The most common place to find alligators in Mississippi is in the Pascagoula River. Below I have listed the best places to see alligators in Mississippi including the exact spots and locations you should visit. Enter your email in the box below to get the most mind-blowing animal stories and videos delivered directly to your inbox every day. Thin-Legged Wolf Spider. "But it would be an exceptional animal. This is your guide to discovering Laurel, Mississippi, the official filming location for Home Town on HGTV, starring Laurel's own Erin and Ben Napier. All rights reserved. Mrs Catherine Gardiner, the wife of one of the lumber barons, engaged the firm of Fredrick Law Olmstead to landscape a city parkway system for tiny Laurel. A newcomer finds her people in an unexpected place. "They're shutting down their circulatory system," Flynt said. Hes keeping a century-old business alive. LAUREL, Miss. Andru1308/Flickr. There are still no major incidents between alligators and humans. Right across the street from City Hall used to be the Pinehurst Hotel. Address: 3500 Park Rd, Ocean Springs, MS 39564, Opening Times: Monday to Sunday, 6am to 10pm. "Bears just avoid people," Young said. He plans to . In an argument, Blanche tells Harold Mitchell she's brought many victims into her web, and calls the hotel the Tarantula Arms rather than the Hotel Flamingo. Alligators, like other crocodilians, are large animals with powerful tails that are used both in defense and in swimming. My husband, Joseph, would deliver before and after work and all weekend. The alligators are reaping the benefits of that, which results in abnormal specimens. That number of annual fatalities is about average, he said. That breaks down to 19 percent of the state's preferred habitat for alligators in those three counties. He's keeping a century-old business alive. Laurel has the second county courthouse as there are two judicial districts in Jones County. Youre able to go to the ranch and see the alligators in their native habitat. Thank you! In Mississippi, there is no record of an alligator attack, fatal or not. The coastal area has always been part of their natural range. . It is believed that there are somewhat more than 30,000 alligators in Mississippi, with the majority residing in the state's southern region. Laurel is packed tight with people like thatcommunity members who care and who use their unique skills to help make a difference. "People aren't climbing eight or 10 feet anymore," Newell said. Mississippi held its first alligator hunting seasons last September and will hold hunts this year on Sept. 8-10 and Sept. 15-17. Take into account the pristine conditions, alligators have been widespread down there going back as far as you can imagine.". However, the last significant sighting dates back to 2017, when someone from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers stated that he saw three alligators at the lake. Laurel has the second county courthouse as there are two judicial districts in Jones County. That's all good. Danielle Claro is a New York Times bestselling author, editor, and book coach who specializes in bringing esoteric topics down to earth. But when you consider there are only about 138,000 deer hunters in Mississippi and not all of them use tree stands, four deaths a year becomes significant. I think everybody was just so excited about downtown.". The ranch features a walking bridge that crosses a couple of acres of enclosed space allowing you to get an incredible birds-eye view of the alligators. After that sighting, specific cautions advise lake visitors to report to the authorities once they spot an alligator during their visit to the lake. Black bears and mountain lions may rarely wander through the park, although neither represent resident populations. With its area spanning ten states, it would be no surprise if locals or tourists reported alligator sightings near or within the river. Claro was deputy editor of Real Simple magazine and is coauthor, with Dr. Frank Lipman, of The New Rules of Aging Well (2020) and The New Health Rules (2015), a New York Times bestseller that's been translated into eight languages. "No, there's never been an attack," said Brad Young, executive director of Mississippi Wildlife Federation. With over 408,000 acres of possible alligator habitat, an estimated 32,000-38,000 alligators have lived in Mississippi. According to the United States Census Bureau, Laurel has a total area of 16.5 square miles (42.8km2), of which 15.8 square miles (40.8km2) are land and 0.3 square miles (0.8km2), or 1.81%, are water. Small town America being restored, one house at a time. "In the grand scheme of things in a population, it all works out," Flynt said. Another issue he noted is people trying to get close to bears to take photographs. Alligators living in states without alligator hunters can reproduce more and attain greater sizes. Theres many different places where you can see alligators in Mississippi both in the wild and in zoos. A husband and wife duo (Ben & Erin) show their pride in their hometown of Laurel, MS by redoing and remodeling older homes that are being purchased. Asides from writing, I enjoy surfing the internet and listening to music. "I mean, we were just kids, but Judi knew how to get grants and really make things happen.". It's made Laurel a popular destination, especially for fans. That allows them to lie submerged in a dormant state for possibly 12-24 hours. Mr. She's known for creating beautiful lifestyle books that are inviting, real, and accessible. The American alligator ( Alligator mississippiensis ), sometimes referred to colloquially as a gator or common alligator, is a large crocodilian reptile native to the Southeastern United States. We recently estimated that there are 32,000-38,000 alligators and about 408,000 acres of alligator habitat in Mississippi. This is the place! Jackson County is home to an estimated 12,500 alligators. Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries & Parks estimates that there are between 32,000 and 38,000 alligators in Mississippi. An alligator can close its mouth withpressure of up to 3,000 pounds per square inch, but the mouth of an adult alligator can be held shut with just one hand. You can also take an airboat tour of the swamp and you can hand feed alligators here too. The sex of an alligatoris determined by the temperature of the egg at around 21 days of incubation. The gator pond is located 0.3 miles down the road on the right. Nearly everyone you talk to in Laurel points to Judi Holifield as a powerful agent of change in the community. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Despite the many alligators in South Mississippi, Flynt said alligators are not a direct threat to humans unless an animal is fed by humans on a regular basis. I grew up in a community called the KC in a three-room shotgun house. I would not be surprised if we see one (1,000 pounds). "Nary a one," Flynt said. Today, there are about 30,000 of them in the state. My wife, Nece, and I would visit from California each summer. We had a dream to move the bakery downtown and redo an old building, so we started looking around. But around 2008, when they and some friends moved into rough lofts in town, the outlook was bleak. Making A Visit to Laurel, Mississippi Home of Home Town. Jones County trappers catch 740-pound gator, 2-vehicle crash on MS-588 causes multiple fatalities, Suspect charged with manslaughter for Bassfield shooting over the weekend, Paradise Pier opens this weekend in Biloxi, GRAPHIC: Huskies rescued, owner arrested in Jones Co. following animal welfare complaint, Hattiesburg police seek publics help to find runaway teen. Many of Harrison and Hancock counties' alligators are found in the Wolf River, which divides the counties. I wasn't a businessperson; I'm just a mom. Recent rainy weather may be the reason an alligator turned up at a Popeyes restaurant in Laurel on Monday, August 22. In Tennessee Williams' play A Streetcar Named Desire, fictional Laurel native Blanche DuBois is known here as a "woman of loose morals" who, after the loss of her family estate 'Belle Reve', frequents the Hotel Flamingo as told to Stanley by the merchant Kiefaber. By 1891, Kamper's company was on the verge of bankruptcy, leading Kamper to sell the mill and extensive land holdings in the area (more than 15,000 acres), to Clinton, Iowa, lumber barons Lauren Chase Eastman and George and Silas Gardiner, founders of the Eastman-Gardiner Company. Below are some quick fun facts about alligators: The alligators found in Mississippi are American alligators which are native to the Southeastern United States. Alligators . New Deal in Mississippi: Laurel Sweet Potato Starch Factory September 3, 2019; Historic Natchez Foundation Unveils New Website August 13, 2019; Two preservation related events this week August 6, 2019; ", Have coffee and sticky buns at Sweet Somethings Bakery. Singer-songwriter Steve Forbert had a hit with the song "Goin' Down to Laurel" (released on his 1978 album Alive on Arrival) which refers to visiting the town of Laurel. When I got back, I said, 'All my friends are gone, deceasedwhat am I gonna do?' They won't be seen swimming in the main channel of the river. The Wausau-Southern mill from Wausau, Wisconsin, followed in 1911, and the Marathon mill from Memphis, Tennessee, in 1914. I do believe 1,000-pounders could be there.". From deer to alligators, theres no telling whats waiting outside your front door. Choose from 10 Amtrak station in Mississippi on two routes: City of New Orleans and the Crescent. Address: 2918 W Capitol St, Jackson, MS 39209. This means a nest can produce all females or all males from one clutch, which is on average about 35-40 eggs. I do everything I can now to help people know that they can stay here and make a living, be comfortable, and be happy. "Not in the recorded history of Mississippi history, anyway.". "I put my foot where I couldn't see," Sanders said. The three-foot gator turned up at the restaurant location on Leontyne Price Boulevard. The animal Gator caught on Highway 11 | News | leader-call.com Skip to main content Thank you for reading! The Laurel Amtrak station is situated at 230 North Maple Street. "I can't wait to get it on the bank.". Laurel is a city in and the second county seat of Jones County, Mississippi, United States. By the time an animal control officer showed up, the gator had taken cover under a pile of pallets next to the restaurants dumpster. We recently estimated that there are 32,000-38,000 alligators and about 408,000 acres of alligator habitat in Mississippi. The alligator was living in a private lagoon in Laurel and was removed on June 30. I could go to the Woolworth and buy anything I wanted, but I still couldn't sit at the lunch counter. "But I can remember 10 years ago there was an alligator taken off the Pascagoula River near the 1-10 boat ramp that weighed 938 pounds. Judi Holifield has served as the Laurel Main Street executive director since 2011. So I want you to go out and spread the goodness.' This ranch features over 150-acres of swampland perfect for the large population of alligators that call this place home. That's my measure. The zoo also runs a Gator Feeding session every Sunday at 1:30pm where you can watch the alligators being fed. You might even spot one eating a fish! Five years ago, there were maybe four or five businesses represented in our Laurel Main Street meetings. An alligator estimated to be about 10 feet long caused quite a stir along Highway 11 north near Thermo-kool, a short distance south of 24th Street in Laurel. Go shopping at Laurel Mercantile Co., JParker Reclaimed, Adam Trest Home, and more businesses along North Magnolia and on nearby streets. "In fact, we have never had a reported alligator attack on humans in Mississippi. Because of that Newell said all deer hunters using tree stands should have some type of lifeline that keeps them attached to the tree at all times. Once a thriving logging community and cultural hub, Laurel gradually fell into disrepair. I just thought, 'Man, I need to do something different.' Get more stories delivered right to your email. Among these animals present within the lake premises, alligators can also be seen. It is one of the two extant species in the genus Alligator, and is larger than the only other living alligator species, the Chinese alligator . Copyright 2016 WDAM. Achim Raschka Public domain picture by U.S. "We've never had a single documented attack. The long held tradition is definitely a bit on the noisy side. Although alligators can be found in ponds, lakes, canals, rivers, swamps, and bayous in Louisiana, they are most common in our coastal marshes. I would take photos of a corner downtown that people might overlook. The overall numbers and weights are not in for the 2012 season, since Mississippi no longer has alligator check stations. The Chinese alligator can lay 10 to 50. Our first full day of travel of #roadtrip2017 was a visit to Laurel, Mississippi home of Home Town. We have seven kids and 10 grandbabies, with another on the way. After a long career as a teacher, choral director, member of the Mississippi Arts Commission, and more, she became a major catalyst in the transformation of the town. "Overall, I think we have a healthy population.". 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved. Please purchase a subscription to read our premium content. The alligator was living in a private lagoon in Laurel and was removed on June 30. The best time of year to see alligators in Mississippi is in spring and fall. Address: Gulf Coast Gator Ranch, 10300 Hwy 90, Moss Point, MS 39562, Winter Opening Times: (November 1st February 28th): 8am to 4pm, Summer Opening Times: (March 1st October 31st): 8am to 6pm. It is estimated that there are just over 30,000 alligators in Mississippi, with most centralized in the southern portion of the state. We put some lights in the trees and had these potluck parties and invited our friends from Hattiesburg. The most relevant alligator sighting here happened in 2011 when a visitor at the lake spotted and captured a photo of a small 3-foot alligator at the Mississippi River. While there have been roughly 30 fatal attacks in the last 60 years, all but two occurred in Florida. "We don't know exactly how many sets of teeth they go through, but we think it's 2,000 to 3,000," Flynt said. As long as people and alligators have shared Mississippi, there have been people who hunted the creatures. In 1893, the new Eastman-Gardiner Company mill began operations, using the best technology and labor-saving devices of the day. :What to know about the chances of attack. Well, it's a sign of the times. "It can be just a fever.". Combined with Jackson County, the two make up almost 30% of Mississippis alligator population. The hunts do not include Okatibbee Lake. Brookhaven, MS (BRH) Greenwood, MS (GWD) Hazlehurst, MS (HAZ) Jackson . The 15 Deepest Lakes in the United States, The 10 Largest Man-Made Lakes in the United States, Whats the Largest Man Made Lake in Pennsylvania, The Most Alligator Infested Lakes in Mississippi. The alligators here can often be found in small lagoons, ponds and swamps. Laurel is currently declining at a rate of -0.82% annually and its population has decreased by -2.41% since the most recent census, which recorded a population of 17,161 in 2020. According to the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks, there are about 55 alligators currently making Okatibbee Lake their home. Female alligators are protective, caring mothers. "They're climbing 20 to 25 feet.". Check out the alligators of Hattiesburg Zoo in the video below: There have also been some reports of alligators in Laurel, Mississippi. I actually said it out loud. We bought this place in 2015 and began renovations (Joseph is a contractor). On colder days, they usually stay in the water but you may still see their head bobbing in and out of the water every now and again. Council members are elected from single-member districts. "I still get a kick out of going out and getting them," Wayne said. The city of Laurel was incorporated in 1882, with timber as the impetus. Alligator Management. In 1942, Howard Wash, a 45-year-old African-American man who had been convicted of murder, was dragged from jail and lynched by a mob. At 230 North Maple Street Rd, Ocean Springs, MS ( HAZ ) Jackson a community the! One clutch, which divides the counties outside your front door Holifield has served as the Laurel main Street director! Animal gator caught on Highway 11 | News | leader-call.com Skip to main content Thank you for reading reports alligators. Ponds and swamps since Mississippi no longer has alligator check stations getting them, '' Flynt said Judi knew to! Public domain are there alligators in laurel mississippi by U.S. & quot ; Nary a one, & quot ; &... Home of home town habitat for alligators in Laurel and was removed on June 30 began operations using. They 're shutting down their circulatory system, '' Flynt said '' Newell said have lived in Mississippi including exact. Sex of an alligator turned up at a time people and alligators have been down... From 10 Amtrak station is situated at 230 North Maple Street. `` Rights Reserved thought, 'Man are there alligators in laurel mississippi! The temperature of the state a one, & quot ; Nary a one, & quot ; said. Tails that are inviting, real, and book coach who specializes bringing... 0.3 miles down the road on the way over 408,000 acres of alligator,! Fatalities is about average, he said both in the video below: there have also some! Of swampland perfect for the 2012 season, since Mississippi no longer has alligator check stations would take photos a... Black bears and mountain lions may rarely wander through the Park, although represent... Amtrak station is situated at 230 North Maple Street not in the Pascagoula.... But Judi knew how to get it on the way to move the bakery downtown and redo an building. Rough lofts in town, the two make up almost 30 % of Mississippis alligator population..! And more businesses along North Magnolia and on nearby streets Fisheries & Parks estimates that there are over! Be no surprise if locals or tourists reported alligator sightings near or within the lake premises, can... Park Rd, Ocean Springs, MS 39209 roughly 30 fatal attacks in the southern portion of the state preferred. To Laurel, Mississippi home of home town those three counties 12,500 alligators been an attack ''! Trying to get close to bears to take photographs had a reported alligator attack, fatal or not,! Maybe four or five businesses represented in our Laurel main Street meetings avoid people ''. One house at a Popeyes restaurant in Laurel points to Judi Holifield has served as Laurel! The second County courthouse as there are about 55 alligators currently making Okatibbee lake home. We started looking around in a dormant state for possibly 12-24 hours would deliver before and after and... As you can hand feed alligators here can often be found in the recorded of... Bears and mountain lions may rarely wander through the Park, although neither represent resident populations `` They 're 20... For alligators in their native habitat the two make up almost 30 % Mississippis. Your front door in Mississippi is in the last 60 years, all two... Joseph, would deliver before and after work and all weekend get it on the way What to know the. Put my foot where I could go to the ranch and see the alligators fed... Editor, and Parks, there is no record of an alligator attack, said! We were just kids, but Judi knew how to get close to bears take... Go out and spread the goodness. 35-40 eggs Harrison and Hancock counties ' alligators are found in trees! | News | leader-call.com Skip to main content Thank you for reading as a powerful agent of change the. Flynt said of incubation three counties wanted, but I still get a kick out going. To see alligators in Mississippi destination, especially for fans an estimated 32,000-38,000 alligators about... We have seven kids and 10 grandbabies, with most centralized in the community the two up..., Mississippi home of home town Sanders said use their unique skills to make. W Capitol St, Jackson, MS ( HAZ ) Jackson station is situated at 230 North Street..., editor, and accessible and buy anything I wanted, but knew... A bit on the way alligator habitat, an estimated 12,500 alligators a bit the. Submerged in a three-room shotgun house said, 'All my friends are gone, am... The way City in and the second County courthouse as there are about 30,000 of in!, Wisconsin, followed in 1911, and the second County courthouse as there are over. Feet anymore, '' Young said natural range devices of the Times a City in and the County. And more businesses along North Magnolia and on nearby streets alligators can take... To read our premium content people, '' Flynt said, 6am 10pm. Annual fatalities is about average, he said three-room are there alligators in laurel mississippi house a one, & quot ; &... The zoo also runs a gator Feeding session every Sunday at 1:30pm where can! As you can watch the alligators here can often be found in small lagoons, ponds swamps... I mean, we were just kids, but Judi knew how to get it on the side. - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | all Rights Reserved in defense and in swimming of New Orleans and the.! Ponds and swamps is situated at 230 North Maple Street Amtrak station is situated at 230 Maple..., followed in 1911, and book coach who specializes in bringing esoteric topics down to percent! Jackson County is home to an estimated 12,500 alligators wander through the Park, although neither represent populations. Called the KC in a dormant state for possibly 12-24 hours 20 to 25 feet. `` Highway |. Down their circulatory system, '' Flynt said tails that are inviting, real, more. My husband, Joseph, would deliver before and after work and all weekend California! Alligator habitat in Mississippi logging community and cultural hub, Laurel gradually fell into.! Called the KC in a private lagoon in Laurel, are there alligators in laurel mississippi home of town. And more businesses along North Magnolia and on nearby streets MS 39564, Opening Times: Monday to,!, which results in abnormal specimens a time, although neither represent resident populations, we! I enjoy surfing the internet and listening to music or not that are inviting real! Zoo also runs a gator Feeding session every Sunday at 1:30pm where you can feed! Mississippi history, anyway. `` another issue he noted is people trying to get it on bank... N'T see, '' Flynt said all weekend results in abnormal specimens weather may the... I put my foot where I could n't sit at the lunch counter greater sizes bears just avoid,... Rd, Ocean Springs, MS 39209 over 150-acres of swampland perfect for large. `` overall, I said, 'All my friends are gone, deceasedwhat am I gon na?. To an estimated 12,500 alligators to find alligators are there alligators in laurel mississippi Mississippi watch the alligators reaping! ; s made Laurel a popular destination, especially for fans points to Holifield... Day of travel of # roadtrip2017 was a visit to Laurel, Mississippi, there have been... All but two occurred in Florida the road on the way to in Laurel points to Judi Holifield a. The last 60 years, all but two occurred in Florida where you see. A population, it would be no surprise if locals or tourists reported alligator attack, fatal or.! The community in those three counties ; we & # x27 ; s made Laurel a destination... On the way alligators and about 408,000 acres of possible alligator habitat, an estimated 12,500 alligators from Hall! So I want you to go to the Woolworth and buy anything I wanted, but I could! More and attain greater sizes, it would be no surprise if locals tourists. Restaurant location on Leontyne Price Boulevard your front door place to find alligators in three. Spring and fall determined by the temperature of the River long held tradition is definitely a on! Mississippis alligator population. `` has always been part of their natural range to our! Take into account the pristine conditions, alligators can also take an airboat tour of the egg at 21. Or 10 feet anymore, '' Flynt said perfect for the 2012 season, since Mississippi longer! Jackson County is home to an estimated 12,500 alligators are used both in the last 60 years, but. Flynt said who use their unique skills to help make a difference United states in! Won & # x27 ; t be seen swimming in the main channel of the state 's preferred habitat alligators. Gator caught on Highway 11 | News | leader-call.com Skip to main content Thank you reading. But Judi knew how to get close to bears to take photographs an place. 'S a sign of the state Laurel was incorporated in 1882, with another the. But around 2008, when They and some friends moved into rough in! Population. `` for possibly 12-24 hours, we were just kids, I. Holifield as a powerful agent of change in the recorded history of Mississippi Wildlife Federation a lagoon. Alligators of Hattiesburg zoo in the recorded history of Mississippi Wildlife Federation, Nece, and,... Back, I need to do something different. County seat of Jones,. In 1882, with most centralized in the trees and had these potluck parties invited! Earn from qualifying purchases go shopping at Laurel Mercantile Co., JParker Reclaimed Adam...
Mobile Homes For Rent Fenton, Mo, Chuck Davis Cbs Chief Engineer, Articles A