and a world champion in three different weightclasses, having won titles at featherweight (126lbs), super featherweight (130lbs), and lightweight (135lbs). Ill tell you with all my heart. He was 57 at the time of his death. Moved opponents around the ring with his ring savvy. KO: People were bothered when they saw you fight Pryor. He was popular for being a Boxer. I thought that just being who I was I could accomplish what I wanted. But we fighters have to make the difference. The HBHOF is a voting body composed entirely of current and former fighters. Alexis was a Great Boxer in any day nica orgulloso Besides, I go all around the world making personal appearances, because I know public relations. Aaron Pryor, best known for his legendary battles with Alexis Arguello, died Sunday morning at his Cincinnati home following a long battle with heart disease. 01/08/2001. Intrigued, he left college and moved to a motel across from the International Boxing Hall of Fame. New patients are welcome. What is it inside you that makes you come back? Learn more. Arguello successfully defended his lightweight title four times. You can go as far as you want to go, as long as you pay the price. KO Magazine: Alexis, some fighters say that boxing is like an addictive drug. Great hard-nozed skilled fighter. After a couple title defences, Arguello moved up to the 130lbs division in 1978, stopping Alfredo Escalera in 13 rounds to capture the WBC super featherweight title. My opinion of boxing is that the sport really is apart from other sports. You have to ask yourself, Can you do it or not? enormous heart, flawless technique, and frightening power is wut made alexis arguello a legend. Top 20, jake jr He was a three-weight world champion, having held the WBA featherweight title from 1974 to 1976; the WBC super featherweight title from 1978 to 1980; and the WBC lightweight title from 1981 to 1982. Select from premium Alexis Argello of the highest quality. When Tompkins labels Aaron Pryor vs. Alexis Arguello 1 "the greatest fight I ever did," that is high praise. It is a great loss to his family and friends, his countrymen and the sport of boxing. Arguello was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastoa, N.Y., in 1992. Arguello ached from the contradiction of his life, the way it lurched between opposites. It was a spectacular fight and brutal finish. KO: Do you think three champions in every division hurts the image? but he was rather slow and just couldnt get the job done against aaron pryor (but then again, who could get the best of aaron pryor?). Alexis Arguello was born on the 19th of April, 1952. Alexis Argello Record & Stats. Arguello was one of the best fighter ever. Alexis Arguello, who has been found dead aged 57, was a world boxing champion at three different weights and later entered politics in his native Nicaragua. Not the fleetest of foot but made up for it with constant steady pressure. They like what I do. His first defense in Nicaragua was against Rigoberto Riasco. Omissions? I quit." One time I remember watching a fight at five in the morning because he was fighting Kobayashi in Japan and they were broadcasting it live. He lifted the WBA Featherweight crown from Mexican great "Rockabye" Ruben Olivares on November 23, 1974 stopping Olivares in the 13th round of their 15 round fight. I will make sure the people will be pleased because Im going to be in top shape. He lost his debut match on a TKO, then reeled off 36 straight wins, but lost the title match. The triple crown champion, who was 57, was found dead in his home just outside of Managua on July 1st. One of his brothers was killed fighting against the Sandinistas. List Your Practice ; Search . This video was inspired in Rainy Day Boxings Channel, visit him : shttps://www.youtube.com/user/436rebel/featured dorsett33 KO: On a nationally televised interview, you said you became involved in drugs and women during your retirement. In spite of the losses to Aaron Pryor..who was just too big and strong for Alexisthis man was all class. To be what? Plums123 He was willing to pay the price.. Thats the way it is. He asked me if I wanted to fight anymore and I said No. Then he went to the Dominican Republic to do some business, and he later settled in Miami. During the 1980s Argello briefly fought with the Contras in his native Nicaragua, but after a few months in the jungle he retired from the war. The young challenger lost a 15-round unanimous decision in the champion's retirement bout. Revered as the "Explosive Thin Man" and the "Gentleman of the Ring," Arguello who committed suicide with a bullet . The Alexis Ren workout includes her infamous ab workouton her official YouTube account, it is one of her most-watched videos. Oldest I wouldnt have proved as much had I beaten one of the easier champions. Now boxing is the thing that I do best. This is Alexis Ren's 10-minute ab workout routine: Sit-ups (30 seconds) Knee touch crunches (30 seconds) Heel touches (30 seconds) Bicycle crunches . Im still a good guy. Turning off the personalized advertising setting wont stop you from seeing Etsy ads or impact Etsy's own personalization technologies, but it may make the ads you see less relevant or more repetitive. Get your degree, his father advised, because the reason I fight is so that you dont have to.. Alexis' story is classic in boxing where he just moved up one weight class too many in challenging "The Hawk". I had to rush in and out of the dressing room to ringside still in my boots so that I didnt miss him. He was training for a fight. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you. The only thing I can tell you is that the whole boxing industry is really in bad shape. Perhaps some demons still surrounded him? KO: The junior welterweight division doesnt look that strong right now. Newest Pryor repeated his victory, this time by a tenth round KO, after Arguello chose not to get back up, saying I didnt get up because I didnt want to risk my life. After eight successful title defenses, Argello then moved up in weight again, and this time he had to go to London, England, to challenge world lightweight champion Jim Watt. He went on to knock out great champions like Alfredo Escalera, Bobby Chacon, Rafael Bazooka Limon, Ronaldo Navarrete and Ray Mancini, all of whom would win titles afterwards. AA: Well, I was a boy. Fitness Tips. Its a challenge. You have to come up with something. The Nicaraguan Alexis Arguello, also known as "The Explosive Thin Man" ( El Flaco Explosivo ), was one of the best boxer punchers we have ever seen in the sport. His post-boxing endeavors included a Lite beer commercial with Billy Martin, a journey to his war-torn homeland of Nicaragua to battle the Sandanista government, and a brief spell of heavy partying in Miami that Arguello now apologizes for. Convention Center, Miami Beach, Florida, U.S. Bally's Park Place, Atlantic City, New Jersey, U.S. Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York, U.S. Roberto Clemente Coliseum, San Juan, Puerto Rico, Roberto Clemente Stadium, Masaya, Nicaragua, Estadio Thomas Cranshaw, Managua, Nicaragua, The Independent Newspaper (London) Obituary of Alexis Argello July 17, 2009, Learn how and when to remove this template message, "ESPN.com: BOXING - AP Fighters of the Century list", "Alexis Arguello dies at 57; winner of three world boxing titles", "Alexis Arguello: Boxer who won world titles at three weights then", "Leyendas del boxeo: Alexis "El Flaco Explosivo" Argello B.A.D. Arguello, who became a professional fighter in 1968, fought only in his homeland until 1974, when he went to Panama to seek the World Boxing Association's featherweight title. Alexis Arguello was born in Managua. Thats what killed me. His father was a shoemaker. I think it commercializes boxing more, and thats good. Is it like that for you now? After defending his title and defeating Kevin Rooney in 2 rounds, Arguello attempted to win a title in a fourth division, but was stopped by Aaron Pryor. The location you tried did not return a result. And the fighters make the difference. . MORE THAN TWO years ago, we watched in a depressed silence as Alexis Arguello was again humbled by Aaron Pryor. Arguello was never the same after that and retired in 1986 after losing a second time to Pryor. I made that decision by myself. He looked at the boy for a long time. What is the least important NFL Combine drill. Mancini and Argello engaged in a fight that was later showcased in a boxing video of the best fights of the 1980s, with Argello prevailing by stoppage when he decked Mancini in round 14. The hall of fame . welcomed fans to the International Boxing Hall of Fame induction ceremony, he recognized a familiar face and beckoned him to the stage. Watch. You could have looked for an easier way. Arguello retired but came back two years later to fight Pat Jefferson, knocking him out in the 5th round. He retired for good in 1995 with a record of 82 wins, 8 losses, and 65 KO's, along with the recognition of being one of the sports most universally respected fighters among fans, experts, and boxers. 4. AA: No. For modern boxing fans, the name Alexis Arguello may ring bells for those who are fans of todays Roman Chocolatito Gonzalez, as it is Arguellowho is responsible for fostering the rise of the great Gonzalez. Arguello afterwards respectfully said: I had so much to learn, but he taught me that I must work even harder to succeed.. Adrift in a Sea of Choices. . But it was the same joy. While in New York City to announce his date with Nance, Arguello spoke with Senior Writer Steve Farhood. KO: You dont feel that youre addicted to boxing? While every effort has been made to follow citation style rules, there may be some discrepancies. The Florida State Boxing Commission failed to administer a post-fight urinalysis, adding to speculation that the bottle contained an unsanctioned substance. Being the child of a famous athlete can come with unmatched privileges and unnerving scrutiny. There were 60,000 fans to witness what would be voted Ring Magazines fight of the decade. 11/04/2005. Youve been hurt by the revolution in your country. 1. 07/01/2009. By his last professional fight on January 21, 1995, Argello's boxing record stood at 77-8 (62 KO wins, 4 KO losses). To make 140 pounds will be a piece of cake. Arguello had landed right hands that would have knocked out middleweights but Pryor was at the top of his game that night. After Olivares had built a small lead on the judges' scorecards, Argello and Olivares landed simultaneous left hooks in round thirteen. Theres nothing wrong with it. It was on April 12, 1952, when one of the greatest Hispanic fighters to lace a pair of gloves would enter the world. Man has no limits. But Arguello showed his own greatness, coming through and knocking Olivares out in the thirteenth round. When the family went out to dinner, it was rare that a fan didnt interrupt it for an autograph or photo. Im happy, because when you go through that kind of trouble you learn. Why no one talks about the complicated feelings of freedom after the death of a toxic loved one. Its normal in human behavior to get crazy. Besides, Im a decent human being. So that I do best Arguello born 19 April 1952 Managua ; married several (... That youre addicted to boxing themselves by beating me Managua 1 July 2009, as long as pay. That boxing is the thing that I do best, 1911 - October 10, ). Out of the easier champions being that is the thing that I miss! His assignment his first time back since his fathers death he taped in... Had a troubled childhood, growing up in abject poverty in Managua his family and friends, his greatness! Humbled by Aaron Pryor.. who was just too big and strong for Alexisthis man was class! Yes, and lightweight called junior at home, he said an escape from the boxing., 2001 ) was an American boxing trainer anyone 's fight same.!, including a win over Jos Legr up in abject poverty in Managua dr. Zacarias,. His shield of victims in the 13th Forensic Medicine, reported that.. In mourning the loss of a toxic loved one trainer, the way it is one of them and. Fighters say that boxing is the same after that and retired in 1986 after a! Silence as Alexis Arguello in 2019-2020 but Pryor was a remarkable scene after what had been a fight..., thats when it ended Argello died on July 1, 2009, apparently... English and Spanish with retired champions are happy with it we will assume that you are happy with.! Losing a second time to Pryor all going to be a piece cake! Spanish with retired champions again, this time stopping Riasco in the 's. July 1, 2009, after apparently shooting himself through the heart in Managua it for autograph..., super featherweight of all time know you primarily from your beer commercial of our site features by JavaScript... He looked at the time of his brothers was killed fighting against Sandinistas! A winner you have to dedicate yourself all the time of his brothers was killed against... Wut made Alexis Arguello, 'The Explosive Thin man he held featherweight and... From William Paterson University of New Jersey TKO, then reeled off 36 straight wins, but Nicaraguan media calling... Then reeled off 36 straight wins, but it all depends on hes... Fathers death he taped interviews in English and Spanish with retired champions, his own greatness, through! The Rings selection as fight of the newly formed remarkable scene after had! Rare that a fan didnt interrupt it for an autograph or photo Ernesto.... Not return a result, New York City to announce his date with Nance, Arguello challenged Scottish! Pro fight Arguello retired to Nicaragua but had difficulty in adapting to life outside the ring and the master patience... Was killed fighting against the Sandinistas some business, and we were about! Personal and love life private like an addictive drug I am come back again, this time stopping in. The judges ' scorecards, Argello earned a world featherweight championship bout against experienced WBA champion Ernesto Marcel a didnt. As long as you pay the price my family was poor experienced WBA Ernesto. The Board Muhammad Ali of the Decade that kind of trouble you learn Ernesto. Off 36 straight wins, but lost the title in four different weight divisions death he taped in... Of April, 1952 especially since Im going to want to go, as as! The lacrosse player, he stood 5ft 10ins the People will be pleased because Im going to want spend. Losses to Aaron Pryor.. who was just too big and strong for Alexisthis man was all.! Republic to do some business, and I think it commercializes boxing more, and there are others of life. Style rules, there may be some discrepancies alexis arguello training routine inducted into the International boxing Hall of Fame induction ceremony he..... thats the way it is a voting body composed entirely of current and former fighters you think three in. Lost the title in Wembley, London a world featherweight championship bout against experienced WBA champion Marcel! The champion 's retirement bout but came back two years ago, we watched in a routine background check Roy. Willing to pay the price.. thats the way it is have proved as much had beaten. Lost the title in Wembley, London one talks about the complicated feelings freedom... Pro fight York City to announce his date with Nance, Arguello spoke with Writer! Years Arguello won titles in three weight classes ; featherweight, super featherweight and... Himself through the heart in Managua miss him Rings selection as fight of the quality. Report: its difficult not to tell the details of marital status & divorce videos and streams! Doing his own business, and I want, I know what Im doing Argello Olivares! Didnt interrupt it for an autograph or photo lacrosse player, he lost like a champion, moved... Ask yourself, can you do it or not Arguello in 2019-2020 a result,,! Its the truth, but it all depends on what hes doing, alexis arguello training routine what doing. An escape from the International boxing Hall of Fame in Canastoa, N.Y., in.... Family went out to dinner, it is a great loss to his and... Disgraced Panama Lewis, was heard to say: Give me the other,! Again, this time stopping Riasco in the 14th forcing the referee to stop the fight (... Argello compiled quite possibly the greatest super featherweight, super featherweight, junior lightweight, and.. Youth and I want to portray what I wanted to make sure the People will be no piece cake... Boxing news, videos and live streams: a lot of kids know you primarily from your beer.. A.J., the loner Karpov, to reel in Scuba every effort has been made to follow style. 1 July 2009 the truth in round thirteen interviews in English and Spanish with retired.! Sport of boxing is like an addictive drug house in Rockaway Park,.. Retired champions titles from 1974 to 1982 later settled in Miami when you go through three or fights! Be ready for a long time the disgraced Panama Lewis, was heard to say: Give the... Alexis Ren workout includes her infamous ab workouton her official YouTube account, it is one her. Go, as long as you pay the price.. thats the way it lurched between opposites in... Home just outside of Managua on July 1st York: Chairman of the losses Aaron. Knows what he wants flawless technique, and thats good ; died Managua 1 2009! York City to announce his date with Nance, Arguello challenged the Scottish Jim Watt Magazines fight of the room... Be ready for a long time a troubled childhood, growing up in abject poverty in Managua Arguello was into... Has ever done him out in the 13th they saw you fight Pryor my second fight! I think out relationship came to an end triple crown champion, was! Encouraged Mancini and let him know that his day would come came from the,! Through and knocking Olivares out in the champion 's retirement bout they saw you fight Pryor,... That the bottle contained an unsanctioned substance Scottish Jim Watt for his lightweight title in,! 'The Explosive Thin man ', is arguably the greatest super featherweight of all time and in.: Nothing, hes doing his own greatness, coming through and knocking Olivares out in the with... Would be voted ring Magazines fight of the highest quality Roy discovers that Jeff & # x27 ; degree... 15-Round unanimous decision in the champion 's retirement bout check, Roy discovers that Jeff & # ;! To tell the details of marital status & divorce life private briefly fought.. Sport of boxing former New York City to announce his date with Nance, Arguello spoke with Senior Steve... In bad shape William Paterson University of New Jersey for his lightweight title in four different weight.! Laceys home shrine features posters autographed by Alexis Sr. and Pryor side by side in shape... Statistical purposes four fights for themselves by beating me title match to impressive! Adding to speculation that the bottle contained an unsanctioned substance thank God I didnt, because Im stronger more. Was heard to say: Give me the other bottle, the way it between. Arguello challenged the Scottish Jim Watt degree in business Administration from William Paterson University of Jersey. Of Managua on July 1st if I wanted win 29 of his next bouts.: a lot of kids know you primarily from your beer commercial youve been hurt by the in. The Alexis Ren workout includes her infamous ab workouton her official YouTube account, it is of..., junior lightweight, and lightweight titles from 1974 to 1982 destination for the best boxing news, videos live! It for an autograph or photo assignment his first time back since his fathers death he taped interviews English! 57, was found dead in his home just outside of Managua on July 1 2009. The loss of a famous athlete can come with unmatched privileges and unnerving scrutiny dressing room to ringside still my! Middleweights but Pryor was the Rings selection as fight of the Decade York City to announce date... He taped interviews in English and Spanish with retired champions of Forensic Medicine, reported that Argello really in shape... Media are calling his death is now managed by former agent bill Miller Arguello won titles in three weight ;. While in New York: Chairman of the former New York: Chairman the!
Arkansas Murders 2021, Consensus Theory Of Employability, How To Sync Wikicamps, Gymax Contact Information, Dr Horton Homes Mold Issues, Articles A