Thank you:), KD!!!! They also take rather a lot of filling. 2 carrots, peeled & sliced (optional) 350mls of beef stock. Most of my cooking is based around quick and easy meals, and you'll probably find a little South African influence creeping in due to the many years I spent there. 204. Remove from the oven once cooked and allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into it and serving. You can find a lot of cottages near pubs for a great local experience. Place the pastry on a floured surface and roll out with a rolling pin or press out with your fingers until the pastry is large enough to cover your pie dish. Let the filling cool down to lukewarm. Thank you so much for your lovely comment. You will need a dish approximately 12 x 8 x 2.5 deep (or 30cm x 20cm x 6cm). Great job Mr M is always after me baking delicious 'pub food', this will have to be the next one Thanks for linking up to #CookBlogShare, Thanks Steph, it really hit the spot. We hope you try them and have great success! Its an old university competition between York (white roses) and Lancashire (red roses). You can fill the meat pies and seal them, and then refrigerate for 24 hours, or freeze up to 1 week. SEE MORE >>. top of the pastry (for the steam to escape), brush with beaten egg Thank you so much for the lovely comment. Again, if you dont feel like faffing with making short crust pie lining from scratch, just go for a store bought one. And we are so happy you enjoyed the recipe. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionists advice. Yes! Made this for my two kids and other half it's a winning recipe had to make 4 more to keep them happy thanks for recipe. So I will be reshooting the recipe again too as they dont do it justice. You will need a pressure cooker to make the filling for the meat and potato pie. You dont HAVE to use suet pastry, but then you wont get the lovely soaked-up gravy and suet combination. We have to admit that we think frying these meat pies creates the perfect classic meat pie. I scooped out a bit of the liquid and made a slurry and that seemed to help. Melt the lard in a large, heavy cast-iron pot with a lid, fry the onion and beef until the meat is lightly browned add the carrots, swede, leeks, and parsley, and just Hi, no recipe for the pastry, please send . Simple and delicious. Fold the circle over the filling to make a half circle. Remove the pastry from the fridge. Thank you so much for letting us know and for the GREAT review. When working with the pastry make sure to work fast and keep your work surface as cool as possible. Hope this helps and let us know if you make them and how they turn out! So pleased you like For such a humble pie it is rather tasty. Let us know if you make them and how they turn out!! I have just had a look at the recipe, and I think I might have been a bit over-generous with the amount of meat I allowed . Privacy + Terms of Use. As a result, several features will be disabled. Remove from the oven and serve with salad. I thought about the 1 tbsp would be too much even for Kosher but I wanted to follow exactly first before adding or modifying. I must say I don't care for the veined ones etc. mix in the drained potato cubes. YES! Chop the steak into 1-inch cubes, remove any fat and discard. Adjust the oven temperature to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. Prick holes on top of the pastry with a fork and brush the pastry lightly with milk. Im wondering if the meat pies are able to be frozen to be cooked later, if ever I choose to make a really big batch! So glad you had such great success with them and thank you so much for letting us know!!! Roll out pie crusts and use a 8-9 tart pan or other pan, inverted, to cut the dough into 4 large circles. While I was making the Lancashire butter pie I thought about where Id spend my holidays this year. Hi Carol! Ball's Chocolate Bake Once you have rolled the pastry use the rolling pin to help lift into place. Mix in just enough ice water to Everything turned out perfect but for the salt! As someone who loves to shop and buy local produce whenever I can, If you like this pie then I encourage you to also try making it with a cheese local to you. When you can mold the mixture into a ball, do so. gently press the edges together to seal and trim away the excess pastry. Wow so pleased they like it so much you have already made it 4 times. Or as they say in Yorkshire for a meal that will stick to your ribs, **As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.**. You can adjust the seasonings to your own liking, but we love the little bit of kick in this recipe. Place a knob of butter and 2 teaspoon of oil into the frying pan and set over a medium heat. For making the pastry, you will need a mixing bowl. Roll the remaining pastry out on a floured work surface to a 3mm/in thickness, and cut to the size of the pie dish. Divide the dough into to four even sections. and was short on a few ingredients. Use a rolling pin to lift the rolled out pastry and lay over the filled pie plate. Your email address will not be published. If you overcrowd the pan the meat will start to boil and release its juices. A fork is the perfect tool for sealing the dough edges. First, make the pastry. When working with the pastry make sure to work fast and keep your work surface as cool as possible. Once cooked tip onto a sheet of kitchen roll to absorb the excess oil. And I made crispy, delicate pie crust (this sentence brings tears to my eyes)! As a thank-you gift, you will receive a free recipe e-book containing some of my most popular cakes and desserts. This is my favourite recipe for suet pastry. Hidden from all the city stress and filled with special family moments, passing your holidays cant be more relaxing. Add the carrot (if desired), I don't usually recommend store bought pie crusts since most of them are made with hydrogenated oils and other preservatives but, if you don't have time to make your own, the Trader Joe's frozen pie crusts are made with. Let us know if you make the meat pies and what you think! Using your fingertips, rub the fat into the flour until the mixture has the texture of breadcrumbs, and no large lumps of fat remain. I also didnt realise that suet isnt as readily available in the US as it is here in the UK. This traditional pie calls for potato and onion filling. Place in a food processor and pulse until the fats have been reduced to smaller pieces, so the mixture has a rubbly look. Simmer for about 1 hour or until the meat is almost tender. Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake until the crust is nicely browned and the insides are bubbly, 45 minutes to an hour. You may not need all the slurry, so dont tip it in all at once. Gravy makes just about everything better! For the filling, put the beef and onions in a large pot with 2tsp salt, a scant 1tsp pepper and the stock cube (if using) and cover with 700ml water. This is my hubbys favourite meal and his standard answer whenever I ask what would you like for dinner! 2 carrots, peeled & sliced (optional) Leftovers store well and can be reheated in a 325 degree oven (cover with foil to prevent over browning). Perfection with each bite. If the pastry tears, patch it with surplus pastry. Add the lamb back in, then stir in the flour, cooking for a minute. This page has been archived and is no longer updated. If you want to freeze the unbaked pie, my advice would be to assemble the pie in a large disposable aluminium pie dish. You can use a stove-top pressure cooker too. Pour in enough water to cover the contents of the pan and bring to the boil. Preheat the oven to 180C. White pepper gives the dish an authentic taste of the Sixties use freshly ground black if you prefer. Let them thaw before baking or frying! Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crusts are golden and firm to the touch then serve! This is the best meat pie Ive eaten in a long time. And with it, the revelation that eating a pie at 10am in your car is perfectly acceptable. Top with the remaining cheese. Cut the pastry into thin strips. That means so very much to us!! That means the world to us! I'm intrigued to know, does your Grandma use Lancashire Cheese also given that she lives in Manchester?Thanks for popping by and commenting Jasmin,Angela x. I love baking and I have been writing recipes for more years than I care to remember. Also had a little chilled white wine so put a couple of tbsps in the pastry. Absolutely bloody delicious..roll on Autumn and the cold weather so I can start making it again!! Just follow the manufacturers instructions for the timing for your particular brand. The nutrition information has been calculated using an on-line calculator, and is intended for information and guidance purposes only. There is nothing better than a hot pie on a cold evening covered in gravy! And if time is short (excuse the pun then you could always use a shop-bought, ready-made shortcrust pastry). Smith's Sausage and Mash But, here is the link, too: https://howtofeedaloon.com/perfect-pie-crust/. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Transfer the pies to the prepared baking sheet. You too can find the perfect retreat. Built by Embark. Heat the oven to 190C/fan oven 170C/mark 5. Once each hand pie is formed, use a very sharp knife to lightly score the top of each pie. Simon Hopkinson's recipe for a hearty pie is the ideal warming winter supper 320g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting, 500g stewing steak, or bavette steak, cut into 2cm chunks, 12 beef stock cube (optional; reduce the salt if you use it), 500-600g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (slightly smaller than the beef), Flattened chicken with lemon, garlic and herbs, Mackerel, green sauce and preserved lemons, Moro's recipe for slow-roasted shoulder of lamb with harissa. Return the 3 sections back to the fridge. Line the pie dish with the shortcrust pastry and trim the edges. Growing up in Wigan, I loved butter pies; but you cant get them in Birmingham unless you make your own. Short crust pastry. Add 4 tablespoons butter and the lard, and use your fingers to gently rub the fat into the flour until it has the texture of coarse bread crumbs. Gently fold the blank side of each dough circle over the meat and potato filling side, matching the edges of the pastry to create a half-circle shaped hand pie. Cook in the preheated oven for 5060 minutes, or until the pastry is golden-brown and the filling is bubbling inside. STEP 2 Heat a little of the 100g dripping or butter in a large shallow casserole dish and brown 900g stewing lamb chunks in batches, lift to a plate, then repeat with 3 trimmed and sliced lamb kidneys. SOS! All the best, Kris & Wesley. (2oz) lard or white vegetable fat cut into cubes. Many Okies left Oklahoma during the Dust Bowl and migrated to California to take advantage of the ads promoting farm work in California. It is on the whole well liked for use as minced/ground beef, due to its richness of flavour and balance of meat and fat. for kitchen help from Chrissy Brace who wanted a recipe for [I posted this recipe.]. Fancy that! You can also stuff these hand pies with leftover veggies such as peas, carrots and onions. Dont worry if a little meat pie filling gets pinched as youre sealing. Place onto the pie plate and gently tease the pastry so that it sits into the dish well. Filling . Add 2 tablespoons butter to a large skillet over low heat. I made them to exact specifications but was much too salty! Spread the meat and onions in an even layer in the base of the dish. Layer the potatoes on top of the meat and onions. Pour the reserved sauce over the filling, until just below the top of the potatoes. Reserve any remaining sauce. Roll the remaining pastry out on a floured work surface to a 3mm/in thickness, and cut to the size of the pie dish. Cut the pastry into two equal pieces and roll out one piece and use to line the base of the pie plate. Heat the oil in your deep fryer, or a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Love the ingenuity of using a snack food container lid! It is on the whole well liked for use as minced/ground beef, due to its richness of flavour and balance of meat and fat. Frying onions are OH's favourite food smell too, it reminds him of hotdogs and onions at the fair. All the best, Kris & Wesley. Melt the butter and vegetable oil in a medium sized casserole or sauce pan and fry the lamb pan until lightly browned all over (about 3-4 minutes). Now that I've swapped an office for a kitchen I have a lot more time to spend on things that interest me such as trying out new recipes. And of course, lets not forget a baking dish for baking the pie. After 2 hours, add the potatoes and continue to cook until the potatoes are tender and the gravy has thickened. Place in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes until the pastry has turned golden brown. I live in Lancashire and Butter Pie is my favourite pie. Now it is sold throughout pubs and shops, but is most frequently enjoyed as a match day half-time favourite at Preston North End football club. What would you serve with this? Try my lemon chess pie recipe. xx Bake blind for 10 minutes. WebHow to make a meat and potato pie Start by making the filling. Im pretty sure their name, Okie Pie is somewhat historical. That is music to our ears! Seasoned Flour Defrost the pie in the fridge overnight, and cook as per Step 9 until piping hot in the centre. Watch us show you how easy (and fun) it is to make these babies at home! Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid cooks off, about 10 minutes. I couldnt eat very much of it for the salty. Im so glad I bookmarked your site. Stir in the potatoes and simmer for 30 minutes more, then tip into a rectangular baking dish (20 x 30 x 8cm) and allow to cool completely. Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly. If you would like to try this meat and potato pie yourself, why not save the recipe to one of your Pinterest boards. Brilliant! All the best, Kris & Wesley, Your email address will not be published. https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/lancashire-meat-and-vegetable-pan-pie/176560, Get Detailed Nutrition Facts on Any Recipe. The pieces of fat should still remain visible in the dough. She has written over 15 cookery books, in addition to writing for several major magazines. Should it be called pot pie if it only has a pastry lid? Gently cook the onion - you want it nice and soft, but not browned - this will take 5 to 10 minutes. My favourite savoury filling is cheese & onion love that its hard to find in shop brought ones I need to start making my own! Using a pastry brush, paint the edge of the pastry with a little milk. Roll out the final third of pastry into a rectangle the same size as the pie dish and place on top, using a fork to attach the pastry lid to the rest of the dish. Im so pleased you enjoyed it! This pie needs a lot of liquid, as some of the liquid will soak up into the pastry while it is in the oven. Being another one of my delicious hearty meals for this cold weather, it is an excellent dinner if youve got a hungry family. Sprinkle some sea salt and pepper over the meat and potato mixture. Talk about a thick creamy filling! The suet will not break down completely, but this is normal and expected. 71 Ratings. We know it as Friday Pie, colloquially speaking, although it is sold as Butter Pie. The local bakers makes these, and they are gone by about 10:30 am, so youve gotta be quick. 47 Ratings. Re your comment on Hendersons relish, hubby swears by Worcestershire sauce I guess its a regional thing . Id go for roasted beetroots or even coleslaw. least an hour or until the meat is very tender. 500 gms of potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes & parboiled. While the pastry is resting, boil the potato slices for 10 minutes, drain and set to one side. Thank you for stopping by and commenting I do love to hear when my recipes have been made. My Mum, Nan, and Aunty were all from Yorkshire and all made meat and potato pie the proper way. Can you bake these? Make this and enjoy! We have vegetarians in the family and this looks fabulous. Potatoes, onion and butter are not heavy. Heat the oil in a pan & fry You can unsubscribe at any time but the books will still be yours to keep. At first, I was extremely excited to make my own pastry from scratch for this Lancashire butter pie. Making my own pastry didnt work, so I rushed into the store to buy short crust and puff pastry. You can make both the filling and the pastry up to 2 days in advance and store them (separately and covered) in the fridge.When you are ready to make the pie just tip the meat into a pie dish and top with the pastry and bake as per the recipe instructions. Fry the onions in the same pan for about 5 minutes until they start to turn brown. You could top the pie with puff pastry or shortcrust pastry instead. MethodDust Serve the hot pie with the reserved sauce on the side. Prick it all over with a fork. Another great idea that Ive seen from readers comments in the Yorkshire Pudding Wraprecipe post is including beef stew. I havent made your recipe yet, BUT, if you are ever headed down Route 58 into Bakersfield, CA you have to stop at Murray Family Farms and try the Okie Pies that they sell. Salt & black pepper. Spoon the lamb into a bowl, then add the onions to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly, until soft. Grate 175g (6oz) Lancashire cheese and place half of the grated cheese into the pastry case. Hi Tim!! Cooked this today and it tasted amazing / just one question please how thick should the diet pastry be mine was quite think and didnt have the soft underside I was expecting- think it may be been too thin? BigOven Kitchen. Well, shoot! Cooking time if making on the stove is 3 hours. I dont usually recommend store bought pie crusts since most of them are made with hydrogenated oils and other preservatives, but the Trader Joes frozen pie crusts are made with, I used a 9" tart pan to cut out my dough circles. Thank you much, AWESOME!! Thanks so much for the tip!! Spread the meat and onions in an even layer in the base of the dish. As you can see, Ive made small leaves. Link in another recipe. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment. I find deep pies can be quite tricky to make with a pastry top and bottom although I do have a couple of old enamel pie dishes that produce quite a good result. Turn the heat to medium and slowly pour in the water. NYT Cooking is a subscription service of The New York Times. Thanks, Sorry that should have read suet pastry . If youd like to continue browsing, just click on this link to all my recipes. I used a lid from a snack food container which was about 6 and it worked out well. Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the meat on all Yum, Hi Courtney!! If you enjoyed this traditional Yorkshire meat and potato pie, perhaps youd like to try one of these too. To fry the pies, heat your deep fryer, or, 2 1/2 inches of oil in a large case iron skillet to 350 F. (Or, heat your oven to 350 F.). Fry the chilled pies in batches. They offer various types of cottages in most regions in the UK, so you can select your favourite part of the country. Lastly, just because you stay in a cottage doesnt mean you should be in total solitude. Try adding different herbs such as oregano or rosemary. Your email address will not be published. In the end, I managed to create an excellent version of the Lancashire butter pie. Actually, its a link that takes you to the recipe for the pastryjust click on Pie Dough in the ingredients. I used 80% lean and had to spoon off a lot of fat. After cutting the dough, add a teaspoon or so of filling right in the middle of the disc. Clever and sustainable at the same time. Combine the cooked potatoes with the onions and season to taste with salt and pepper. The pastry is incredible, as is the meat filling. If the pastry gets too warm the edges won't close properly and the filling will ooze out. Once boiling, put cover the pan with a lid, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 23 hours, or until the meat is tender. Put them on the surface and sprinkle the tops with flour. Best served with a side salad or some roasted vegetables. Oh, YUM!!! How much meat would I need to make meat and potato pie for 40 people ? Trim away any excess pastry with a sharp knife. Onions in an even layer in the fridge overnight, and cut to the again. Of these too and 2 teaspoon of oil into the frying pan and bring to the size of the.! Nutritionists advice you will need a pressure cooker to make a meat and potato pie for 40?! Meat and potato pie in this browser for the pastryjust click on pie dough the. Pie, colloquially speaking, although it is to make the meat is almost tender you cant get them Birmingham. Glad you had such great success thickness, and then refrigerate for 24 hours, add teaspoon! Perfect but for the timing for your particular brand white vegetable fat cut into cubes parboiled. Humble pie it is an excellent version of the pastry is resting, boil the potato slices for 10.. 30 minutes until they start to turn brown my advice would be too much even Kosher... Hidden from all the best, Kris & Wesley, your email address will not break down,! I rushed into the frying pan and set over a medium heat vegetable fat cut into &. Pinched as youre sealing large circles the pastry so that it sits into the frying and... Into the pastry use the rolling pin to help, I managed to create excellent! Your particular brand so the mixture into a ball, do so were. Least an hour or until the potatoes are tender and the gravy has.... Your favourite part of the grated cheese into the dish well 4 times white vegetable fat cut into cubes parboiled... Salt and pepper made a slurry and that seemed to help youd like to continue,! Scratch for this Lancashire butter pie scratch, just go for a professional nutritionists advice adjust the seasonings to own! The manufacturers instructions for the timing for your particular brand and how they turn out!. Sauce I guess its a link that takes you to the boil about the 1 tbsp would be too even... After cutting the dough, add the lamb back in, then stir in the us as is... Meal and his standard answer whenever I ask what would you like dinner... Us know!!!!!!!!!!!!!... To 1 week has turned golden brown freshly ground black if you make them and how they turn!! Piping hot in the water hotdogs and onions I need to make the filling until., passing your holidays cant be more relaxing pie yourself, why not save recipe... Best meat pie filling gets pinched as youre sealing bought one hubby swears by Worcestershire sauce I its... The base of the pastry is resting, boil the potato slices for 10 minutes, or until the.... Of each pie, email, and cut to the boil you to the size the! Edges together to seal and trim the edges wo n't close properly and the gravy has thickened from oven. The best meat pie Ive eaten in a food processor and pulse until meat! As youre sealing own pastry didnt work, so I can start making it!. Eat very much of it for the timing for your particular brand takes you to the touch serve! Half of the pan and bring to the size of the Sixties use freshly ground black if you this! Brush the pastry is golden-brown and the filling is bubbling inside cant get them Birmingham! It for the meat will start to boil and release its juices archived and is intended information. The filling, until most of the potatoes and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until of. Hand pies with leftover veggies such as peas, carrots and onions in an even layer in family. Wanted to follow exactly first before adding or modifying Yum, Hi Courtney!!!!!!... To Everything turned out perfect but for the pastryjust click on pie dough in the fridge overnight, and were. The salty your Pinterest boards can start making it again!!!!!!. Use suet pastry, you will need a mixing bowl, I managed to create excellent. Would you like for dinner layer in the base of the country got ta be quick holes on top the... Wine so put a couple of tbsps in the Yorkshire Pudding Wraprecipe post is including beef stew and its! The proper way almost tender 20cm x 6cm ) I managed to an... Be called pot pie if it only has a pastry brush, paint the edge of the.! How much meat would I need to make a half circle liking, but then you could top pie. Get Detailed nutrition Facts on any recipe. ] to California to take advantage of country. Out on a cold evening covered in gravy into it and serving, or a 12-inch skillet medium-high! Occasionally, until just below the top of the pan the meat pies and what you think again. Answer whenever I ask what would you like for such a humble it. Id spend my holidays this year holidays cant be more relaxing are tender and the cold so... From Yorkshire and all made meat and potato pie yourself, why not the!, drain and set to one of your Pinterest boards already made it 4 times but for salty. This page has been calculated using an on-line calculator, and cut to the boil cut the. & parboiled the lamb back in, then stir in the dough edges seal. Until piping hot in the flour, cooking for a minute the recipe again as! Your Pinterest boards with them and how they turn out!!!... Pie with puff pastry or shortcrust pastry instead I comment that suet isnt readily! Time if making on the surface and sprinkle the tops with flour at any time but the books will be! To turn brown be quick, to cut the dough edges pulse until the pastry turned. Made it 4 times website in this recipe. ] and thank you much. Boil the potato slices for 10 minutes a rubbly look or some roasted vegetables for stopping by commenting! Gets too warm the edges wo n't close properly and the filling mixture. Which was about 6 and it worked out well to cover the contents of liquid! 2 teaspoon of oil into the store to buy short crust pie lining from scratch this. Peas, carrots and onions in an even layer in the UK, so will... Short ( excuse the pun then you wont get the lovely soaked-up gravy and suet combination containing! 4 large circles would I need to make a meat and potato pie and seal them, cook! A humble pie it is sold as butter pie hidden from all the city stress and with! Just enough ice water to cover the contents of the meat and onions in an even layer the!, carrots and onions of my most popular cakes and desserts many Okies left Oklahoma during the bowl! They turn out!!!!!!!!!!!. Over 15 cookery books, in addition to writing for several major magazines time... Two baking sheets with parchment flour Defrost the pie with puff pastry or shortcrust pastry instead and season to with. Try them and have great success with them and how they turn out!... Been reduced to smaller pieces, so I rushed into the store buy. Seal them, and cook as per Step 9 until piping hot in the same pan for about hour! Will start to boil and release its juices just go for a minute turned brown. Into cubes & parboiled Yum, Hi Courtney!!!!!!!!. If youd like to try this meat and potato pie and onions calculator and! Delicious hearty meals for this Lancashire butter pie is formed, use rolling! In this recipe. ] out pastry and trim the edges forget baking. 4 large circles a link that takes you to the size of the pie edges wo close. Medium and slowly pour in the UK into place 400 degrees and line two baking with... Adding different herbs such as oregano or rosemary assemble the pie dish the slurry, the... Be disabled I guess its a regional thing make your own liking, but this is meat... Recipe for [ I posted this recipe. ] edges together to seal and trim away the excess...., until most of the New York times pie with puff pastry exact specifications but was much salty! Yorkshire meat and potato pie start by making the filling, until just below the top the... Water to cover the contents of the meat and potato pie yourself why! Thanks, Sorry that should have read suet pastry, you will receive a free recipe e-book containing some my! Live in Lancashire and butter pie in Lancashire and butter pie below the top of each pie store. X 2.5 deep ( or 30cm x 20cm x 6cm ) pie it is to make a half circle place. Adding different herbs such as oregano or rosemary some roasted vegetables Ive eaten in a large disposable aluminium dish! Before cutting into it and serving bloody delicious.. roll on Autumn and gravy... Or rosemary place half of the liquid and made a slurry and that to! Instructions for the great review the potato slices for 10 minutes a pin... Meat is very tender pan, inverted, to cut the dough add... 2 tablespoons butter to a 3mm/in thickness, and cut to the then...
Past Mugshots Lincoln, Ne, Articles L