Toward the end of the 2015 season, Jason Pierre-Paul walked into a room for an interview with Fox. I'm still counting dem racks with it. I can't think of the last time my index finger got me a sack ???? On the heels of those two impressive seasons, he helped the Giants win Super Bowl XLVI against the New England Patriots then led by his now-teammate, quarterback Tom Brady. So here they are. Pierre-Paul still had small bandages on his thumb and middle finger. Part of HuffPost News. Jason Pierre Pauls Twitter avatar shows off his injured hand. On July 4, 2015, Pierre-Paul gathered with his family and friends to celebrate Independence Day. ", Him: "There you go. NFL draft questions for teams in the top 10: Will the Colts trade up? As ESPN reported back in 2010, Pierre-Paul made the decision to forgo his senior year and enter the 2010 NFL Draft. As part of the procedures, his right index finger was amputated as it had been completely blown off. Jason struggled in his first eight games, but he bounced back the next two seasons. Come back daily for basketball training videos and drills from some of the nations top basketball programs and advice from professional coaches and trainers. According to the stats listed on Pierre-Pauls ESPN profile, he recorded 26 tackles and a single sack, in addition to recovering two fumbles. Powered by. Okmin recently tweeted a selfie of the two of them holding up their middle fingers, with a caption about how much it has helped her to see Pierre-Paul showing the world his hurts in such an unflinching, unashamed way. His injury and right index finger amputation resulted from a fireworks accident that occurred during the 2015 Independence Day celebrations. I'm not weird. And he has moved on. That was in February 2012, against Tom Brady, a Giants victory. The Tampa Bay Bucs star finally decided to clap back at his hand-haters on Friday -- almost 5 years after a fireworks accident blew off parts of his right hand. Pass. EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS: First look at Jason Pierre-Pauls hand without a bandage. There was blood everywhere. Losing a part of yourself is a trauma way deeper than the actual wounds. Register now! A post shared by JPP (@iamjasonpierrepaul). Expand. Maybe Pierre-Paul isn't quite the player he was in his New York days, but he's still an impact pass rusher on a strong defensive line where he teams with Ndamukong Suh, Shaq Barrett and Vita Vea. ", Him: "Three girls! With content ranging from Abby Wambachs workout to the latest gear reviews to Real Salt Lakes speed training, theres something here for soccer players of all levels. Whether you want to add power to your swing, speed on the basepaths or explosiveness in the outfield, youll need to start with lower body and core workouts designed specifically for baseball players. Since I got sober, I've done a lot better with accepting my feet. Nov 8, 2015, 1:18 PM. One huge thing that's helped me is learning to laugh about my feet. But it's clear he believes himself to be a very valuable free agent and that the Giants will have to pay up to bring him back. "That's what we call my feet, too!" Well, we did that early on in Pierre-Paul's career. That's the most noticeable difference to his right hand from his left one less finger. You are already subscribed to our newsletter! Jason's career almost came to an end after the fireworks incident, but he is thankful to the doctors who did everything humanly possible to save his hand. Tuko.co.ke published an article on what happened to Lil Kim daughter's eye? They were the first photos of Pierre-Paul that have been made public since he severely injured the hand in a fireworks accident July 4. Her daughter's birth came as big news as she conceived when she was 40 years of age. I'm proud of it.". Can the Lions fix their defense? She jokingly calls her middle finger her "fat finger" because the top half, where doctors had fused the tip back on, is thick and puffy. And in one way it was true that Jason Pierre-Paul was no longer a patient at Jackson Memorial: Thats because for much of his stay, to avoid media attention, Pierre-Paul says he was checked in under a fake name that his medical staff conjured up: Don X. Especially with his thumb already gone, the most important finger for gripping. I yelled. Pierre-Paul was named to the Pro Bowl, the NFLs all-star game, in 2011 and 2012, http://t.co/G8FSGgKEck pic.twitter.com/Vaf0dj8aGk. Especially when you're trying to win a game," Pierre-Paul said in November. "People see it, I see it, and once I can move away from the club, I'll be perfectly fine.". Sports performance training is the physical and mental process of working toward specific athletic, performance or fitness goals through a regimented program. Getty Images Of two people who will not hide their hands anymore, damn it. "OK, I need to protect you," the boy said. Yeah, JPP has seen 'em too and he's laughing all the way to the bank! Which is part of the reason he feels he owes the Giants something. Think back to how the world saw Jason Pierre-Paul before that day in 2015. At the Jackson Memorial Hospital, more than ten surgeries were performed on JPP's hand, and he lost more than 30 pounds in the process. As part of the procedures, his right index finger was amputated as it had been completely blown off. Two of Jason Pierre-Paul's fingers, the middle finger and thumb, are nothing more than stubs. I just thought about how much of my hand that was still there and figured out how to work hard to get back.". Pierre-Paul, who turns 27 on Friday, is eligible for unrestricted free agency at the end of this season and said he'd like to be back with the Giants if possible. Pierre-Paul has said many times, before and since the fireworks accident, that he'd love to stay with the team that drafted him. Jason Pierre-Paul joins his fellow Tampa Bay Buccaneers in making history at Super Bowl LV in Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, serving as the Big Games first host team to contend for the Vince Lombardi Trophy. The New York Giants' pass rusher believes his hand will be fine when it comes to playing games this season. And then July 4, 2015, happened. A doctor told the mother of Pierre-Paul's infant son that his career was likely over. Check out hockey drills and workouts from goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere, defenseman Duncan Keith, the University of Michigan hockey team and others. Jason Pierre-Paul has played in one Super Bowl in his career. It ain't your fault. What happened to Jason Pierre-Paul's hand? At the time, he was driving his Ferrari on a highway in South Florida when it spun out of control. I wish I'd had Pierre-Paul's philosophy: the idea that amputation isn't a sad end, but an adventure to find a new beginning, that new chapter. Please review our privacy policy here: https://heavy.com/privacy-policy/, Copyright 2023 Heavy, Inc. All rights reserved. My hand has stopped me from doing a couple of things, but that'll be fixed. ", Her comfort has grown to the point of that aforementioned selfie tweet. While the injury was potentially career-ending, the ESPN report detailed that Pierre-Paul was still expected to play during the 2015 season, with an unnamed source saying his return to football would come sooner than people think.. Until that time, and in spite of the public pleas of Giants owner John Mara, Pierre-Paul has little incentive to show up at Giants training camp and let the team's medical staff evaluate him. Copyright 2023 ESPN Internet Ventures. Pierre-Paul didn't notice anything until someone yelled to look at his hand. If somebody had done that for me when I was a little girl, I would have felt so different going forward. He declined to go into details about what the surgery would be, but his hope is that it allows him to make greater use of his remaining fingers. Pierre-Paul has not yet signed his $14.81 million franchise tender, and the Giants currently have no plans to revoke it. ", Him: "Forrrrrrrrrr sure. 2023 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. Projecting the futures of Kirk Cousins, Dalvin Cook and other Vikings veterans. When he sat down, she noticed he hid his hand a bit, just out of view of the camera and the people in the room. Could the Cowboys look at a running back in first round again? After being named to the 2020 Pro Bowl, such continued success could lead also lead Pierre-Paul back to theSuper Bowl. Would love your thoughts, please comment. Get TMZ breaking news sent right to your browser! Lean -- hard -- into your defects. Pierre-Paul didn't return to the field for the Giants until Week 9 of 2015, and he struggled in his first eight games back on the field, recording only one sack. I'm different. Fifteen years ago, I made a great -- but terrible -- decision to have the ends of my feet amputated. The athletic recruiting process is a lot like dating, with college coaches/scouts and high-school student-athletes sizing each other up and searching for the right match. Last Fourth of July, a firework blew up in JPPs hand. Editors note: Images below show damage done to Jason Pierre-Pauls hand when a firework blew up in it. Pierre-Paul said the surgery or surgeries (he's hoping it's only one) have been planned all along and that he put them off in order to return to the field and play for the Giants this year. After an evening of shooting fireworks in the sky, he decided that he's had enough. You dont get credit for QB Hurries when you actually make a sack. RELATED:Jason Pierre-Paul is Back Working Out Despite Losing a Finger. Back at Christmastime, I came down the steps while my wife and three daughters were in the dining room. "I love that picture so much because I felt like it was a huge step for me. A person like you can say, 'It's OK, look at me.' Check your inbox to be the first to know the hottest news. It's so easy to see yourself as less than, to look at the wound and see only a billboard for your less-than-edness. Learn how elite athletes supercharge their performance by following scientifically-supported nutrition strategies. Develop first-step quickness, serve with power and add inches to your vertical with volleyball training from some of todays top coaches. I could dwell on it, like, Damn, I wish I had that finger, Pierre-Paul told SI, but when I look in the mirror, Im happy. Everybody had to take their shoes off to be on the mats, so I took mine off. Enter my new life coach, Jason Pierre-Paul: "There's nothing to be embarrassed about," he says. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Become a better soccer player through the conditioning workouts, speed training and foot drills on STACK.com. "On film, you can see the club is preventing me from making tackles," Pierre-Paul said. By now you know what happened to Jason Pierre-Paul's hand. Pierre-Paul is beyond ready for his second Super Bowl and he hopes to bring home another W. He has remained positive through it all. It was terrible because I made the decision mostly to get painkillers. Two of Jason Pierre-Paul's fingers, the middle finger and thumb, are nothing more than stubs. He turned to look at his right hand and saw every ligament. Whether you want to become a stronger skater, develop your stick-handling skills, buy better gear or eat healthier, youll find everything you need at STACK.com. Not a member? All rights reserved. She has had some profound exchanges -- granted, via dueling middle fingers -- with Pierre-Paul. The 32-year old defensive end is in his third season with the Buccaneers after eight years with the Giants. During the date, he reached to hold her left hand, and she instinctively tried to pull back and sub in her right. Of two different people with body traumas who combined forces years ago to get over the hurdle of shame. For yourself. But if Pierre-Paul were to sign it, he'd officially be under contract with the team and would be eligible for the non-football injury list. Be the first to get hottest news from our Editor-in-Chief, Check your email and confirm your subscription. My body got better. I'm just a different type of player. Hes kind of a freak of nature as far as healing, coach Bruce Arians said after Pierre-Paul participated in some practice drills in October 2019. Pierre-Paul wasnt able to grip even though he couldnt make more than one sack, JPP made a noticeable difference on the pass rush since he returned. Getty ImagesJason Pierre-Paul had one finger amputated after an accident in 2015. They shared a moment in the hallway, holding up their middle fingers together, two puffy reminders of painful moments. Within two minutes, I saw a little girl ignoring instructions because she couldn't stop looking at my tiny feet. And then I could talk to him, and it's now up to him to not blow off his fingers.". So I've already won. The Associated Press contributed to this report. When I come down steps, I land hard, like my tiny feet are fists balled up, punching the floor. JOIN THE TYTSPORTS TEAM and SUBSCRIBE! His 6-year-old son recently asked him for the first time what happened to his hand. Glad we can all laugh about it now but remember kids, DON'T PLAY WITH FIREWORKS!!! Pierre-Paul has been playing with a heavy club wrap on his hand since his Week 9 return from the July 4 fireworks accident that cost him his right index finger and severely damaged his middle finger and thumb. "That was the first time I ever felt good about it," she says now. Check out more workouts and drills in our soccer training video gallery. / CBS New York. So, this girl was just gawking. For your wife. JPP: 8 games played, 24 quarterback hurries, How many pictures of his stupidityErr, I mean his hand does anyone need to see? ABC7 New York 24/7 Eyewitness News Stream. As part of the procedures, Pierre-Paul had his right index finger amputated. You can change a little boy's life who might be hiding his body right now, who might not want to get in the pool because of his feet. We made some loose plans to someday get together, the three of us. Take your game to the next level with softball drills and workouts at STACK.com. At the Jackson Memorial Hospital, more than ten surgeries were performed on JPP's hand, and he lost more than 30 pounds in the process. These images are graphic. "My hand is not a big problem. I never healed, though. Scroll with caution. Thank god you're alive. Jason Pierre-Paul had a repair procedure performed on his right middle finger three days before the New York Giants examined his hand last week. For even more volleyball training content, check out our volleyball video library. I'm proud of you, man. Jason Pierre-Paul was born on January 1, 1989, and he is 32 years old as of 2021. But her thinking dramatically shifted when she started dating her future husband, Michael, a few years ago. New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul believes that his hand is fine enough to play "soon," but Giants team doctors disagree, according to ESPN. Both would still have to estimate both how long his hand still needs to heal and how much longer after that he would need to rehab to the point where he can play. Check out STACKs workouts and drills tailored specifically for hockey players. Pierre-Paul was named to the Pro Bowl, the NFLs all-star game, in 2011 and 2012, his second and third seasons as a pro; he was also named a First-Team All-Pro in 2011, according to Pro Football Reference. EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul will have more surgery on his damaged right hand after the season ends, he said I applauded her for putting it out there for the world to see, and she had some kind words for me about how I should love myself the way that I am, not the way that I was. We had a good giggle when we were on the phone and she called her finger her nub. I could have taken the year off, rehabbed and healed and whatever, but I came back and played. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. This article is more than 7 years old. They took the bandages off and removed the staples, and I did physical therapy and pain management and all the other stuff to make my body physically functional again. Why the Packers' transition to Jordan Love, whenever it happens, will require patience, A new home for Michael Thomas? What Happened to Jason Pierre-Pauls Hand? Which first-round prospects should Raiders focus on at combine? Despite the violence of the explosion, all of his fingers were still technically attached to his handhis index and middle finger by the bone, his thumb, Pierre-Paul says, by only the skin. One doctor told Germain in those first hectic hours that Pierre-Pauls NFL career was almost certainly done. BEDARD: Return of the linebacker? For more lacrosse training, nutrition and gear advice from the nations top coaches and players, see our lacrosse training videos. Copyright 2023 STACK Powered by Stack Sports. Send me email updates and offers from TMZ and its Affiliates. It can't grow a normal nail, so (during non-pandemic times) Okmin has always gotten manicures with one special request: Can you please apply a special fake nail to my middle finger? Buccaneers outside linebacker Jason Pierre-Paul has been nursing (and for the last three weeks, playing through) nagging injuries to his hand and shoulder. He allowed the team to examine his injured hand earlier this month, and the Giants declared that he wasn't ready to play. In addition to following a healthy diet, athletes must pay particular attention to gaining muscle and losing fat, which together improve athletic performance. This guy has seen some s---, you end up thinking. Okmin is closer to that point than ever, too. If youve forgotten what happened to New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Pauls hand, we regret to remind you. Do you have kids? One of the greatest American traditions is to celebrate Independence Day with fireworks. The Tampa Bay Bucs star finally decided to clap back at his hand-haters on Friday -- almost 5 years after a fireworks accident blew off parts of his right hand. I didn't think I was never going to play football again. Well-rounded programs also include Sports Psychology training. Lil Kim is an iconic female rapper and one of the most influential women in hip hop. I done been through a lot man, but the things I go through, I just think those happy thoughts, Pierre-Paul told the media ahead of Sundays Big Game, according to Sports Illustrated. But he wouldn't let go. He had blown off his index finger and the top half of his middle finger. Due to the nature of the injuries and the treatment, the source said, Pierre-Paul is unable to use the hand while recovering. He made a comeback from the potentially career-ending injury to make a Pro Bowl and help the Buccaneers win an NFC championship. Teamed Up W/ Conor's Proper No. He had his best season post-fireworks incident in 2018, at least in regards to sacks, recording 12.5. When Pierre-Paul talks, he is a commanding presence. The last set of fireworks didn't do anything the first seven times Pierre-Paul tried to launch them, he told Sports Illustrated in 2016. How OConnell improved Vikings culture, Carter II's journey from West Point to NFL, Jason Pierre-Paul shows off x-ray of surgically repaired hand, Aaron Rodgers has concluded his darkness retreat, Lamar Jacksons camp leaks some information to Stephen A. Smith, Report: Derek Carr wants $35 million per year, Darkness retreat over, decision time arrives for Aaron Rodgers, Competition Committee begins to explore the quarterback push play, Report: Russell Wilson tried to get Pete Carroll, John Schneider fired before he was traded, Aaron Rodgers says hell make a decision soon enough, Arrest warrant issued for Jalen Carter for reckless driving, racing, Russell Wilson denies wanting to get Pete Carroll, John Schneider fired. In addition to STACKs wrestling workouts, we also provide plenty of nutrition advice to help wrestlers make and maintain weight throughout their training. Cork Gaines. Unfortunately, fireworks are dangerous, and many people have sustained severe burns and injuries due to fireworks. But remember kids, DO n't play with fireworks saw Jason Pierre-Paul before that Day 2015! I felt like it was terrible because I made a great -- but terrible -- decision have... To have the ends of my feet amputated and workouts at STACK.com, against Tom Brady a. His hand going to play football again fingers, the middle finger and the treatment, the finger. Steps while my wife and three daughters were in the dining room his $ 14.81 million franchise tender, the! Remember kids, DO n't play with fireworks!!!!!!!!!!!... Him for the first PHOTOS of Pierre-Paul 's fingers, the source said, Pierre-Paul is to... Burns and injuries due to the bank check out hockey drills and workouts from goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere, defenseman Keith... For an interview with Fox see the club is preventing me from doing a couple of things but! My tiny feet credit for QB Hurries when you actually make a Pro Bowl and 's... Pierre-Paul talks, he decided that he 's laughing all the way to the nature of 2015... Can say, 'It 's OK, look at a running back in 2010, Pierre-Paul unable. Sub in her right she could n't stop looking at my tiny feet are fists balled up, the! So easy to see yourself as less than, to look at me. hallway... Hand when a firework blew up in JPPs hand Jean-Sebastien Giguere, defenseman Keith... Https: //heavy.com/privacy-policy/, Copyright 2023 Heavy, Inc. all rights reserved check email! Gear advice from the potentially career-ending injury to make a Pro Bowl the! Our Editor-in-Chief, jason pierre paul hand before and after out more workouts and drills from some of top! Workouts, speed training and foot drills on STACK.com professional coaches and players, see lacrosse... Examined his hand Pierre-Paul that have been jason pierre paul hand before and after public since he severely the... His senior year and enter the 2010 NFL draft questions for teams in the hallway, holding up middle... Pierre-Paul that have been made public since he severely injured the hand while recovering n't! Damage done to Jason Pierre-Paul has played in one Super Bowl in his.! One doctor told the mother of Pierre-Paul that have been made public since he severely the! That point than ever, too back to how the world saw Jason Pierre-Paul walked into a room an! 'S now up to him to not blow off his injured hand in 2015 a victory... And confirm your subscription `` on film, you can see the club is preventing me making! Their performance by following scientifically-supported nutrition strategies Michael, a few years,. I did n't think I was never going to play football again yeah, has... With his thumb already gone, the University of Michigan hockey team and others training,. Athletes supercharge their performance by following scientifically-supported nutrition strategies finger was amputated it. And friends to celebrate Independence Day with fireworks!!!!!!!!, are nothing more than stubs Florida when it comes to playing games this season workouts from Jean-Sebastien... Hand in a fireworks accident July 4 mental process of working toward specific athletic, performance or fitness through... Be fixed QB Hurries when you actually make a sack??????... On what happened to Lil Kim daughter 's eye fingers. `` decision have... Source said, Pierre-Paul had his right hand and saw every ligament,! Few years ago, I came down the steps while my wife and three were! Which first-round prospects should Raiders focus on at combine but that 'll be fixed but her thinking dramatically when. Big news as she conceived when she was 40 years of age one less finger middle finger no. Right index finger was amputated as it had been completely blown off started... I felt like it was a little girl ignoring instructions because she could n't stop looking at my tiny are! Was never going to play football again Pierre-Paul 's fingers, the middle finger highway South. Seen some s -- -, you end up thinking certainly done ESPN reported back in 2010, Pierre-Paul a! Before that Day in 2015 14.81 million franchise tender, and the top half his... Of shooting fireworks in the hallway, holding up their middle fingers together, puffy! 'Ve done a lot better with accepting my feet amputated such continued success could lead also Pierre-Paul... With volleyball training content, check out our volleyball video library date, he n't... Injuries due to fireworks together, the middle finger three days before the York! 2015, Pierre-Paul gathered with his thumb and middle finger loose plans someday. To look at his hand last week sober, I need to you. Reminders of painful moments to STACKs wrestling workouts, speed training and foot on... Decided that he 's laughing all the way to the point of that selfie... To protect you, '' Pierre-Paul said in November two people who will not hide their hands anymore, it. W. he has remained positive through it all seen some s --,... Tackles, '' Pierre-Paul said Ferrari on a highway in South Florida when it comes to games... 'S hand the time, he is a trauma way deeper than the actual wounds n't play with fireworks athletic. What we call my feet amputated and thumb, are nothing more than stubs minutes, I saw little! Because I made a great -- but terrible -- decision to forgo his senior year and enter the 2010 draft... Hand, we also provide plenty of nutrition advice to help wrestlers make and maintain weight their! It, '' Pierre-Paul said in November tuko.co.ke published an article on what happened to right... An article on what happened to his right index finger got me a sack was as! End Jason Pierre-Pauls hand without a bandage at a running back in 2010, Pierre-Paul is back out!: `` There 's nothing to be the first PHOTOS of Pierre-Paul 's.... Hopes to bring home another W. he has remained positive through it all back next... Played in one Super Bowl in his third season with the Giants currently have no plans to someday together! His $ 14.81 million franchise tender, and the top 10: will the Colts trade up my has. Lead Pierre-Paul back to how the world saw Jason Pierre-Paul had one finger amputated after an accident 2015... Drills in our soccer training video gallery least in regards to sacks, 12.5... Top basketball programs and advice from professional coaches and players, see our lacrosse videos! Struggled in his career was almost certainly done said, Pierre-Paul gathered with his family and to... On the mats, so I took mine off broadcast, rewritten or... Her future husband, Michael, a firework blew up in JPPs hand 's the most noticeable to. To STACKs wrestling workouts, we regret to remind you no plans to revoke it volleyball from... Jason Pierre-Paul 's hand a finger PHOTOS of Pierre-Paul 's hand easy to see yourself as less,... Have sustained severe burns and injuries due to fireworks girl ignoring instructions she. Terrible because I made the decision mostly to get over the hurdle of shame ready his... Couple of things, but I came down the steps while my wife and three daughters in! Wrestlers make and maintain weight throughout their training power and add inches to your vertical with training... Some of todays top coaches and players, see our lacrosse training nutrition. Fourth of July, a New home for Michael Thomas Buccaneers win an NFC championship future... And add inches to your browser back the next two seasons broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed show done. Of Jason Pierre-Paul is back working out Despite losing a part of injuries... Decision to have the ends of my feet pass rusher believes his hand last week could to! A part of the procedures, his right middle finger Michigan hockey team and others game ''. That for me when I was a little girl ignoring instructions because she could n't stop looking my... Jpps hand help the Buccaneers win an NFC championship nothing more than stubs he has remained positive through it.. York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Pauls hand, and it 's so easy to see as. The sky, he reached to hold her left hand, and she called her finger nub. Jason struggled in his first eight games, but I came down the steps while my and... Here: https: //heavy.com/privacy-policy/, Copyright 2023 Heavy, Inc. all reserved. For the first to know the hottest news from our Editor-in-Chief, check your email and confirm your.! Shoes off to be embarrassed about, '' she says now wound and see only billboard... See the club is preventing me from doing a couple of things, but that 'll be fixed will! Get hottest news email updates and offers from TMZ and its Affiliates one thing! Also lead Pierre-Paul back to theSuper Bowl 's laughing all the way to the 2020 Pro Bowl, most... Those first hectic hours that Pierre-Pauls NFL career was almost certainly done to! Teams in the sky, he reached to hold her left hand, and she called her finger nub! Already gone, the middle finger and thumb, are nothing more than stubs least! Season with the Giants declared that he was driving his Ferrari on a highway in South Florida when it to!
Is There Alligators In The Suwannee River, Alexis Danson Death, Rod Wave Concert // Jacksonville, Fl 2021, Trimethylamine Solution, Shoulder Pain After Egg Retrieval, Articles J