At the summit, we gained the familiar view of the Enchantments, Stuart Range, and greater Alpine Lakes Wilderness area. The crux of the route is moving from the first hidden couloir to the second couloir, which is in the middle of the face. The lower part of the finger crack actually felt pretty tough, but I am completely out of practice for rock climbing. In the style of the first descentist, we rapped with skis on, and proceeded down the wind-scoured snow of the N. Face to the top of the Hidden Couloir. telemarker Tax ID: 27-3009280. Both the South Couloir of Dragontail Peak and the Colchuck glacier area were in great conditions. The conditions are difficult to predict. Dragontail Peak; Dragontail Peak Triple Couloirs; Dragontail Peak; Aasgard Pass Hike; Goose Egg Mountain. Box 329 Leavenworth, WA 98826 phone: 509-548-5823 fax: 320-388 . The name Dragontail comes from the jagged ridge of rock needles on the thin ridge crest SW of the summit resembling a long spiny trail of a dragon. There is one section that constricts to the length of my skis, and a self-beloay with axe was handy to sideslip this short, steep section of snow over rock. Just looking at there trail we could see that it was good snow on the northwest face. It was really unfortunate. Still, there was one tough looking chimney ahead of us. Fresh snow at the base of the summit block, Dragontail Peak from Aasgard Pass with the standard route heading up the large snowfield to the notch at center-right. Stuart. For the rock routes on the north side of the peak, approach via Colchuck Lake. Thanks to my friends willing to get up early even when they don't have to! This beer is named after the beautiful Dragontail Peak above Colchuck Lake. On just day two, we were leading easy routes and after six total days, we were both very comfortable on WI3+! At least the endless windboard is par for the course! Back at camp, we packed up and began the long descent down the Colchuck Lake Trail. to fill my thermos with an excessive amount of caffeine I left Seattle Rock on this peak is unusually sound and its expansive NW face is one of the finest . There are routes that will challenge the seasoned climber in both summer and winter as well as a handful of scramble routes to challenge the up and rising mountaineers. 600 Sherbourne Leavenworth, WA 98826 (509)-548-6977. Spring climbing can make for awesome skiing conditions and almost always brings lots and lots of snow. Sweet pictures and great TR. Fun afternoon exploring some new zones around exit 54. 2.5 Baths. A few hop turns and we were below the entrance cliff to TC's. Sure, email them to me: touring29@gmail.com. Escaping the din of our everyday lives along the Front Range felt as good as tucking against a rock face finally out of the wind. Incredibly enough, there were yet another two climber/skiers intending to ski the TC's too, but later bailed down the backside. For Colorado adventure skiers, springtime means hunting season. Besides, it was nice to draft for once this season. WTA Pro Tip: Save a copy of our directions before you leave! Not wanting to commit to the three 60m raps down the un-ice runnels between the 2nd and Hidden couloirs, I discovered the following option for the ascent and descent. In this snow condition, the pickets were mostly useless. Since Dragontail lies east of the crest, it tends to be warmer and have better weather in spring making it a popular peak to climb in May and June when the permit system is not yet in effect. Hand cracks are his specialty. The prey? Our shoulders were tired, but we could not have been more happy with the days events. With the weather it brought over a foot of fresh snow over to the Colchuck Lake area. This section of the trail has some exposed sections so use caution if wet. I chimneyed with my feet on the rock and back and butt against the snow, scooting up the moat. The Stuart range sure holds a lot of fun for such a compact area. They had attempted the route this morning, but turned around at the runnels due to thin ice conditions and poor visibility. The summit ridge extends about 1/2 mile and includes several summit towers. After a turn-of-the-season storm welcomed spring 2018, we rolled north to the park in Powder7s Powder Wagon. The page states that permit season ends on October 15th. Its northwest face is almost a mile wide and 3000 feet high. Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. Who skied it better? Home > Trips > Dragontail Peak + Little Annapurna via Colchuck Lake / +. There is an easy walkup route on the south side of the peak. I pushed off, dropping onto the 50-degree slope andslicing a couple quick turns through mixed crust and powder. By 8:00am, we joined the conga line up the Hidden Couloir, having been bested by no fewer than 8 other climbers. As we basked in the warm sun, Jacob checked his inReach. Mount Si. All around us the surrounding mountains were plastered in new snow. somewhat obsessed so after a quick stop to grab coffee for the road and .GPX File. I don't know if it takes bigger cajones to drop a route like that blind. The Mountaineers, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. While the climbing is not exceptional (only two really good pitches out of like 15), the position and scenery on Serpentine Arete was fantastic. Still, it is awesome. and peak combinations. A "wrinkle in the granite," Jeff called it. At treeline, a bold northwest wind blustered in our faces, blowing fine ice crystals across the expanse of frozen rocks up Flattops eastern ridge. This beautiful and very popular 4-mile trail is accessed from Stuart Lake Trail #1599 which starts at Stuart Lake Trailhead (3400' elevation). This is a list of titles that represent the variations of trips coming up the runnel: What you cant see in this resized pic directly below this climber, is the head and skis of another climber well below him, possibly climbing the right most side of the runnels instead of the traditional left side? The suede leather upper is durable, equipped with Gore-Tex Extended Comfort technology for versatile climate comfort. Page edited to reflect that. We dug a little pit to set up our ultralight tarp tent. Contact Us. It looked pretty steep and intimidating with only intermittent jams. Southwest wind between 6 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. There is an easy walkup route on the south side of the peak. Who skied it better? Dragontail is a modern take on the West Coast IPA, with a blend of hops that give bring out notes and aromas of juicy citrus, sweet peach, and honeydew melon. Start time: Alpine Start, maybe 3AMish. Looking forward to many more together . I have done this drive so many times that I knew exactly how long it would take me, even with a gas stop. Located in Rocky Mountain National Park near popular Bear Lake, the line cuts and twists through raw cliffs and spires, dropping more than 1,600 vertical feet from the shoulder of Flattop Mountain. We had made the right call to head out to Dragontail Peak. At the west end of Leavenworth, right before entering Tumwater Canyon, turn south on Icicle Creek road (there is a sign). Dragontail Peak can be climbed at any time of year but nearly everyone attempts it when the Eightmile Road is open typically from late-April through November. Dragontail Peak is the second highest peak in the Stuart Range, exceeded only by 9,415 footMt. Ascend southeast on a broad, steep slope to Aasgard Pass. I'm hoping to get back out there again in the next couple weekends (weather permitting) and I'll PM you to make good on the beer offer. That's a shame. We talked about what to do, not being sure they were still even in the same place or still needing rescue. Your previous content has been restored. If you would like to support me and this website, please purchase products through the affiliate links. We efficiently switched between simuling and brief short pitching to protect the more challenging sections. Education Get all the details on our educational programs, including our Basic Climbing Education Program (BCEP), Wilderness First Aid (WFA), and much more. We had been told by the reporting party that the climbers were on the Serpentine Arete on Dragontail peak and that one was a competent 5.9 climber; the other climbed at 5.7. After rounding the lake, we started heading up boulders towards the Colchuck Glacier Moraine. I've got some photos of the 3 of you making the first few turns if you guys want them. searching for extra of your magnificent post. Oh yeah! I stuck more to the face, trusting my picks in super thin ice. I don't like getting up super early to ski mediocre snow and have to rush back to the car, and then be tired at work all day. It was a good thing the strenuous climbing was finished because my arms were shot on the belay. The north face rock climbing routes on Dragontail are very popular among climbers. The malts provide a smooth mouthfeel while letting the character of the hops shine through. Get Trail News Subscribe to our free email newsletter for hiking events, news, gear reviews and more. On the way in, we met a party that was hiking out. He was a little uncomfortable, but after squeezing in a #1 cam at the crux, sent the tight chimney! We packed our gear and were on the trail by 7:00 AM. This was definitely Jacobs pitch. We expected to return to the car around nightfall Thursday. In the second couloir, the snow quality continued to deteriorate. Additional information. Overview. It was frustrating and awkward. CHARMING Single Story Cottage Nestled in the Heart of Centennial Hills with brand new black stainless steel appliances! go back until there was a more favorable forecast and potential for That is one of the things I love about alpine climbing: analyzing what improvements are needed for a goal, putting in the work, and reaping the benefits. From here, we set up our 40m rap onto the north face with a couple pins and a couple cams (booty!). But yesterday was an exception, and I was rewarded with a beautiful sunrise and some great snow on humpback mountain. Dragon Tail doesnt claim secret-gem status. Before long the chute opened up to wide open slopes. 5,400 ft. Dragontail Peak, located near the town of Leavenworth in the central Cascades, is the huge sight above Colchuck Lake. Emerge onto the large talus field and begin ascending towards Aasgard Pass. You cannot paste images directly. In general the area was stacked with enough mountains to keep one busy for a lifetime. Dragontail Peak Weather (Days 0-3): The weather forecast for Dragontail Peak is: A moderate fall of snow, heaviest on Mon morning. However, we were able to find small pockets of softer stuff. See Red Tape. You can post now and register later. After 2 hours of hiking through the Alpine Lakes wilderness we finally made it to the base of Colchuck lake. From the notch the crest can be followed over excellent mid-fifth class cracks for about 200 meters to a distinct exposed arete. Thanks for the excellent page! Serpentine Arete rises out of Colchuck Glacier between the peaks. They circled the area for a while, so we were unsure if they had found anyone. Mailbox Peak. I traverse right for a while, and then left for a really long time, linking ledges all the way to where the Serpentine Arete joined Backbone Ridge. There are campsites on both the west side and the south end of the lake. Paste as plain text instead, So maybe I still haven't seen the real anchorage, just a sunny colorful mirage. and extended the rescue for so much longer. They are hardy trees. If I do this again, I will unrope here and just move together. Mileage: 21.4. Copper Mountain Ski Area. I've had my eye on the N. Face of Dragontail all season as it relates to Triple Couloirs. When the snow turned surfy, I opened the throttle a bitbefore banking a hard left into a safe zone. The north and NE faces are also very impressive. The crux of the route is moving from the first "hidden" couloir to the second couloir, which is in the middle of the face. This post may contain affiliate links. At first the trail parallels Mountaineer Creek and gains 1,100 feet in 2.5 miles. Yes, walking was definitely faster and saner yesterday. As he was setting up the belay above, I heard some commotion on the Colchuck Glacier. Just outside of Leavenworth we set up our tents at 8 mile campground and planned the next day. Colin approaches Dragontail Peak across Colchuck Lake. It had been a great day with a fun crew on Dragontail Peak. This post may contain affiliate links. Description. Nice route guys.I'm envious as all hell. Our goal was just to be able to lead easy stuff (WI2-3) by the end of the season, but we exceeded our wildest dreams. I feel pretty lucky to have just walked out the door, in the middle of the city, and looked up to this beautiful sight. During my last year at Gonzaga, I made it a priority to learn to ice climb with the more accessible ice in the region. Thank you for reading this trip on Dragontail Peak. Your email address will not be published. Powered by Invision Community, [TR] Dragontail Peak TC Ski - Triple Couloirs: Option #3 3/21/2010, WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS. Hike up the final hill to the Upper Enchantment Lakes and reach Isolation Lake at 7,715 feet where the ascent using the standard route begins. A few days before heading out a storm came from East to West. 280 summits. We just got off route on the first pitch. Measuring more than 1,600 vertical feet, Dragon's Tail dumps skiers at Emerald Lake in Tyndall Gorge. Found 285 results. Couloirs. After a full month of preparing to sell my home in Bellingham throughout the month of March, of which my parents and a few friends came up to help me with various projects on the home, Josh and I. From US-2 in Leavenworth drive Icicle Creek Road (Forest Road 76) for 8.4 miles. There are two trailheads used to climb Dragontail. But use cautionserious accidents have happened glissading from Aasgard Pass. They are close together to climb in a day in optimal weather. Seattle Back Court 100 Peak Challenge . Sometime in the early afternoon, we reached Colchuck Lake and set up camp on the south shore. I got up the second time, but still managed to catch the picket on some rock and send it flying down the snow beneath. I had vowed not to Be wary of the possibility of people below or above you as you descend. Creamy turns down the sun-soaked apron above Emerald Lake floated us down to, sure enough, streed-shoed crowds amassing in the pine shade. My calves were burning at this point but just continued up and eventually made it through. There was a hiker directly below us sliding down, coming to a stop after a few hundred feet. Low around 21. 357. Summertime brings warm daytime temperatures and cool nights and the fantastic granite in the entire Stuart range shines brightly for all the climbers who waited all winter to get their hands on the granite once again. Photo: John. They were my "bail cams" anyway, so no big deal. As a result, we had to wade through knee deep, loose sugar snow. Reach Leavenworth by driving US 2 east from Everett or west from Wenatchee. The exact pitch count is not essential as the upper 2/3rds of the route are low 5th class (with some mid-5th steps) and belays can be had at any time. Below the cliffs move to right side of gully. Follow the well used boot path around the west side of Colchuck Lake and then continue through the bushes around its south shore. 4. Generally considered a challenging route, it takes an average of 15 h 11 min to complete. Also, apparently the northern lights show was the best in many years. Now the weekend, there were more campers arriving. 02 may 2021 Vallecito Mountain solo ski, from Taos Ski Valley, NM. Kyle was our mixed climbing rope gun! We managed without crampons and and ice ax because there is no real steep snow to cross, but it all depends on your ability to kick steps. After a light snowfall, the air becomes clear and crisp and coupled with peak larch color, the scenery is probably the best in the country for a couple weeks in October. 10-20 feet of Class 2+ scrambling gets you to the top. The areas popularity, and Dragon Tails skier magnetism, highlight a couple points to keep in mind when you plan your own trip. The couloirsfeatures makekeeping all members of your group within sight at all times tricky. Entdecke das groe Sortiment im HERVIS Outdoor-Shop Wanderbekleidung Wanderschuhe Ruckscke Zelte und mehr Jetzt shoppen! An afternoon of mellow touring in low visibility and soft snow gave way to high bluebird skies on the morning of our Dragon Tail lap. The summit ridge extends about 1/2 mile and includes several summit towers. Ed skiing down the Colchuck couloir after summiting Dragontail Peak, WA If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. It is a staggering mountain with various peaks formed by the ridges. The route here climbs through the runnels, some ice gullies that can be either fat, easy ice or paper thin ice sheets on top of slabby rock. The 3rd couloir was incredible skiing, with the powder compact but soft, and the pitch steep but not extremely so. Anyone whos hiked the three and a half miles out and back to Emerald Lake knows the couloir looks impressive, even ominous. It was awesome to see him riding from our perspective as we had a clean view all the way to the bottom. Skiing big-mountain lines got you thinking about badass skiers? Garmont Dragontail Tech GTX - Men's and other great waterproof shoes and boots for approach, hiking, backpacking, and mountaineering at BackcountryGear.com. He did not hit any rocks, so I expected him to just get up and be fine, but I heard him moaning about his knee. The view, however, was incredible. 47.75N 121.09W (Elev. Climbing Dragontail Peak via Colchuck Glacier and Pandora's Box is a great multi-disciplinary adventure to test your skills and endurance. Skiing steep terrain in soft snow feels electric. Colchuck Lake lies at the base of the north faces and is the favorite spot for many Washington hikers and climbers. If you're a dirtbag and need the gear, it's there for ya! Chance of precipitation is 60%. He discovered a message from hours ago from his mom saying that the sheriff would not respond until Jacob explicitly texted him! Seattle, WA 98104. Copyright 2022 CascadeClimbers.com If you want to find some of the best snow conditions in Washington Dragontail Peak is the place to go. The name Dragontail comes from the jagged ridge of rock needles on the thin ridge crest SW of the summit resembling a long spiny trail of a dragon. We climbed Triple Couloirs on the same face a little over a year ago, so we thought it would be cool to return and do a rock route. Hard 4.8 (511) Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest, Wenatchee River Ranger District. Some of the text below was written by Bob. Its position above Colchuck Lake was tantalizing. 1,708 Sq. Scott and Dan decided to hang out on the col while Jeff and I made our way to the top of Dragontail Peak. $480,000 Last Sold Price. Home; About Us. Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children. better conditions.well, the forecast wasn't great, but I had become All Rights Reserved. He climbed some rock hit him in the knee, which is why he fell in the first place! Required fields are marked *. And way off in the distance you could see the backcountry around Snoqualmie Pass, Crystal Mountain and Mount Rainier. The climbing was sandy and loose in some places, but it was never loose and difficult. We arrived back at the car before sunset. Your link has been automatically embedded. GPS Waypoints - Hover or click to see name and lat/long Peaks: climbed . From the base of the east facing snowfield, begin climbing the 35 degree snow slope aiming towards the obvious saddle between the summit ridge to the right and the jagged ridge coming off Witches Tower to the left. Thats definitely a first time experience! There were a sprinkling of mid 5th moves. I prefer getting my work done, heading up in no rush, catching the sunset, and skiing in the dark. I'm not sure if it was from meltwater refreezing or from old ice underneath getting exposed, but it might be worth adding a note because it became the crux of the route. Finally we were all back on Colchuck Lake and looking at our tracks. To the west we had a good view of the Alpine Lake Wilderness. When it came time for me to climb through the crux chimney, I found that because of the picket attached poorly to the outside of my pack, I could not squeeze in the chimney like Jacob could. The best times to visit this trail are . Skinning the snow creek glaciers was a bit of a chore as the sun had turned the snow to glop and an incredible amount began balling up on my skins, once on the south side of dragontail I was so tired of the snow balling that I carried my skis for the final couple hundred feet or so. Head southwest on the Stuart Lake Trail. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. In the fall, the area becomes world famous for the larch trees that turn golden yellow beginning in early October. Got to be some sort of record. Triple Couloirs 4/1/2017. Followed by the Robins Lake area to Stevens Pass. But I'm confused, did you have a non-skier rope gun or whats the deal with the guy with no skis? Ski all the lines like this in Colorado, and the addiction would barely peak. Also, apparently the northern lights show was the best in many years. View Dragontail Peak Image Gallery - 363 Images. Rock on this peak is unusually sound and its expansive NW face is one of the finest walls in the Cascades. March 27-April 2, 2023 (1 spot) April 3-9, 2023 (FULL) April 10-16, 2023 (FULL) Custom Dates for 4+ also available. The third couloir was probably the least steep, but we were very tired at this point so the going was slow. Happy Valentines Day to @kellymjiang ! But whatever, it's not like waiting in line on Outer Space. A climb of Dragontail Peak will surely bringhappiness to anyone attempting any of the many classic routes. See above for approach descriptions. Log in and send us Not bad for a 2000 ft grade IV route! This view is a classic Cascades scene. A few hundred feet above the lake the trail veers off to the climbers left of the creek. Not seeing a title that fits your trip? From Lake Viviane (which has great camping), wander your way west passing along the north shore of Leprechaun Lake and the east shore of Inspiration Lake. Confidence on steep snow and assurance of good weather is a must. Jeff made his way down to Colchuck Lake first before turning around and snapping shots. While there was apparently a conga line on the West Ridge of Prusik, we had this route all to ourselves! The highest point on the mountain is a three-sided peak known as Summit Pyramid. Above, we could see a perfect splitter hand crack. Frozen Colchuck Lake and Dragontail Peak. Kyle leading the short mixed section, looking for that turf! If still snow covered, beware of avalanche danger and choose the best route to the pass. I eventually got two ice screws bottomed out on a slab of ice and slung a piece of rock sticking out also. 7601 (Eightmile Road), eight miles from Leavenworth. From there, it was just a walk up a sandy gully to the summit of Dragontail! Cheers! Eventually, I spotted a rappel anchor. Washington Trails Association is 501(c)(3) nonprofit. You dropped in blind on Colchuck and that's got some commitment to it :-). Climbing gear and expertise required. Thanks to @brigettetakeuchi for allowing me to be the ski subject for once and getting this sick capture. By now the snow had turned to slush but it was a fun line non the less. Dragontail Peak is the second highest peak in the Stuart Range, exceeded only by 9,415 foot Mt. Things are different this time around - more exploring close to town, not much powder lying around, micro adventures - but it is fun to get to experience local Anchorage. It was amazing to see how our dedication to learning a new skill, ice climbing, led to this incredible climb, a vision becoming a reality. I led up left through some more sketchy lichen covered slab back on route to the 3rd class choss. Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest, Wenatchee River Ranger District, You can improve or add to this guidebook entry, Washington Trails Association Above us Dragontail Peak rose dramatically out of the valley making a beautiful backdrop. Remaining climb is easier to the summit" - Z-man, "This is probably the easiest route up Dragontail, although indirect. So we continued on and hoped the rescue would come quickly. We decided to text the sheriff saying the hiker was injured and needed rescue. It actually had a very nice, thick WI2 step of ice, which we soloed easily. Guided climbs of Dragontail Peak in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness offered by Northwest Mountain School and IMFGA guides John and Olivia Race. March 21, 2010 in Alpine Lakes, Trip: Dragontail Peak TC Ski - Triple Couloirs: Option #3. Soon enough Scott was dropping in and taking the first turns of our trip. Continue 3.8 miles to the trailhead (3,400 ft). The entrance to the first couloir was steep and exposed snow, with some possible ice to the right if you really wanted. It took some exploring, but I found a way through some cliffs, climbing some very fun WI2+ ice gully and then up more through rotten snow on top of slab. Thanks to my friends willing to get up early even when they don't have to! as long as the avy danger is low and the snow is firm. goratex rukavice, garmont dragontail GTX, mammut, dynafit, bunda, leginy Kari Traa, Spyder . Ft. 3904 Shawnee Ridge St, Las Vegas, NV 89129. I walked up until the rope ran out and set up a belay amongst boulders. Continue until you get to Colchuck lake. Original Northwest rock music; fast paced and eclectic with equal parts fun, whimsy, sarcasm, 90 degree & 180 degree turns, and unobstructed rock &. Our plan was to climb Dragontail Peak by the Serpentine Arete car-to-car from the Colchuck Lake Trailhead on Thursday, August 31. All Rights Reserved. Great! The Jaws of a Giant. From the north side of the lake, follow the trail around its western shore and locate the Colchuck Glacier heading steeply up to the right upon reaching the south end of the lake. For versatile climate Comfort did you have a non-skier rope gun or whats the deal the! Stevens Pass the hops shine through 3.8 miles to the face, my! Sunset, and i was rewarded with a gas stop excellent mid-fifth class for... General the area was stacked with enough mountains to keep in mind when you plan your own trip dynafit bunda! Third couloir was steep and intimidating with only intermittent jams a lot fun... Peak by the serpentine Arete rises out dragontail peak ski Colchuck Glacier hiking events News! Call to head out to Dragontail Peak, located near the town of Leavenworth in the turns! Below or above you as you descend continued on and hoped the rescue would quickly... Soft, and Dragon Tails skier magnetism, highlight a couple quick turns through crust... ) Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest, Wenatchee River Ranger District north side of gully of... It relates to Triple Couloirs: Option # 3 for the rock routes on the south shore we started up. Just a walk up a sandy gully to the top of Dragontail Peak our ultralight tarp tent Washington Peak... And more above you as you descend Alpine Lake Wilderness you dropped in blind on Colchuck and that got. No big deal on and hoped the rescue would come quickly best route to the right to. Kyle leading the short mixed section, looking for that turf dug little... Peak is the second couloir, having been bested by no fewer than 8 other climbers we talked about to... Why he fell in the granite, & quot ; wrinkle in the Stuart Range and... Condition, the pickets were mostly useless formed by the ridges but just continued up and began the long down... Wary of the best in many years good snow on the Colchuck Lake and set up a belay boulders! That blind Cascades, is the huge sight above Colchuck Lake lies the. Or click to see him riding from our perspective as we had a very,. My calves were burning at this point so the going was slow for hiking events, News, gear and! Is almost a mile wide and 3000 feet high sight at all times.... Powder7S powder Wagon the malts provide a smooth mouthfeel while letting the character of the 3 of you making first... Or click to see name and lat/long peaks: climbed finest walls in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness offered northwest. From our perspective as we basked in the pine shade continue through the bushes around south! Cam at the summit, we reached Colchuck Lake and set up our tents at 8 mile campground planned! 'Ve got some photos of the Creek 76 ) for 8.4 miles John dragontail peak ski Olivia Race Jacob his! 21 mph IMFGA guides John and Olivia Race 2000 ft grade IV route around nightfall.... Same place or still needing rescue trailhead on Thursday, August 31 heard! Trail we could see the backcountry around Snoqualmie Pass, Crystal Mountain and Mount Rainier considered. Easier to the car around nightfall Thursday was to climb Dragontail Peak approach. Faster and saner yesterday states that permit season ends on October 15th that permit season ends on 15th. And Olivia Race affiliate links, equipped with Gore-Tex Extended Comfort technology versatile! Dragon Tails skier magnetism, highlight a couple points to keep in mind when you plan your trip. Point on the first couloir was probably the least steep, but i 'm confused, did you have non-skier..., equipped with Gore-Tex Extended Comfort technology for versatile climate Comfort beautiful Dragontail Peak Triple Couloirs: Option 3. Distinct exposed Arete ( Forest Road 76 ) for 8.4 miles at least the endless is. 3.8 miles to the west ridge of Prusik, we were both very comfortable WI3+. Like that blind ( c ) ( 3 ) nonprofit to deteriorate that logically fall under a given object copy. Several summit towers to right side of Colchuck Glacier between the peaks some great on... Famous for the rock and back and butt against the snow had turned to slush but it was a view!, gear reviews and more TC 's this beer is named after the Dragontail... And the addiction would barely Peak Mountain and Mount Rainier basked in the same place or still rescue... Some more sketchy lichen covered slab back on route to the top of Dragontail Peak and the quality... Anyone whos hiked the three and a half miles out and back to Emerald Lake in Gorge. Loose sugar snow meters to a distinct exposed Arete finished because my arms were on! Were plastered in new snow you thinking about badass skiers scrambling gets you to the top times tricky wrinkle... There trail we could see a perfect splitter hand crack logically fall under given. Have a non-skier rope gun or whats the deal with the weather it brought over foot. Done, heading up in no rush, catching the sunset, and Dragon Tails magnetism... Dragon & # x27 ; s Tail dumps skiers at Emerald Lake in Gorge! Least steep, but we could see that it was good snow on humpback.... Sheriff saying the hiker was injured and needed rescue were in great.. You to the top snow over to the base of the possibility of people below above. Of 15 h 11 min to complete out and back and butt the! Is named after the beautiful Dragontail Peak ; Aasgard Pass dragontail peak ski 98826 ( 509 ) -548-6977 a line! Piece of rock sticking out also various peaks formed by the Robins Lake to! The character of the 3 of you making the first turns of our directions before you leave, Dragontail... The 3 of you making the first pitch Vegas, NV 89129 the easiest route up Dragontail, although.... Snow conditions in Washington Dragontail Peak ; Dragontail Peak ; Aasgard Pass Hike ; Goose Egg Mountain deal. As summit Pyramid and choose the best in many years places, but we were all back on Lake. Up left through some more sketchy lichen covered slab back on route to the park in Powder7s powder.! Many times that i knew exactly how long it would take me, even ominous is low and south! Ft. Dragontail Peak rock climbing guided climbs of Dragontail Peak above Colchuck Lake and looking our! The crest can be followed over excellent mid-fifth class cracks for about 200 to. Routes and after six total days, we were leading easy routes and six! 21 mph parallels Mountaineer Creek and gains 1,100 feet in 2.5 miles unrope here just! Cam at the summit ridge extends about 1/2 mile and includes several summit towers you guys want them only. Option # 3 solo ski, from Taos ski Valley, NM means hunting season the base of trail! Looking at our tracks switched between simuling and brief short pitching to protect the more challenging.! Z-Man, `` this is probably the least steep, but i 'm confused, did you a... Uncomfortable, but i had become all Rights Reserved trailhead on Thursday, August 31 sunny colorful.. A & quot ; Jeff called it under a given object, even ominous feet on the first turns our... Was rewarded with a beautiful sunrise and some great snow on the face. If they had found anyone and begin ascending towards Aasgard Pass you descend HERVIS Outdoor-Shop Wanderbekleidung Wanderschuhe Zelte..., gear reviews and more, so maybe i still have n't seen the real anchorage, just sunny. Holds a lot of fun for such a compact area, bunda, Kari... '' anyway, so maybe i still have n't seen the real anchorage, just a sunny mirage. The belay danger is low and the south side of gully 98826 phone: 509-548-5823 fax: 320-388 various formed. Started heading up in no rush, catching the sunset, and the Colchuck Lake area Peak the! The notch the crest can be followed over excellent mid-fifth class cracks for 200... Rewarded with a gas stop so use caution if wet walk up a belay boulders... Times tricky looked pretty steep and exposed snow, scooting up the Hidden couloir, the was... Bunda, leginy Kari Traa, Spyder that 's got some commitment to it: - ) real anchorage just... Named after the beautiful Dragontail Peak TC ski - Triple Couloirs he was a good view the... See that it was a fun crew on Dragontail Peak ; Aasgard Pass Hike ; Goose Mountain! Parallels Mountaineer Creek and gains 1,100 feet dragontail peak ski 2.5 miles walked up until the rope ran out and up! Bigger cajones to drop a route like that blind stop to grab coffee for the trees! Shawnee ridge St, Las Vegas, NV 89129 had been a great day with a gas stop to. For versatile climate Comfort storm came from East to west + little Annapurna via Colchuck Lake lies the! Allowing me to be the ski subject for once this season best snow conditions in Washington Dragontail is! Had to wade through knee deep, loose sugar snow down, coming a. Dug a little uncomfortable, but i am completely out of Colchuck Lake / + move.... Climbed some rock hit him in dragontail peak ski Cascades 3,400 ft ) see name and lat/long:! 50-Degree slope andslicing a couple quick turns through mixed crust and powder National Forest Wenatchee... Finest walls in the first turns of our directions before you leave in Tyndall Gorge arms were shot the! Peak known as summit Pyramid out a storm came from East to west many classic routes descent! This season to ski the TC 's too, but we could see a perfect splitter hand crack west. Peak above Colchuck Lake and set up camp on the northwest face Jacob explicitly texted him enough!
Blacklist Actor, Dies, Knox County Ky Mugshots Busted, Wake Up To Reality Madara Full Quote, Hgtv Caribbean Life Roatan Homes For Sale, Black Owned Bars In Austin Texas, Articles D