Please contact Find a Grave at [emailprotected] if you need help resetting your password. Benton, who'd been at Champaign-based WCIA-TV Channel 3 since 2005, died at about 10:35 a.m. at his Champaign home with his family at his side. Pending Posts Some posts require funeral home approval before being posted. Learn about how to make the most of a memorial. You need a Find a Grave account to continue. In a December 2014 interview with Illinois Public Media's Jeff Bossert, Benton admitted surprise, but hoped it would inspire others. And in LaCrosse, Wis., anchor Jennifer Livingston opened up in 2012 about her lifelong struggle with weight after being prompted by a fat-shaming letter from a viewer. CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (WLS) -- WCIA news in Champaign, Ill., announced Tuesday that former anchor Dave Benton died at home after a battle with brain cancer. Benton, who has been with Champaigns WCIA-3 news team for almost nine years, completed radiation treatment in February, but a new tumor grew back. Champaign- David P. Dave Benton 52, of Champaign, left this life at 11:22 a.m. Tuesday May 26, 2015 at his home with his loving family by his side. The sponsor of a memorial may add an additional. Ive had you sitting next to me for nine years, and Im going to hold on to every single day that I can., Related: Facebook Apologizes for Banning 2-Month-Old Heart Patients Gory Photo. December 25, 2021. He left the air in April after more than nine years at the Champaign television station. 300 N. Goodwin Benton, a native of the Chicago area, first started at Channel 3 in 2005. As manager of this memorial you can add or update the memorial using the Edit button below. It was at an early age that Dave Benton knew he would be a news anchor. Sorry! Scott Beatty was there. Doctors have told me that I may have four to six months to live. He added that hell be trying a new antibody chemotherapy treatment to help slow the tumors growth. Dave Benton passed away the morning of May 26. Use Escape keyboard button or the Close button to close the carousel. Search above to list available cemeteries. He was preceded in death by his father and his paternal and maternal grandparents. Oops, we were unable to send the email. Photos larger than 8Mb will be reduced. - Click to learn more.. So, as we've mentioned before, we all have an inside track . WCIA-TV news director Andy Miller said Dave Benton died Tuesday at home in Champaign. Dave benton news anchor how to# Dave benton news anchor free# Crime Stoppers' previous maximum reward for these types of crimes was $1,000. Activities and Societies: Alpha Tau Omega. What I appreciate is that I see a lot of people getting treatment when Im getting my treatment, and some of them are facing challenges I cant imagine.. Benton, a native of the Chicago area, first started at Channel 3 in 2005. He always said the station's heritage was hard to ignore. One of Editor & Publishers 10 That Do It Right 2021. Teresa Benton also known as Terri attended Durand High School and Byron High School, she then attended Northern Illinois University. Recommend David's obituary to your friends. Long after his November 2013 diagnosis, Benton said he chose to continue working, and live life as normal as possible. He never wanted it to be about him, only about those around him a professional to the very end. Intel agencies: No sign adversaries behind 'Havana syndrome', RFK killer Sirhan Sirhan denied parole by California board, Jonathan Majors flexes his acting muscle, turns heavyweight, Tesla says it will cut costs of next generation cars in half, 'A little scary': Iditarod begins with smallest field ever, Chicago officer critical after shot on city's southwest side. He was 52. Benton, a native of the Chicago area, first started at Channel 3 in 2005. This memorial has been copied to your clipboard. Daves experience included anchoring evening newscasts in Cedar Rapids, IA and Wausau, WI. Use the links under See more to quickly search for other people with the same last name in the same cemetery, city, county, etc. 0 cemeteries found in Champaign, Champaign County, Illinois, USA. Almost yours: 2. to local arts, education, new ideas, and community needs, sent straight to your inbox. Benton has won a number of awards that include being voted "Most Beloved TV Personality" in 1999, a NBNA first place documentary award in 2003, and a NBNA Eric Sevareid Award of Merit for general reporting. CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) An Illinois television news anchor who continued to work while he struggled with brain cancer has died. An Illinois television news anchor who continued to work while he struggled with brain cancer has died. Dave Benton, CBS Champaign station anchor. All photos appear on this tab and here you can update the sort order of photos on memorials you manage. I may not be around five years from now to check to see who all won the awards, but the reality is, is that I hope that a lot people do, and Im sure they will. Bentonwas 52. I hope to offer them information they can use every day. Dave Benton revealed live on air he had six months to live (YouTube) An American news anchor working for the WCIA Channel 3 news in Illinois told viewers on the show on Thursday that he. R.I.P. Benton said his decision to go public with the illness, and update viewers on his health, helped others deal with similar situations. The longtime newsman died Tuesday, six weeks after leaving the . In regards to Daves career, his message was very simple. We will sadly miss him an 2017-2023 Tribute Archive. To use this feature, use a newer browser. You want to go out and do go things, I know its important to be involved in the community, and I wanted to do that and to do it effectively, but it never led to me thinking, gee, I should get an award, or there should be an award in my name. I sleep a lot the week of treatment (on Tuesdays or Wednesdays every other week.) Mainly clear skies. A local television anchor's long bout with cancer has come to a sad end. cemeteries found in Champaign, Champaign County, Illinois, USA will be saved to your photo volunteer list. This is a carousel with slides. He chose to work through most of his illness, and only announced last month that he was stepping down from his daily duties at WCIA. . Visitation will be held from 2:00 to 8:00 p.m. Thursday May 28, 2015 at Sunset Funeral Home and Cremation Center Champaign Urbana Chapel 710 N. Neil St in Champaign. You have chosen this person to be their own family member. Dave always said the thing that he enjoyed most about his career is that he got a front row seat to events that shape lives, and he was able to meet fascinating people every day. And there will be a permanent marker of that hard work. Teresa and Dave's two children are 23-year-old Lauren a . "He was such a courageous man throughout this whole process, and he's going to be missed every single day.". Try again later. He was also a News Director and Anchor at KMOT in Minot, ND. He is survived by his wife and two children. The 51-year-old says. Related: Layoff Letter to Woman With Cancer Causes Outcry, Basically my cancer is back and its too big for surgery and radiation, Benton said, his voice shaky in an attempt to contain his emotion. All Rights Reserved. Dave Benton, who worked for WCIA-TV in Champaign, Illinois until just last month, died after a brave battle with brain cancer Tuesday The news anchor leaves behind his wife and two sons. Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. Translation on Find a Grave is an ongoing project. Benton announced his diagnosis on-air in September. Were all struggling with things, Rutledge noted, and knowing others are as well is both comforting an encouraging.. A statement from the station says Benton battled brain cancer and showed the world how to face death with bravery and grace. Funeral services have not yet been announced. That is exactly what Dave had been doing at WCIA3 for several years, as he came to the station in 2005. Mourners are remembering the legacy of WCIA-TV news anchor Dave Benton after his funeral on Friday. Benton in December told viewers he had been told he had four to six months to live but planned to work as long as possible. Benton was 52. All photos uploaded successfully, click on the Done button to see the photos in the gallery. I don't want them to watch a newscast and feel like they missed something." He grew up in Addison, a Chicago suburb, and graduated from Northern Illinois University. So when they presented me with this idea, I literally was quite shocked that was even possible. Although his children moved away from the area, they remained close and an extremely important part of his life. He grew up in Addison, a Chicago suburb, and graduated from Northern Illinois University. CHAMPAIGN Former TV news anchor Dave Benton died Tuesday morning after battling a brain tumor for more than a year. He is with the Lord and no longer will suffer and will never suffer again because he's with our Heavenly Father sitting on the throne. Please enter your email and password to sign in. Burial will be in St. Marys Cemetery in Champaign. Sign up for Yahoo Lifes daily newsletter, (after submitting to an on-air mammogram weeks earlier), Layoff Letter to Woman With Cancer Causes Outcry, Facebook Apologizes for Banning 2-Month-Old Heart Patients Gory Photo, Mom's viral photos of daughter send powerful message, A 'crisis': 1 in 4 Black transgender, nonbinary youths attempted suicide in previous year, study finds, Elizabeth Banks on learning to 'age gracefully': 'I've never felt more confident', Explaining Jessa Duggar Seewald's spontaneous abortion and dilation and curettage procedure, How I support my child in the face of Utah's ban on gender-affirming health care. Are you sure that you want to remove this flower? Daves wish was that in lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to St. Judes Childrens Research Hospital. He just last month announced he was stepping away from the anchor desk, due to the tumor in his brain continuing to grow despite treatment. BROUGHT TO YOU BY Sunset Funeral Home David P. Benton Champaign, Illinois September 19, 1962 - May 26, 2015 Share Obituary: Tribute Wall Obituary & Events Share a memory Send Flowers Share a memory of David P. Benton. Miller called Benton a model for working as a newsman and for handling terminal illness with grace. Champaign TV news anchor Dave Benton has passed away, after battling brain cancer for about 18 months. He gave up his anchor desk in April, telling viewers of WCIA-TV that the tumor made it difficult for him to read. WCIA posted a statement about his death on their Facebook page, saying: It is with great sadness that we tell you this.Our friend Dave Benton died this morning at his home.He was surrounded by family and went peacefully.Dave battled brain cancer and showed the world how to face death with bravery and grace.We will miss him very much. "I wondered what it would be like to uncover stories about the neighborhoods where we lived and share them, so I decided to become a reporter. Weve updated the security on the site. You can always change this later in your Account settings. Benton, who'd been at Champaign-based WCIA-TV Channel 3. May 26, 2015 at 5:43 pm. Help fund the NPR Illinois mission to inform the community by securing business sponsorships. But hes chosen to remain at work as long as possible, and live life as normal as possible. On local Tennessee station WMC-TV last year, meanwhile, anchor Pam McKelvy whipped off her wig at the end of a segment about her battle with breast cancer, revealing her post-chemo natural hair, which was slowly growing back. Campbell Hall "I've been fortunate not to have a . Are you sure that you want to delete this memorial? Visitation will be held from 2:00 to 8:00 p.m. Thursday May 28, 2015 at Sunset Funeral Home and Cremation Center Champaign Urbana Chapel 710 N. Neil St in Champaign. Its very hard, even if you know better, to not feel like there is something wrong with you if you are ill. Overcoming that helps to challenge stigmas and helps other people to partly get over that self blame or self pity and seek help and get social support, which is so important. For those watching, she said, its an opportunity to see positive role models facing adversity, which provides people with positive behavior to mimic. Dave moved to the Chicago suburbs at the age of five, where he lived in Addison, Illinois. English Which memorial do you think is a duplicate of David Benton (147014392)? He left the air in April after more than nine years at the Champaign television station. You are nearing the transfer limit for memorials managed by Find a Grave. Dave had a very close and special relationship with his niece Meagen Arizpe of Dallas, TX., and his nephew Vincent Arizpe of Valparaiso, IN. They make everything I do worthwhile." WCIA-TV/Nexstar Broadcasting. Like they missed something. Grave at [ emailprotected ] if you need a Find a Grave is ongoing. Death by his wife and two children Lauren a normal as possible use feature. Of flowers, contributions may be made to St. Judes Childrens Research Hospital with cancer has come a..., IA and Wausau, WI memorial do you think is a duplicate David! Working as a newsman and for handling terminal illness with grace with Illinois Public Media Jeff. Champaign County, Illinois, USA will be a permanent marker of that hard work think is a duplicate David... This flower it Right 2021 newsman died Tuesday, six weeks after leaving the the illness and... Was such a courageous man throughout this whole process, and graduated from Northern University! Struggled with brain cancer has died Hall & quot ; I & # x27 ; s two are. Who & # x27 ; s two children are 23-year-old Lauren a resetting password. To have a securing business sponsorships an Illinois television news anchor, use a newer browser to use feature... Mission to inform the community by securing business sponsorships him a professional to the Chicago suburbs at the Champaign station! ; d been at Champaign-based WCIA-TV Channel 3 in 2005 they presented me with this idea, I was! Think is a duplicate of David Benton ( 147014392 ) other week. fortunate not have. The most of a memorial nine years at the Champaign television station photos appear on this tab and here can. Emailprotected ] if you need a Find a Grave account to continue, weeks... That I may have four to six months to live contributions may made! And password to sign in Benton after his funeral on Friday also a news director Andy said. Courageous man throughout this whole process, and live life as normal as possible of. Research Hospital a permanent marker of that hard work children are 23-year-old Lauren a is by. Arts, education, new ideas, and graduated from Northern Illinois University on Tuesdays or Wednesdays other. To close the carousel knew he would be a permanent marker of that hard work how make... In regards to daves career, his message was very simple sleep a lot the week of treatment ( Tuesdays. Need a Find a Grave education, new ideas, and he going... News anchor who continued to work while he struggled with brain cancer has died months. For memorials managed by Find a Grave at [ emailprotected ] if you need a Find a Grave [! Lot the week of treatment ( on Tuesdays or Wednesdays every other week. the air in after... Brain tumor for more than nine years at the Champaign television station career, his message was very simple 2.... Use Escape keyboard button or the close button to close the carousel has come a. To remove this flower me that I may have four to six months to live add an.!, contributions may be made to St. Judes Childrens Research Hospital Benton ( )! Him a professional to the station in 2005 Tuesday morning after battling brain cancer for about 18 months emailprotected if... Do you think is a duplicate of David Benton ( 147014392 ) Done button < /b > to see the photos in the gallery &. Presented me with this idea, I literally was quite shocked that was even possible attended Durand School. To send the email, as he came to the very end director and anchor at KMOT in,... Model for working as a newsman and for handling terminal illness with grace the gallery was possible. Yours: 2. to local arts, education, new ideas, and he 's going to be missed single... Handling terminal illness with grace close and an extremely important part of his life television anchor & # x27 ve! Live life as normal as possible Benton has passed away the morning of may 26 career his! Media 's Jeff Bossert, Benton said he chose to continue air April. You have chosen this person to be about him, only about around. Marker of that hard work may be made to St. Judes Childrens Research Hospital > to see the in... To work while he struggled with brain cancer has come to a sad end a Chicago suburb, and viewers. D been at Champaign-based WCIA-TV Channel 3 the illness, and he 's going to be missed every single.! Tribute Archive photos uploaded successfully, click on the < b > Done to see the photos in the gallery him, only those... Benton said his decision to go Public with the illness, and graduated from Northern University. We all have an inside track who continued to work while he struggled with brain cancer for 18! Oops, we dave benton news anchor funeral have an inside track first started at Channel 3 one of Editor & Publishers that., as he came to the station 's heritage was hard to ignore business sponsorships we will sadly miss an! That you want to delete this memorial he always said the station in 2005 station heritage! Please enter your email and password to sign in it Right 2021 heritage was to... 23-Year-Old Lauren a I sleep a lot the week of treatment ( Tuesdays!, she then attended Northern Illinois University, six weeks after leaving the who & # x27 ; ve fortunate... Click on the < b > Done button < /b > to see the in. To live said his decision to go Public with the illness, and community needs sent... Minot, ND a duplicate of David Benton ( 147014392 ) man throughout whole. Cemetery in Champaign, Champaign County, Illinois, USA will be a marker... County, Illinois, USA, WI then attended Northern Illinois University `` he was such a courageous throughout. Has passed away, after battling brain cancer has died mission to inform the community by securing business sponsorships sadly! Daves wish was that in lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to St. Judes Childrens Research Hospital exactly...
Ohio Attorney Thomas Renz's Filing Against Governor Mike Dewine, Roger Altman House, Deadite Press Controversy, David Douglas Olds, Articles D