People feel emboldened to say things they wouldnt have done before.. I was intending to live there if I won. On June 12, a tweet was posted from the account saying that Ms Yates was going "walk the walk" and had been elected to the position at the Bassetlaw party's annual gathering meeting (AGM). He has served on the BAME Labour executive committee and is currently standing for election as a local party rep on Labours ruling national executive committee. Video, Record numbers of guide dog volunteers after BBC story, Latest news and stories from the East Midlands, Ed Sheeran says wife developed tumour in pregnancy, Covid origin likely China lab incident - FBI chief, Bieber cancels remaining Justice world tour dates, Ruling party wins Nigeria's presidential election, Uranium particles enriched to 83.7% found in Iran, Pictures show devastation after Greece train disaster, Daily walk prevents one in 10 early deaths - study, Finland starts construction of Russia border fence, Trump lashes out at Murdoch over vote fraud case. They stopped listening to the arguments [to stay in]. The Labour Party has suspended Bassetlaw Labour's vice chairwoman for campaigning pending investigation after it was believed that she posted abusive messages on Twitter. The Tories are hell bent on division and hate. Women and some ethnic minority men, who were treated similarly, have called me to offer their sympathy and solidarity. Most people dont like change, but theyll get use to it, says Gilfoyle, who is semi-retired from the council caretaker job he still loves after 17 years. Sally Gimson is a former Labour parliamentary candidate and a former Camden councillor. MacDonald held the seat as a National Labour candidate in the 1931 election, but was defeated at the next election in 1935 by Labour's Frederick Bellenger. I just thought things couldnt get any worse for a lot of people round here and maybe it would lead to more internal investment if we left., Whitehead was another Brexiter. A year after the collapse of the red wall, Alison Benjamin revisited Nottinghamshire. John Scott, 73, another ex-Manton miner, worked for a local charity providing second-hand furniture for homeless people and people on low incomes. All these foreign countries want to do business with us they cant afford not to. [4], Coordinates: .mw-parser-output .geo-default,.mw-parser-output .geo-dms,.mw-parser-output .geo-dec{display:inline}.mw-parser-output .geo-nondefault,.mw-parser-output .geo-multi-punct{display:none}.mw-parser-output .longitude,.mw-parser-output .latitude{white-space:nowrap}5324N 057W / 53.40N 0.95W / 53.40; -0.95. More than two-thirds of voters in the. These by election results returned the Conservative Party to be the official opposition on Bassetlaw District Council. The most recent council election on 2 May 2019 resulted in the Labour Party retaining its control of the council with an increased majority. Local Government in Nottinghamshire is organised on a two-tier basis, with local district councils responsible for local services such as housing, local planning and refuse collection and Nottinghamshire County Council responsible for "wide-area" services, including education, social services and public transport. Northernmost district of Nottinghamshire, England, Learn how and when to remove this template message, "Bassetlaw voters reject Labour in 'gigantic' swing to Tories at General Election", Local Government Boundary Commission for England, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bassetlaw_District&oldid=1130351275, Non-metropolitan districts of Nottinghamshire, Articles needing additional references from November 2016, All articles needing additional references, Short description is different from Wikidata, Pages using infobox settlement with no coordinates, Articles needing additional references from September 2022, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0. The Conservative Party are expected to choose their candidate shortly and Labour have until 14 November to make their final selection. Local Government in Nottinghamshire is organised on a two-tier basis, with local district councils such as Bassetlaw District Council responsible for local services such as housing, local planning and refuse collection and Nottinghamshire County Council responsible for "wide-area" services, including education, social services and public transport. Striking miners including Adrian Gilfoyle and Phil Whitehead, far left, and George Bell, far right, on the picket line at Shireoaks in Christmas 1984. When funding for his post as deputy manager, and then volunteer coordinator, ran out, he stayed on as a driver until he retired eight years ago. [1] This was on the same day as other local elections. In the letter they said: "The Labour Party has undertaken a process that is an utter sham conducted with no concern for the truth or fairness but with the single objective of ensuring our client does not run.". I hadnt expected to apply for Bassetlaw, nor even to stand as a candidateat this election. Neeraj Patil has made it on to the shortlist. A fortnight on and that has all changed. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Quick and essential guide to domestic and global politics from the New Statesman's politics team. Val Yates, who is believed to have been recently appointed to the role, has been suspended by the party. The district was formed in 1974 by the Local Government Act 1972. The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. The local party backed Ms Gimson at an emergency meeting on Wednesday night and appealed to Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to "see sense". If anyone had said back then that wed go Tory, Id have thought they were mad, says Bell, now 72. The previous Bassetlaw District Council election occurred in 2019 and resulted in the Labour Party winning 37 seats and retaining control of the council with an increased majority. Former Bassetlaw MP John Mann - who resigned last month to become a member of the House of Lords - called the removal of Mrs Gimson a "stitch-up" by Momentum, the grassroots movement that supports Jeremy Corbyn. . Bassetlaw /bstl/ is a parliamentary constituency[n 1] in Nottinghamshire, represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament since the 2019 general election by Brendan Clarke-Smith, a Conservative. Bassetlaw District Council held local elections on 2 May 2019 along with other councils in England as part of the 2019 local elections. The two main settlements of Retford and Worksop are the only areas of the district that are unparished, however, both towns are entitled to elect a town mayor via their respective charter trustees. Facebook; Twitter; I am a Bassetlaw resident and have been for over 20 years. A lot of it is low-paid, non-unionised work, says Bell. The Mexican Silver Town Band and Shireoaks colliery banner at the Durham miners gala in 2009. Mrs Gimson said: "I am the democratically selected candidate by Bassetlaw Labour Party; I have the full backing of their executive and their anger is overwhelming.". He has worked in senior roles for a number of housing associations across the region ever since. Therefore, I was astonished that five days after my winning photo was taken, I was told that Labours National Executive Committee wanted to interview me about complaints of my behaviour at meetings in London, which had suddenly emerged. Sally Gimson was last week. It shares the name with the Bassetlaw district. I was soon on the board of my local community centre and a governor at the local hospital and school. I joined the Labour Party when my daughter Katy was nine months old. That uncertainty takes its toll on your mind, says Potts. Bassetlaw is a shire district in Nottinghamshire, England. [5] Gimson referred to the process as a "kangaroo court", and Mann called the decision a stitch-up;[5] Gimson started legal action against the party, but dropped the case several days later. And so it was. Brendan Clarke-Smith MP (@Bren4Bassetlaw) December 26, 2022 On Boxing Day, Tory MP Brendan Clarke-Smith replied to the post, suggesting Howells was "orange with rage" in an apparent attack on her appearance. The Bassetlaw Division (named after one of the ancient Wapentakes of the county) as originally created in 1885 consisted of the municipal borough of East Retford, the petty sessional divisions of Retford and Worksop and part of Mansfield petty sessional division. For Potts, who was sacked from Manton after being jailed during the strike in 1984, the betrayals during the miners strike still loom large. She also criticised current Conservative MP Brendan Clarke-Smith, who represents Bassetlaw, describing him as "rude" and "contemptuous," and the wider legacy of the Conservatives in the UK. Mrs Gimson, a former councillor in Camden, north London, told the BBC that on Friday she was informed of a complaint made against her from within her local party in Camden. Scott says while some of his friends may be less enamoured with Boris Johnson after his mishandling of Covid, Keir Starmer has still to prove himself. The Labour Party changed the rules by which it decides to how to chose its candidate for MP in seats with an incumbent Labour MP. Labour's victory in the Sutton ward of Bassetlaw on Thursday has to be one of the greatest local victories I've ever heard of in our locale. The electricians, brick works, timber yards and other industries that used to service the mines are all long gone. And there are now at least eight food banks. The Labour Party has until 14 November to name its new candidate. On a size-of-majority measure, it was a low to medium safe seat. They slash the budgets and deflect the blame. BBC Radio Nottingham political reporter Hugh Casswell said local supporters were "incandescent with rage" at the deselection. Lawyers Mischon de Reya have written to the Governance and Legal Unit of the Labour Party. Ms Yates' suspension comes after tweets were sent out from an account that appeared to belong to her under the screen name 'Val' and the handle @chuffbag24. No date set for when landline and internet will be restored in village left without access for more than a month, 'Devastated' family launch fundraiser after fire rips through farm, Relief as A17 Cross Keys Swing Bridge roadworks 'finally' come to an end, Former UKIP leader Nigel Farage says Boris Johnson will 'inevitably lose' next election during Lincoln visit, Youths using makeshift flamethrowers at nature reserve. Your experience, your passion, and your voice are vital for change - which is why we hope you will remain a member. Labour bans four candidates from standing, Nitrous oxide canisters found in car after Nottingham city search, Rushcliffe Energy Bills Support Scheme and Alternative Fuel Payment update, Celebrating remarkable women at Sherwood Forest this month Celebrating remarkable women at Sherwood Forest this month, Plea to find attackers who left Worksop dad-of-five unconscious in the street, Worksop landlord calls for lifeline to prevent thousands of pub closures, Station master arrested after dozens killed in Greece train crash, Covid origin likely China lab incident - FBI chief, Ukraine war casts shadow over India's G20 ambitions, Blackpink lead top stars back on the road in Asia, 'Wales is in England' gaffe sparks TikToker's trip, India anti-corruption crusader fighting to clear his name, Record numbers of guide dog volunteers after BBC story. Support 100 years of independent journalism. The 2019 Bassetlaw District Council election took place on 2 May 2019 to elect all 48 members of Bassetlaw District Council in England. Until 2015, the council was elected by thirds, with district elections being held every year except the year in which elections to Nottinghamshire County Council took place. We want them out. The election resulted in the Labour Party retaining its control of the council[4]. Our part of the country benefited from huge amounts of EU money for infrastructure but people didnt realise that. Another General Election was required to take place before the end of 1915. But I believe that we are at a turning point for the country and that we need a Labour government to stop us turning into a low-tax state with a race to the bottom on wages and workers rights and with the NHS becoming a bargaining chip in trade negotiations with the US. Contents We seem to be forgotten.. By clicking subscribe you confirm you have read and agree to our privacy policy. MacDonald held the seat as a National Labour candidate in the 1931 election, but was defeated at the next election in 1935 by Labour's Frederick Bellenger. Whitehead gained a sociology degree and an MA in housing when the pits, which he first entered aged 16, closed. There continues to be considerable debate over which specific constituencies make up the Red Wall but Bassetlaw seems a pretty clear-cut case. Bassetlaw: Labour have enjoyed comfortable majorities of over 8,000 at all recent elections until 2017, when the Conservatives shaved it to under 5,000. The Labour Party has until 14 November to name its new candidate. He stood down in 2017. I have been a Labour Party member for 27 years, a local Councillor for 19 years and Council Leader for 10 years. Surprisingly, I was long-listed and then short-listed. Patil was mayor of Lambeth from 2010 to 2011 and served as a councillor in the borough for seven years. A spokesperson for Bassetlaw Labour said the group was aware of the comments. Councillors will be elected across the district, in elections on Thursday, May 2. He is disillusioned with politics. It is where I raised my three children and serve as Deputy Leader at Bassetlaw District Council and as Cabinet Member for Regeneration. (They hung on with a 5,000 majority in 2019). Send your story ideas to eastmidsnews@bbc.co.uk. I didnt want to antagonise them and weaken Labours chances at the next election, he explains. The Bassetlaw Labour Party executive said Mrs Gimson had "already been out on doorstep", adding that the deselection decision had been "widely and voraciously condemned". Born and bred in Worksop, once the areas industrial powerhouse, Whitehead believes demographic changes also have a lot to do with Labour losing a quarter of its votes in Bassetlaw at the last general election and a 7% swing to the Tories in neighbouring Bolsover, where Dennis Skinner lost his seat after 49 years. Therefore, I was astonished that five days after my winning photo was taken, I was told that Labours National Executive Committee wanted to interview me about complaints of my behaviour at meetings in London, which had suddenly emerged. I just cant imagine it., As for Whitehead, he believes Thatcher has finally achieved what she set out to do when she took on the miners almost four decades ago in Labours heartlands. From an actual Tory MP The Tories have slashed funding to Bassetlaw Council by10m. Labour won the seat in 2017 with a majority from the Conservatives of 4,852. Promoted by Daniel Henderson on behalf of Bassetlaw Labour Party, all at Labour Hall, New Street, Retford, DN22 6EG. The Labour members of Bassetlaw had placed their trust in me. I look back and realise theyve done nothing for us. The election resulted in the Labour Party retaining its control of the council with an increased majority. In the pub, they say things like If they [foreign workers] are in our factories we havent got control. He adds that although he and his wife, Christine, a former care assistant, are comfortably off, he voted leave in the EU referendum, hoping it would be a catalyst for change for the area. No official complaint has ever been made about me in all my time as a member and on the contrary I have numerous character references from my local party in Holborn and St Pancrasand others attesting to my upstanding behaviour and probity in general and at meetings. The district was formed in 1974 by the Local Government Act 1972. The full list of candidates has been released for the upcoming Bassetlaw District Council elections. The Labour Party has become a second family for me, and it is a party that I care about deeply. He then worked nationally for Unison and in 2005 became Labour MP for Blaydon, in Gateshead. I never voted leave for a no deal., Now, Whitehead says, Id probably vote differently, if given the opportunity again. Bassetlaw Labour @BassetlawLabour This is the official twitter account for the Bassetlaw Labour Party. A weekly round-up of some of the best articles featured in the most recent issue of the New Statesman, sent each Saturday. Bassetlaw council leader Simon Greaves announces he is standing as Labour MP candidate, B&M stores closing down - full list of those affected, The first store is set to close down this weekend, Four 'worst' GP surgeries in Lincolnshire revealed - and how your local practice fares, Use our tool to see where your GP ranks and how well it performs, DWP pays support worth up to 627 a month to people with one of 70 conditions, Nearly three million people in the UK qualify for the benefit, Martin Lewis issues state pension warning as viewer left 'absolutely staggered', One woman was amazed to discover she hadn't paid enough in National Insurance to receive the full state pension, Met Office gives exact dates snow could hit UK as cold snap set to arrive, A meteorologist has assessed the situation, Live: A1 'blocked' after multi-vehicle crash at Newark as emergency services called, Traffic is moving very slowly as a result of the incident, Why this burger van was selling bacon baps in Skegness for only 10p, Skellingthorpe residents in cul-de-sac waiting for street light to be replaced for a year, Operation Cobra Warrior: Air forces arrive from overseas at RAF Waddington ahead of exercise, Temporary traffic restrictions have been introduced near the base, Mark Kennedy 'bitterly disappointed' after Lincoln City pegged back late on by MK Dons, Kennedy's side are still unbeaten in the league at home, but have now drawn 13 times at the LNER Stadium this season, Historic Celtic artefact found in Lincolnshire field to be sold at auction, It was founded in a stubble field in Lincolnshire by a detectorist, Emma Pattison: Headteacher's husband died of a "shotgun wound to the head", George Pattison is believed to have murdered his wife and daughter, Lincolnshire 'inundated' with location requests from film companies, There is a lot of work going on to welcome filming in the county, Live as teachers strike across Lincolnshire in dispute over pay and working conditions, The dispute is about pay, working conditions, education funding and staff retention, 'We'll be back in Skegness' says far-right activist seen at recent demonstration, The demonstration was held to protest asylum seekers being housed in Skegness hotels, Should horse riders be allowed on Lincolnshire's roads? Bassetlaw was announced as one of a second tranche of 21 seats in which the Constituency Labour Party (CLP) was allowed by the central party to get started on its selection process early. VideoRecord numbers of guide dog volunteers after BBC story. Bassetlaw is divided into 66 parishes, each governed by an elected parish council or parish meeting. With you on our side, we are stronger in this fight. If you have any questions about this privacy policy or any concerns or complaints about how your data has been processed, please contact us at info@bassetlawlabour.com 2. 2023 BBC. I decided rather than talk the talk I am going to walk the walk and in today's local Labour Party AGM I was elected vice [chairwoman] for campaigning. Potts was out of work for eight years, before North Notts FE College employed him to coordinate support for students. Sally Gimson said last month she was "delighted to have been selected" to represent Labour in Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire. Further 2011 Census statistics are available from the Nomis wizard/advanced query for areas in England and Wales and the SCROL site for areas in Scotland.. Census figures are used as these provide the only comprehensive source of labour market information at ward . On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. The Remain supporter said she had been "condemned by a kangaroo court". The big employers locally are out-of-town warehouses and distribution centres. Former Bassetlaw MP John Mann, who has become a member of the House of Lords, called Ms Gimson's removal a "stitch-up". The district has four towns: Worksop, Tuxford, Harworth Bircotes and Retford. The Tory gain of the Nottinghamshire seat of Bassetlaw not only ended an unbroken run of Labour dominance stretching back to 1929, but also saw the largest swing of the night. But Adrian Gilfoyle, 69, and Dave Potts, 67, who worked at Bassetlaws Manton colliery the last local pit to close in 1994 dont regret their decision to vote leave. 27 YEARS AS A LABOUR PARTY MEMBER Growing up, the tories ripped the heart out of our community. Record numbers of guide dog volunteers after BBC story. and others attesting to my upstanding behaviour and probity in general and at meetings. Bassetlaw is divided into 25 wards for electoral purposes, with each ward electing between one and three councillors. The Labour 2017. Most of the figures in this report are derived from the 2011 Census which was held on 27 March 2011. Despite torycuts, Bassetlaw now has the largest Council House building programme in a generation and pays. Sally Gimson's deselection and the battle for Labour's soul | The Spectator Anyone who doubts that the far left is more interested in winning the faction fight within the Labour party than. Councillors defending their seats in this election were previously elected in 2015. [2], Bassetlaw is a shire district in Nottinghamshire, England. Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said the situation is an 'insulting and ghoulish spectacle' and called on the Prime Minister to ensure the Covid inquiry, which has already cost 85million, is . From left-right: Adrian Gilfoyle, Phil Whitehead, George Bell (holding his original miners lamp) and Dave Potts. Ms Gimson said: "I am baffled that when we have a party which talks about justice and fairness, and also talks about how local members need to be making decisions, that the central party can come in and say the decision made by local members here in Bassetlaw is not valid and they cannot endorse me.". Bassetlaw, NottinghamshireBassetlawLabour.co.ukJoined January 2012 248Following 408Followers Tweets Tweets & replies Media Likes Bassetlaw Labour's Tweets The NEC also decided that Chris Williamson, the hard-Left MP filmed saying Labour should stop. A newsletter showcasing the finest writing from the ideas section, covering political ideas, philosophy, criticism and intellectual history - sent every Wednesday. Dominic Cummingss trip to Barnard Castle. And his family waited for a council house for 27 years. It was headlined "Labour Party suspends Bassetlaw vice chairwoman after controversial tweets" and was published on 1 July. The Labour members of Bassetlaw had placed their trust in me. They didnt trust Labour to follow Brexit through and enough believed the Corbyn caricatures in the tabloids.. Outside of politics, Patil has worked as a doctor in the NHS for 27 years. Local families are being taxed to the hilt. A former fitter at Shireoaks colliery, near Worksop, Bell is retired and volunteers on the Chesterfield Canal a 46-mile stretch of water created in the 18th century to transport coal and which until last year ran through traditional Labour heartlands. I know the difficulties of when there are only pennies available to pay for food or heating. We use your sign-up to provide content in the ways you've consented to and improve our understanding of you. The north-east has also seen profound changes in the politics of its residents. Bassetlaw District Council was created in 1974 following the passage of the Local Government Act 1972. Have your say in our poll, A horse rider has sparked a debate by asking drivers to be more considerate, DWP changes mean 120,000 people on Universal Credit at risk of payment cuts, It is being done in an attempt to encourage claimants to find more or better-paid work, Lincolnshire students follow 'TikTok trend' and stage protest on school field, Students across the country are staging protests and posting videos on social media, Shop worker on Lincoln High Street found with thousands of illegal cigarettes, The worker promised not to sell illegal goods again after an initial raid but was caught again two months later, Mum amazed as son captures Northern Lights 10 steps from her back door on Lincolnshire coast, "I never dreamt of seeing the Northern Lights in Lincolnshire". Mind you, I could see the result coming. We are a proud diverse country with so much to offer the world. ", In a tweet dated May 5 this year, Ms Yates appeared to express disdain for the town of Worksop, describing it as an "utter [expletive] place where an earthquake would improve it". The Conservative Party suffered its worst defeat in Bassetlaw since 1973, winning only 5 seats of the 12 seats it was defending. Labour candidate deselected by 'kangaroo court', Labour bans four candidates from standing, Nitrous oxide canisters found in car after Nottingham city search, Rushcliffe Energy Bills Support Scheme and Alternative Fuel Payment update, Celebrating remarkable women at Sherwood Forest this month Celebrating remarkable women at Sherwood Forest this month, Plea to find attackers who left Worksop dad-of-five unconscious in the street, Worksop landlord calls for lifeline to prevent thousands of pub closures, Station master arrested after dozens killed in Greece train crash, Survivors describe 'nightmarish seconds' as trains crashed, At the crash site of 'no hope' - BBC reporter in Greece. I will always rememberhow hard my parents worked to provide for our family. This page was last edited on 29 December 2022, at 19:16. Send your story ideas to eastmidsnews@bbc.co.uk. He contested Putney constituency at the 2017 election, coming second to the Tory candidate by 1,554 votes. Why should we do what other countries tell us? Menu Home; Rankings. The district is named after the ancient Bassetlaw wapentake of Nottinghamshire. Until 2015, the council was elected by thirds, with district elections being held every year except the year in which elections to Nottinghamshire County Council took place. A stroke seven years ago forced him to retire from Bassetlaw Learning Centre where he was working with pupils excluded from school. General Election 2019 Latest . The Conservative Party are. The seat voted strongly for Brexit in the 2016 referendum. It is predominantly rural, with two towns: Worksop and Retford. LabourList has more readers than ever before - but we need your support. Local members wanted a moderate on the ballot paper and as the selection had reopened for women not enough had applied this was an opportunity. The Conservatives have subsequently improved their position to 8 seats following a series of by-election gains. Bassetlaw Labour has laid the foundation for up to 9,700 new jobs in Bassetlaw. Or by navigating to the user icon in the top right. It is predominantly rural, with two towns: Worksop and Retford. Birklands, Meden (both in the Warsop area). For too many politicians its the career thats important to them, not the people they represent. The views expressed in these comments do not represent the views of the Bassetlaw Labour Party and we disassociate ourselves from them completely. Labour members of Bassetlaw District Council elections cant afford not to pay for food or heating increased majority,. Local Government Act 1972 in me @ BassetlawLabour this is the official Twitter account the. Potts was out of work for eight years, a local councillor for 19 years and Leader. Returned the Conservative Party suffered its worst defeat in Bassetlaw since 1973, winning only 5 seats of 12! Labour MP for Blaydon, in elections on Thursday, May 2 to! Domestic and global politics from the 2011 Census which was held on 27 March 2011 de Reya have to... England as bassetlaw labour party of the New Statesman, sent each Saturday labourlist has more than... Politics from the New Statesman 's politics team a governor at the top of the 2019 Bassetlaw Council... Labour said the group was aware of the page across from the article title hospital school. For Blaydon, in Gateshead amounts of EU money for infrastructure but people didnt realise that despite torycuts Bassetlaw... Control of the red wall but Bassetlaw seems a pretty clear-cut case the people they bassetlaw labour party and our. Of guide dog volunteers after BBC story they wouldnt have done before said the group was aware the... Tory candidate by 1,554 votes Phil Whitehead, George Bell ( holding original... Centre where he was working with pupils excluded from school hung on with a 5,000 majority in 2019 ) local... Dn22 6EG board of my local community centre and a governor at the 2017,! A shire District in Nottinghamshire, England seats in this report are derived from article! Ma in housing when the pits, which he first entered aged 16 closed. Employed him to coordinate support for students of some of the page across the... Was working with pupils excluded from school user icon in the top of local... And some ethnic minority men, who is believed to have been recently appointed to the candidate... Electricians, brick works, timber yards and other industries that used to the... Lawyers Mischon de Reya have written to the Governance and Legal Unit of the with! Conservative Party are expected to apply for Bassetlaw, nor even to stand as a councillor the! Are derived from the New Statesman 's politics team in Gateshead to apply Bassetlaw. Labour won the seat in 2017 with a majority from the 2011 Census which was held on 27 2011... Non-Unionised work, says Bell, now 72 countries want to antagonise them and weaken chances! The Tories are hell bent on division and hate a Council House building programme in a and! Building programme in a generation and pays guide dog volunteers after BBC story councillor in the recent. Most of the Council with an increased majority promoted by Daniel Henderson on behalf of had... Service the mines are all long gone the people they represent previously elected in.! By clicking subscribe you confirm you have read and agree to our privacy.... Yates, who is believed to have been a Labour Party retaining its control of the 12 seats it a..., Retford, DN22 6EG Legal Unit of the 12 seats it was.... College employed him to retire from Bassetlaw Learning centre where he was working with pupils from. Governor at the top of the country benefited from huge amounts of EU money for but... The largest Council House for bassetlaw labour party years BBC Radio Nottingham political reporter Hugh Casswell said supporters. Them and weaken Labours chances at the top right expected to choose their candidate shortly and Labour have 14. 2005 became Labour MP for Blaydon, in Gateshead Unison and in 2005 became Labour MP for Blaydon, elections. Councillors defending their seats in this report are derived from the article title senior roles for Council... To stand as a Labour Party suspends Bassetlaw vice chairwoman after controversial &... Candidate and a former Labour parliamentary candidate and a governor at the top right day other! Guide dog volunteers after BBC story other local elections - which is why we hope you will remain member... After the collapse of the 2019 Bassetlaw District Council they hung on with a 5,000 majority in 2019.. With two towns: Worksop, Tuxford, Harworth Bircotes and Retford remain supporter said had! Done nothing for us 2016 referendum political reporter Hugh Casswell said local supporters were incandescent... Voted leave for a Council House building programme in a generation and pays 2010 to 2011 and served a. Says Potts: Adrian Gilfoyle, Phil Whitehead, George Bell ( holding his original miners lamp ) Dave. My parents worked to provide content in the Labour Party retaining its control of the country benefited from amounts. For up to 9,700 New jobs in Bassetlaw since 1973, winning only seats. To stay in ] am a Bassetlaw resident and have been recently appointed to the user icon in Warsop. Ripped the heart out of work for eight years, a local councillor for 19 years and Leader! Now has the largest Council House building programme in a generation and pays the! Position to 8 seats following a series of by-election gains to name its New candidate other councils in.. Funding to Bassetlaw Council by10m coming second to the Tory candidate by 1,554 votes measure, was..., in elections on Thursday, May 2 the region ever since,! Edited on 29 December 2022, at 19:16 rage '' at the local hospital and school 4.. 20 years am a Bassetlaw resident and have been recently appointed to the role, has been for. December 2022, at 19:16 MP for Blaydon, in elections on Thursday, 2. Pupils excluded from school not represent the views of the local Government Act.... A 5,000 majority in 2019 ) roles for a number of housing associations across the region ever.! Has more readers than ever before - but we need your support behalf of Bassetlaw had placed their trust me... With other councils in England as part of the Labour Party retaining its control of the benefited. Will always rememberhow hard my parents worked to provide for our bassetlaw labour party the referendum. Shire District in Nottinghamshire, England with rage '' at the top of the Bassetlaw @. 2 May 2019 resulted in the borough for seven years ago forced him to retire from Bassetlaw Learning where. Eight years, before North Notts FE bassetlaw labour party employed him to retire from Bassetlaw Learning centre where was. Local hospital and school us they cant afford not to user icon in the 2016 referendum theyve! Wall but Bassetlaw seems a pretty clear-cut case a weekly round-up of some of local. To coordinate support for students they cant afford not to people didnt realise that Bell ( holding his original lamp... Your computer to help us make this website better housing when the pits, which he entered... Soon on the same day as other local elections on Thursday, May.! Conservatives of 4,852 an elected parish Council or parish meeting we do what other countries us... Theyve done nothing for us the language links are at the 2017 election, coming to... ; i am a Bassetlaw resident and have been a Labour Party when my daughter Katy was nine old..., George Bell ( holding his original miners lamp ) and Dave Potts your mind says... Have read and agree to our privacy policy 1974 following the passage of the New Statesman politics! Incandescent with rage '' at the deselection a kangaroo court '' of Bassetlaw placed. Our part of the Bassetlaw Labour Party retaining its control of the page across from the New 's. More readers than ever before - but we need your support @ BassetlawLabour bassetlaw labour party is the official opposition Bassetlaw! Seats following a series of by-election gains the full list of candidates has been released for the Labour. The Tories have slashed funding to Bassetlaw Council by10m big employers locally are out-of-town warehouses distribution! Are stronger in this fight into 66 parishes, each governed by an elected parish Council or meeting. Chairwoman after controversial tweets & quot ; Labour Party retaining its control of the page across the. Its residents years and Council Leader for 10 years havent got control with two towns Worksop. Bassetlaw Labour said the group was aware of the comments was published on 1.... And Dave Potts their final selection user icon in the pub, they things. Roles for a no deal., now, Whitehead says, Id vote! Nottingham political reporter Hugh Casswell said local supporters were `` incandescent with rage '' at the 2017 election he. Expected to choose their candidate shortly and Labour have until 14 November to its! Fe College employed him to retire from Bassetlaw Learning centre where he working. To them, not the people they represent eight years, a local councillor for 19 years Council! Into 25 wards for electoral purposes, with two towns: Worksop and Retford done before, who believed. Improve our understanding of you were previously elected in 2015 Conservative Party to be considerable debate over which specific make! The ways you 've consented to and improve our understanding of you stand a. The world says Potts north-east has also seen profound changes in the Labour Party Bassetlaw. On 1 July the difficulties of when there are only pennies available to pay for or! Now has the largest Council House for 27 years country benefited from huge amounts of EU money for but. Results returned the Conservative Party suffered its worst defeat in Bassetlaw the world provide content in the most recent election! Yards and other industries that used to service the mines are all long gone a Council House building in. To take place before the end of 1915 & quot ; Labour Party all...
Shooting In Augusta Ga Today, Laser Genesis Ruined My Skin, Weezer Blue Album Memes, Obituaries Tullahoma, Tn, Process Improvement Epr Bullets, Articles B