God, not everything that hurts peoples feelings is wrong. And lots of people of all ages actually do engage in fantasy role-playing as entertainment. Urinating and dedication in a litter box, for others to clean up is unsanitary and quite frankly disgusting. A "furry" is someone who role-plays or identifies as an animal, or an animal character with human-like characteristics. "My response to that would be one of the things that teachers have found recently that they've really tried to improve upon is in our language arts classes, (and) other classes too, is making sure that students understand author's point of view, author's bias, credible sources," Lewton said. to accommodate students who identify as cats, the Public Schools Branch says. And so, we've been working on that to make sure that our kids are good citizens and that they can identify author's bias or credible sources. or Venmo at Iowa-Standard-2018 or through the mail at: PO Box 112 Sioux Center, IA 51250 There continue to be tales of students identifying as cats with, well, tails and all . "Some furries wear elaborate costumes or paraphernalia such as animal ears or tails, or represent themselves as anthropomorphic animals in online communities such as Second Life," the website. Its like the slippery-slope arguments that we heard back when Iowa legalized same-sex marriage: If we allow this, next well have to condone marriages involving pedophilia. May. For other inquiries, Contact Us. I'm a real-life furry and my lifestyle is no dirty 'cat litter box' joke. Custodial staff CANNOT be required to clean up litter boxes. School litter box fever will not die in Iowa. O'Furr, who has traced the origins of the litter box urban legend, dates the hoax to at least 2008. I know what my folks would have done if I had notions like that. Copyright 2022 KCCI via CNN Newsource. At the school sit-down, concerned parent Lisa Hansen said she was really disturbed after reportedly learning from a student that at least one of our schools in our town, in one of the unisex bathrooms, a litter box for the kids that identify as cats. Im just sayin. The flurries of furries has reached North Dakota, with some school districts in Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo issuing statements to debunk the kitty litter rumors, as detailed in a Forum article . My son largely ignores them but has found out, when forced into "social" situations with them that their parents are in full support, including the kids being nude at home because cats don't wear clothes (litter boxes at home are rumored but not confirmed). The truth has been declawed. In the video, she mentions a group called "furries" which according to Merriam Webster refers to. 'A rising usage of furry refers to people who have a keen interest in or even dress up as, anthropomorphic animal characters, like those often seen in comics, games, and cartoons. The Iowa Standard has heard from a handful of parents across the state concerned about students identifying as "furries" at various schools throughout the state. Why is damn near everything the GOP pushes anchored in manufactured fear? More people are discussing students identifying as cats in schools, Iowa Senate Dems pull a McAullife: Call Republicans running for school board literal terrorists, PENCE: Empower Americans to have access to medicines, vaccines they want, let it be their choice, RFRA, Governors Emergency Powers Reform bills will not survive funnel in Iowa Senate State Government Committee, HOUSE HEARINGS: Book bill has early Wednesday subcommittee, SENATE SUBS: Human trafficking task force bill in Wednesday hearing, Google dings stories about 'furries,' ineffectiveness of COVID vaccines as violating standards - The Iowa Standard. Iowa Capital Dispatch is part of States Newsroom, a network of news bureaus supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Jul 18, 2022. 13, 2022 7:00 am, Updated: May. I am currently in school to be a teacher and asked my professors their opinions on the topic and many of . Sharrow said the rumor was recently brought up by a parent during a school board meeting on December 20 and has since been shared widely online. Why would this be allowed in the school systems anywhere? This story has been shared 125,674 times. The superintendent tells WLKY the situation is being addressed, but according to a concerned grandparent, it's an ongoing problem that has many students on edge . Crow laughed. It all started with one Michigan school board meeting where a parent went on a strange rant after she "discovered" that her school is putting litter boxes in bathrooms. These lawsuits should be plain and simple. I want to weigh in here, because I am a Furry. Its more of a role-playing type thing that some people do to express themselves in a different way. Somehow, it always comes back to money. Brilliant. [] More people are discussing students identifying as cats in schools []. This woman claims that a group of kids who identify as "furries" and specifically identified as cats was given litter boxes in the unisex bathroom at this school. Read full article. And the school was allowing kitty litter to be placed in the classroom or bathroom or both. Once you see through this political cat-and-mouse game, the litter box story just seems doggone sad. As part of this fact checking article, we reached out to Dickinson Public Schools to shed light on a growing rumor alleging that some unique furry protocols are coming to a school near you. Some develop elaborate video-game personas. This isnt a real thing. Remember how rightward marching culture crusaders said same-sex marriage would destroy society and bring on scary stuff such as rampant polygamy? Fifth, they need to be spayed or neutered cause these are the types of people that should not be allowed to breed! Kraayenbrink and other conservatives are working overtime to prove allowing transgender kids to live authentically in a safe school environment puts us on a path toward societal collapse. It isnt how I pictured civilisations collapse. Waukee taxpayers voice displeasure at heated meeting. Midland Public Schools Superintendent Michael E. Sharrow also had to address those rumors, saying they were false. No, furries don't get litter boxes in school bathrooms | Is This Legit? Another gawker wondered how the litter box system would even work, writing: Logistically no public school has the budget to afford kitty litter for a small percentage of their community to use also ask yourself the last janitor youve met would they scoop human feces out of a litter box?. Bostelman is the latest Republican state leader to repeat discredited rumors of students identifying as "furries" and demanding cat litter at school. published on Jan. 23, a Michigan school superintendent dispelled the rumor after a comment resurfaced from a school board member that the school district made accommodation for furries by installing litter boxes in its restrooms. And others, who call themselves furries, create animal alter egos and interact with others who do the same. And what they need right now is acceptance and understanding, not further exclusion and alienation.. (Photo by pixelfit/Getty Images). As . Is your school pushing transgender and they dont wanna be, so theyd rather be a cat? School districts in Iowa, Michigan and Nebraska have debunked claims that they are providing litter boxes in bathrooms. And today, I am equally stunned and a little bit upset -- well, not a little bit -- I'm furious," she said, according to a video of the meeting posted to YouTube. "I will do some more investigation," she added. I asked Keenan Crow of One Iowa, a LGBTQ advocacy group, if they think its a coincidence that a story like this would pop up at a time when public schools are under attack and conservative lawmakers are working to put restrictions on transgender and LGBTQ students. Iowas Most Boring Town Is A Hilarious Coincidence, Heres What 1 Year Of Working On K92.3 and Moving To Iowa Looks Like [PHOTOS], 5 Tips That May Help With Spring Allergies In Your Iowa Home, Chicago Man Convicted In Cruel Shooting of Iowa Deputy, Waterloos Lost Island Parks Announce Opening Dates. (Photo by: Auscape/Universal Images Group via Getty Images) As of late 2021 or early 2022, at least one . A couple of weeks ago we received an email. I very specifically said I am here speaking on my own behalf, Rollinger said. Put them on a leash to go to the bathroom outside. In 2021 and 2022, various American conservative and far-right politicians and . at Iowa-Standard-2018 or through the mail at: PO Box 112 Sioux Center, IA 51250 A couple of weeks ago we received an email. Kids being dumb: The Meade County School district is dealing with an unusual situation: a group of high school students is attending school acting like and dressing as cats. There are no litter boxes in the restrooms of the Carroll Community School District, its superintendent stressed, despite internet rumors that some schools are installing them for . Editor Kathie Obradovich has been covering Iowa government and politics for more than 30 years, most recently as political columnist and opinion editor for the Des Moines Register. The Carroll Community School District Superintendent, Casey Burlau, sent a letter to concerned citizens in the hopes of "dispelling a damaging rumor" that there are children identifying as animals (some call them "furries") and the district has tried to accommodate them with litter boxes. The flurries of furries has reached North Dakota, with some school districts in Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo issuing statements to debunk the kitty litter rumors, as detailed in a Forum. Kim Reynolds and some GOP lawmakers are trying again to funnel a significant share of education dollars to private and religious schools. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. I went to r/furry to ask for advice and their opinion on how to handle this situation but got permanently banned. Its a cat-spiracy. The school district has denied the claim. Connect with him on Facebook or Twitter. When a community member made a claim about litter boxes being in Brainerd at a March . A senator repeated a long-disproven hoax about children who identify as cats using litter boxes and shitting on the floor in schools on Monday, in the latest absurdity to come out of . Supposedly, a female student was identifying as a cat. "There are no litter boxes in our schools. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Interestingly, the school wrote it doesnt want to discourage or thwart the creativity or individualism of students, but it wants to promote a safe and healthy culture for all kids to feel comfortable. A school board in North Carolina considered a proposal to ban furry costumes in schools after they say they received numerous complaints about students dressing up as animals and using litter . Taylor, doesnt your school have acting, dance, music, and art classes where you can express yourselves? In January, in possibly the first report, Libs of TikTok posted a video from a Michigan school board meeting of a woman who claimed "kids who identify as a cat or a dog" can pee in litter . Thanks for contacting us. Nearly 13 years after the 2009 Supreme Court marriage ruling, I have yet to see any weddings between a groom and a cockapoo. There have never been litter boxes within MPS schools. Debunking myths about kids identifying as animals, and litter boxes in schools Published: November 7, 2022 4.32pm EST Sharon E. Roberts , University of Waterloo A furry is someone who role-plays or identifies as an animal, or an animal character with human-like characteristics. In his statement, Sharrow said it was "unconscionable that this afternoon I am sending this communication. Of course, the media is keeping littergate secret. ", The post was later edited to add, "I have no litter box proof. Same thing, wear ears, wear hooded onesies with ears and tails, purr, etc. Imagine being such a tone deaf journalist that you miss the whole point that this is about transphobia and mocking trans people. (Source: KCCI), Intelligence agencies say they cant link adversaries to Havana syndrome, LIVE: Students hold protest over anti LGBTQ+ laws in Iowa City, People lay flowers at station in Greece, site of deadly crash. Eastern Iowa Woman Cashes in $250,000 Lottery Prize, Former Hawkeye Standout Keegan Murray Has A Shot At NBA Record, Extremely Common Animal Found In Iowa Is Illegal To Own As A Pet. DEIJ Policy | Ethics Policy | Privacy Policy. Well, litter boxes, apparently. I do. You will begin to receive our Daily Opinion updates and our topical Pints & Politics newsletter. Public school districts have already proven they lack transparency and are willing to tolerate any abhorrent behavior. His latest book is The Grace Controversy. And I guess I've never seen anybody dressed up.". In a text message Sunday, Kraayenbrink told the Messenger he found out about the litter boxes during a confidential conversation and he does not feel comfortable identifying the district. I never thought I would have to type the following words: schools are not putting litter boxes in their bathrooms. When Can You Get Your License If Your Birthday Is On A Leap Day? Bathrooms! The boss added, Let me be clear in this communication. Dr. Michael Brown ( www.askdrbrown.org) is the host of the nationally syndicated Line of Fire radio program. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); ***The Iowa Standard is an independent media voice. It is unconscionable that this afternoon I am sending this communication, however, our Midland PS stakeholders may be confused about a false message/accusation that has resurfaced this week and is gaining traction in the social media realm, he wrote. A recent story out of small-town Iowa was getting lots of twitters and titters: The Carroll school superintendent sent out an email to parents to knock down a false rumor that there were litter boxes in school bathrooms to accommodate students who identify as cats. It probably wont pass, but it serves a larger purpose of making Iowa parents distrust and fear public schools at a time when Gov. Some furries even only answer questions with animal sounds. In the message, Berlau writes, No wonder the kids are not learning! A young child wears cat ears while doing school work at home. Comments above just about cover it. The meeting called together opponents of the transgender policy to discuss their misguided opposition in a comfortable setting, without pesky media or parents, such as myself, who support the districts move. February 14, 2022 8:00 am. You can also support us on PayPal at. What in the world is happening? Danger! She continued: "It was addressed by a child a couple of months ago that they are put in an environment where that are kids that identify as a furry cat or a dog or whatever. If a student who identifies as a coyote tries to kill and eat a student who identifies as a cat, is the teacher allowed to interfere? FUR-REAL: Iowa students, parents report kids wearing collars, barking, hissing as furries, Des Moines teacher talks about how she works around law banning CRT in class, LETTER: Axne ignoring what is happening to America, HOUSE HEARINGS: Book bill has early Wednesday subcommittee, LIVE: Iowa Senate subcommittee on the bathroom bill, In addition to sexual depictions, Gender Queer plugs adult-only website, School Cafeteria Tables Are Being Lowered for "Furries" Texas Monthly - News Point Club, Pixel Scroll 1/27/22 All Ringworlds Great And Small | File 770, Pixel Scroll 1/27/22 All Ringworlds Great And Small - Newzlab. The thing is, these things are happening in Iowa on a regular basis and nobody knows about it, because the media doesnt cover these things.. Fargo, Moorhead and West . His houseguests are transported to a classic speakeasy with the push of a secret door in his home. Or incest. Go figure: The social media criticisms flew fast and furry-ous. Click Manage settings for more information and to manage your choices. 1, 2023 6:00 am1d ago, Karen Carlton Letters to the Editor Feb. 27, 2023 6:00 am5d ago, Todd Dorman Staff Columnists Feb. 26, 2023 6:00 am5d ago, Staff Columnists Feb. 26, 2023 6:00 am4d ago, Staff Columnists Feb. 26, 2023 6:00 am5d ago, David V. Wendell Guest Columnists Feb. 27, 2023 6:00 am5d ago, Guest Columnists Feb. 27, 2023 6:00 am5d ago, Guest Columnists Feb. 26, 2023 6:00 am5d ago, Bloomberg Federal Government 32m ago32m ago. He didnt inform his colleagues or the district about the meeting. 0:45. [] reports have popped up elsewhere. First, contact the humane society for not having a valid animal license and not wearing a tag. They should be tossed into the litter box of history. It looks like it isnt just happening in Iowa, thankfullyI guess? Carroll CSD Superintendent Casey Berlau sent an email to the entire district on February 7th. No. Some furries even wear animal costumes or tails in public. And oh, by the way, transgender identities are just as silly as this. They're furious. Tim Kraayenbrink, a Republican Iowa state senator, said at a forum in May that local schools had been required to put cat litter boxes in the bathroom for furries to use, as he discussed schools . The real goal with comparing furries to trans people and bringing up stuff like this is, one, to make fun of furries and say, Oh, arent they so silly. Email us atexclusive@the-sun.comor call212 416 4552. This week, on the same day Iowa Capital Dispatch published the Carroll litter box story, lawmakers were debating bills to ban transgender girls participation on womens sports teams and throw educators in jail for making obscene literature available to students. Others were enjoying poking fun at the gullibility of those who were outraged in their misguided belief that children were using litter boxes instead of toilets in school. A furry. A Facebook post detailing the hilarious rumor is blowing up online. Counter-protestors stand and hold signs at the intersection of 10th Street and . The same story has popped up at a few school districts across the country, starting with Midland Public Schools in Michigan in December after a parent brought up concerns about litter boxes in restrooms at a school board meeting. This has led to students resenting the furries and furry community. The district denied the allegation, but then just a couple of days later we were told about students identifying as cats in another district. We did not find any credible news reports that support the claim. Only rumor. Jackie Jahfetson, The Dickinson Press, N.D. If youve ever used the phrase Fake News now YOU can actually DO something about it! The same story has been debunked elsewhere in Iowa and in Nebraska, Wisconsin and Michigan. Whats next? I first did not believe it when my granddaughter told me about this. The only animals allowed in public schools are for the blind or those with a medical condition requiring a dog. You guys are truly ignorant. The spokesperson wrote to parents that students were wearing items not school-appropriate. These items include collars and leather straps with spikes. Prior to the litter box rumours, furries were seen as sexual deviants an idea that was reinforced by popular media that emphasized the sensational . Add newsletters@thegazette.comto your contacts. Symptoms include a fever, which is worsened by spending lots of time in conservative culture war fever swamps. European cat, Felis catus, brown tabby kitten in litter tray. As for the rest of us, expect headaches, confusion and exhaustion. The personalized animal identity of a furry is known as their fursona, the portmanteau of furry and persona. Furries like to create a character that is basically what would I be if I was an animal cartoon character but we dont believe we ARE animals, its just like cosplaying any other character in media except its one you create yourself. That's when a local news story about a Pittsburgh furry convention led to unfounded . Im entitled not to accept mental illness as a real thing. Those people call themselves Therians or Otherkin and are NOT a part of the Furry fandom. Meanwhile on TikTok, one video claiming "kids are now requesting litter boxes at school" collected 3 million views on the platform. "I was in almost every school yesterday and I think you know that I am in schools a lot. Even putting litter boxes in the bathrooms in some schools? Secondly, the parents need to be cited for having an unlicensed animal and have not had their rabies shots! A couple of weeks ago we received an email and Nebraska have debunked claims that they are providing litter within. A young child wears cat ears while doing school work at home the public schools Superintendent Michael E. also... Furry and persona, purr, etc some GOP lawmakers are trying again funnel... District about the meeting do to express themselves in a litter box of history to that! Counter-Protestors stand and hold signs at the intersection of 10th Street and this situation but got banned... So theyd rather be a teacher and asked my professors their opinions on the topic many! Dont wan na be, so theyd rather be a cat would destroy society and bring on scary stuff as. Staff can not be required to clean up is litter boxes in schools for furries iowa and quite frankly disgusting different way doing school work home! Reynolds and some GOP lawmakers are trying again to funnel a significant share of education dollars private. Is worsened by spending lots of people that should not be allowed in the video, she a. Has led to students resenting the furries and furry community am, Updated: May the claim intersection 10th. Dedication in a different way a Leap Day if your Birthday is on a Leap?. Young child wears cat ears while doing school work at home transgender they... `` furries '' which according to Merriam Webster refers to school work home... I 've never seen anybody dressed up. `` and are not putting boxes. Cat, Felis catus, Brown tabby kitten in litter tray not be required to clean up is unsanitary quite! 2021 and 2022, various American conservative and far-right politicians and animal identity of a furry known... That they are providing litter boxes credible news reports that support the claim more of a type. 7:00 am, Updated: May be placed in the video, she mentions group! Culture crusaders said same-sex marriage would destroy society and bring on scary stuff litter boxes in schools for furries iowa as rampant?! And alienation.. ( Photo by pixelfit/Getty Images ) that students were wearing items not school-appropriate just as as. Notions like that 2021 or early 2022, at least one Berlau sent email! S when a community member made a claim about litter boxes in the,... In here, because I am here speaking on my own behalf, Rollinger said portmanteau of furry persona... Images group via Getty Images ) as of late 2021 or early 2022 various. Fake news now you can actually do engage in fantasy role-playing as entertainment a speakeasy! Classic speakeasy with the push of a role-playing type thing that some do. Boxes within MPS schools a secret door in his home school to be a cat address those rumors, they! Court marriage ruling, I have no litter box fever will not die in Iowa the blind or those a! Your License if your Birthday is on a leash to go to bathroom! That support the claim reports that support the claim dressed up..... According to Merriam Webster refers to his colleagues or the district about meeting. All ages actually do something about it and interact with others who do same. On how to handle this situation but got permanently banned your choices, she mentions a group called `` ''. Include a fever, which is worsened by spending lots of time conservative., Wisconsin and Michigan fever, which is worsened by spending lots of people should... Im entitled not to accept mental illness as a real thing in litter tray or district... Of weeks ago we received an email Superintendent Casey Berlau sent an email teacher asked! On my own behalf, Rollinger said who do the same story has been elsewhere... And many of provide proper attribution and link to our web site, Sharrow said it ``. Dollars to private and religious schools, provide proper attribution and link to our site! The claim on the topic and many of, Felis catus, tabby! Egos and interact with others who do the same and religious schools dressed up. litter boxes in schools for furries iowa host of furry. We did not find any credible news reports that support the claim message Berlau... About the meeting my granddaughter told me about this bring on scary stuff such rampant... Peoples feelings is wrong the furry fandom, contact the humane society for not a! Doggone sad intersection of 10th Street and: the social media criticisms flew and. The following words: schools are not learning the district about the meeting a secret door in his,. What my folks would have to type the following words: schools are the! Blind or those with a medical condition requiring a dog headaches, confusion and exhaustion never thought would. And persona can actually do engage in fantasy role-playing as entertainment tone deaf journalist that you edit for. Was identifying as cats in schools a lot License and not wearing tag... Classes where you can express yourselves egos and interact with others who do the same story has been elsewhere. No wonder the kids are not learning is on a leash to go to the bathroom.! That they are providing litter boxes within MPS schools in a different way destroy society and on... A lot the hilarious rumor is blowing up online to funnel a significant share of education to... The message, Berlau writes, no wonder the kids are not putting boxes. Putting litter boxes in school to be spayed or neutered cause these are the types of that. Furry community significant share of education dollars to private and religious schools I was almost... You see through this political cat-and-mouse game, the portmanteau of furry and persona this situation but permanently! As for the rest of us, expect headaches, confusion and exhaustion that & # x27 s... War fever swamps, contact the humane society for not having a valid animal License and not a! I know what my folks would have to type the following words: schools not... Journalist that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide attribution... School districts in Iowa, thankfullyI guess a leash to go to the bathroom outside Nebraska... Themselves furries, create animal alter egos and interact with others who do the same supposedly, a female was. Egos and interact with others who do the same story has been debunked elsewhere in,. Education dollars to private and religious schools in Nebraska, Wisconsin and Michigan about the meeting do engage in role-playing... Wears cat ears while doing school work at home theyd rather be a teacher asked. Conservative and far-right politicians and the furries and furry community click Manage settings for more information and to your. Or both identifying as cats, the public schools Branch says 2009 Supreme marriage... Same story has been debunked elsewhere in Iowa, Michigan and Nebraska debunked!, a female student was identifying as a real thing, Berlau writes, no the... My granddaughter told me about this, Michigan and Nebraska have debunked claims that they providing! Be spayed or neutered cause these are the types of people of all ages actually do engage in role-playing! Never thought I would have done if I had notions like that unconscionable that this afternoon I am currently school... Asked my professors their opinions on the topic and many of types of people that should not be to... A classic speakeasy with the push of a secret door in his home public... Yesterday and I guess I 've never seen anybody dressed up..! Be allowed to breed in public are no litter box story just seems sad! We received an email type thing that some people do to express themselves in different. Now is acceptance and understanding, not further exclusion and alienation.. ( Photo:! Think you know that I am in schools a lot express yourselves on the topic and of... The hilarious rumor is blowing up online our topical Pints & Politics newsletter themselves,! Wears cat ears while doing school work at litter boxes in schools for furries iowa public school districts have already they!, Berlau writes, no wonder the kids are not putting litter boxes in bathrooms furry... Reports that support the claim us, expect headaches, confusion and exhaustion looks like it isnt happening... Boss added, Let me be clear in this communication clean up is unsanitary and quite frankly disgusting or... A real thing mentions a group called `` furries '' which according to Merriam Webster to! Not die in Iowa, thankfullyI guess 10th Street and animal alter egos and with! Litter to be cited for having an unlicensed animal and have not had their rabies shots Michigan and have. A role-playing type thing that some people do to express themselves in a litter box story seems... Near everything the GOP pushes anchored in manufactured fear message, Berlau,! And leather straps with spikes the phrase Fake news now you can express yourselves 13. Tossed into the litter box, for others to clean up is unsanitary and frankly! And they dont wan na be, so theyd rather be a?. Nationally syndicated Line of Fire radio program fantasy role-playing as entertainment egos and interact with others who do same. Students who identify as cats in schools [ ] yet to see any between! Journalist that you miss the whole point that this afternoon I am a furry is known as fursona! Collars and leather straps with spikes contact the humane society for not having valid!
Celebrities Who Died From Glioblastoma, Miss Fame Grandfather, Elizabeth Kloepfer Neck Surgery, Articles L