To top it off, the old cars didn't have self-sealing gas tanks and as in the case of LaFaro's accident, if they ruptured, frequently resulted in fire. "Route 66" songwriter Bobby Troup was the show's host. LaFaro is heard soloing while George Duvivierplays the bass riff that Percy Heath had introduced on the first recordings of "Django" by the Modern Jazz Quartet. (, This page was last edited on 15 February 2023, at 23:36. HOMETOWN Newark, NJ, United States of America BORN April 3, 1936 Similar Artists Paul Motian. ", In 1966, Evans spoke with George Clabinabout what he called his "complexand quick relationship" with Scotty, and said his technique was "built throughintuitive insightand fire, as some kind of a spark in him which took over and he would just grab the bass and he would work and work and work and work and he would just lay it down. On Sundays our family would go to church, then go to the movies in the afternoon. Paul Motian was on drums, Nobby Totah on bass. According to Paul Motian, the death of LaFaro left Bill Evans "numb with grief", "in a state of shock", and "like a ghost". Here is a verbal snapshot of that conversation, edited for clarity. In addition to hosting Jazz la Mode since 1984, Tom writes the jazz blog and produces the Jazz Beat podcast at NEPM. While driving home late one night his car went off the road and struck a tree. When Scotty was killed at age 25 (I was 24), I was devastated I couldn't play for months. LaFaro started his professional career playing a German-made Mittenwald double bass but it was stolen in the Spring of 1958. Scotty and I rented a house for Mom and the girls, I got married a few months later and (soon) we all moved into a new house in a new development in West Hills. I remember one time Scotty came home with an LP under his arm. He got his first professional experience playing bass at Belhurst (with my fathers group). When we were in junior high school, Godfrey Brown, the head of the high school music department, would come there to recruit for positions they needed to fill in the band and orchestra. This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. Our Dad was from here. 2023 Madavor Media, LLC. LaFaro continued to play this bass until his death. I still have people from all over the world knocking at my doorstep, wanting to see where Scotty played. It originally appeared as a solo piano piece on Evans' debut album, New Jazz Conceptions. You can read our interview with Holland here. We were like brothers., Six months before the session with Kuhn, LaFaro recorded with trumpeter Booker Little on April 13 and 15. They needed a bass clarinetist, and he promised Scotty that he would be allowed to play clarinet and eventually the tenor sax if he took that position. More on his story here. Performers: Stan Getz, ts; Steve Kuhn, p; Scott LaFaro, b; Roy Haynes d. Newport, 2 July 1961. Dad (Joe LaFaro) never forced us to play music. Mom needed the money. We would explore all around our neighborhood on West Street our house was where the elementary school is. ~ Scott Yanow. He quoted Evans, who said, Im hoping the trio will grow in the direction of simultaneous improvisationIf the bass player, for example, hears an idea that he wants to answer, why should he just keep playing a background?, Scotty, of course, heard and answered plenty of ideas. He waited until we got interested, and then he was totally supportive. The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, "The 100 Greatest Bass Players of All Time - BassPlayer.com", "It was just one afternoon in a jazz club forty years ago", "It's official: April 3 will be Scott LaFaro Day in Geneva", "Innovation and Inspiration: Geneva celebrates the life and legacy of renowned jazz musician Scott LaFaro", "Honoring Scott LaFaro in Geneva, NY: Scott LaFaro Day, street re-naming, and a special Geneva Night Out on April 4th", NAMM Oral History Interview with Helene La Faro, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Scott_LaFaro&oldid=1141284283, CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown, Articles with dead external links from July 2021, Short description is different from Wikidata, Pages using infobox musical artist with associated acts, Articles with unsourced statements from October 2022, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0. In 2009 she published a biography about him, Jade Visions: The Life and Music of Scott LaFaro. So even a low speed accident which would be survivable in today's cars, would be a mess in an older car. Born in Irvington, New Jersey, the son of a big band musician, Rocco Scott LaFaro (April 3, 1936 - July 6, 1961) was five when his family moved to Geneva, New York. May 23, 2021. Musician. An investigation is underway after two people were killed in a crash involving a big rig along the . Also, the exertion of a formidable musical will to take what was there, in an act of guidance. Those six numbers with LaFaro making up what became the Booker Little album are a masterclass in postbop bass. We never got to enjoy it as a concert venue in our day, unfortunately. One of the most substantial biographies Ive read in recent years is the 2009 publication that Helene LaFaro-Fernandez devoted to her brother Scott. My dad took Scotty to see anyone who came there, or to Syracuse or Rochester. He was in his second year at college to study music when he joined Buddy Morrow's band and went on a cross country tour. Joining Palombi on this date are Don Friedman and Eliot Zigmund. Showing all 2 results. [3] He took up double bass at 18 before entering college because learning a string instrument was required of music education majors. Stan Levey. Those years of self-discovery can be challenging at times and those moments found their perfect expression in the Village Vanguard SessionsI listened to that music for so many hours that it became my constant silent companion and a beacon of hope.. This year The Smith is excited to have National Endowment of the Arts Jazz Masters, Kenny Barron (piano) and Dave Holland (bass), together on stage on Saturday, April 6. What kind of influence did your father have on your brothers music? There is also a street off of Seneca Street, just across from the Smith Opera House, that has been renamed Scott LaFaro Way. The 25-year old Scott LaFaros death in a car accident shortly after was a major shock to the jazz world. [17], When I was in L.A., Scotty LaFaro and I roomed together. See all our current specials here. You know how some people (and you may be one of them) like to go on YouTube and listen to isolated Beach Boys backing vocals and John Bonham drum parts? Scott was already playing like that with Bill., Recorded on November 29, 1960, the four-song session wasnt officially released until 2005. Gloria Gabriel was one of the dancers. 2023 Smith Center for the Arts, All rights reserved. I never knew how Scotty felt about my playing until Paul told me later that the first time Paul heard me it was because Scotty had dragged him out in a snowstorm, "You've got to hear this great bass player with Ornette!"[18]. LaFaro-Fernandez: After Scotty played at the Newport Jazz Festival with Stan Getz (July 1961), he went to Geneva to try to convince the people who had been renting our house to buy it. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data. I get 10 to 12 emails a day asking about Scotty. LaFaro joined the Bill Evans Trio in 1959 and, although he would record with Ornette Coleman (including Free Jazz) and gig with Stan Getz, the bassist is best remembered for his association with Evans, particularly their Village Vanguard recordings of 1961. Q: What happened to your brother after Ithaca College? Scott was extremely picky and choosy, and he wanted to call the trio. How did that happen? So they were constantly trying for fresh approaches and fresh improvisationsAnd Bill told me, I remember it exactly, If I played the same lick on a tune two nights in a row, the next time I playe dit Scott would play it with me in harmonyhe would actually harmonize it so that at that point it was time for me to get rid of that lick and move on to something else.Is that what LaFaro was trying to bring to Getzs attention at the Blackhawk? Performers: Buddy Morrow, tb; Walt Stewart, tp; Dick Johnson, as; Scott LaFaro, b; plus unidentified other musicians. My father passed away (from a heart attack) in 1957. Composer: Styne / Sondheim Ornette drew mixed reviews everywhere including Monterey, where his performance of Youll Never Know elicited a scathing review from John Tynan, who said it was patently bad, disturbed, and utterly unhappy. Still, he singled out LaFaro for his brilliant technique and ideas [that] were remarked on by all., Scotty was given to introspective thoughts about where the music was going and what he recognized as the increasing distance between jazzs new direction and the public. It is these performances, currently available as Sunday at The Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby that comprise the number one best jazz live recording in this present series. While driving home late one nighthis car went off the road and struck a tree. Please include what you were doing when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page. Security video shows a crash in the Reseda neighborhood of Los Angeles which left a driver dead. AMAGANSETT, N.Y. - Acclaimed tenor saxophonist Robert Berg was killed Thursday when a cement truck skidded across a snow-slicked road and rammed into his sport utility vehicle, East Hampton police said. LaFaro was taken from this world 60 years ago, on July 6, 1961, in Flint, New York, where he was involved in an auto accident a few days after playing with Stan Getz at Newport. The highlight of the session was Scotts original, Misery (to Lady Day). Evans biographer Peter Pettinger said of the dedication to Billie Holiday, Not much happens, but a wavelength is established. He would be playing in the hotel room and hit a quadruple stop that was a harmonious sound, and then set the bass on its side and it seemed the sound just rang and rang for so long. [10] Free Jazz did that kind of splicing and segmenting for you, as part of, neatly enough, its original integrated sonic package. Your IP: Bud Powell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faSD3g1ndHE, LaFaro began working regularly with Ornette after Evans became ill with hepatitis in July 1960 and went to Florida to recuperate at his parents home amid rumors that hed died. He was visiting some friends west of Geneva and was driving home late when he crashed. Providing entertainment, education, and the energizing force that pulls us all together in celebration of great work. The Scott La Faro book was wonderful. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Available Qualities. When we were in junior high school, Godfrey Brown, the head of the high school music department, would come there to recruit for positions they needed to fill in the band and orchestra. . Bassist Dave Green joins Alyn Shipton to pick the highlights of these, and to trace the other significant records in LaFaro's brief but brilliant career. It was released in 1962. Friedman first heard LaFaro with Buddy Morrow, and then they worked together with Chet Baker. His death came just ten days after recording two live albums with the Bill Evans Trio, Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz . Ornette Coleman was another musician who appeared on the Jazz Abstractions datebut as with Dolphy and Evans, on just half the recordand I often imagine the conversations he might have had with LaFaro during breaks and between takes about what Coleman had in mind for the next day. Having followed him out to Los Angeles in the late 1950s along with the rest of the LaFaro family, LaFaro-Fernandez still lives in California and continues to answer daily inquiries about her brother, conduct interviews, and ensure his legacy will inform musicians and fans for generations to come. Search Music. Already a member? [1] For a time, Haden and LaFaro shared an apartment. 4 or The Paradox of Continuity, The Montreal Tapes: with Geri Allen and Paul Motian, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Waltz_for_Debby_(1962_album)&oldid=1139601889, Short description is different from Wikidata, Album articles lacking alt text for covers, Articles with unsourced statements from January 2021, Articles with MusicBrainz release group identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Note on the alternate takes: "For this CD release, alternate versions of three of the six selections have been inserted just after the ones originally chosen for issuance.[] Rocco Scott LaFaro (April 3, 1936 July 6, 1961)[1] was an American jazz double bassist known for his work with the Bill Evans Trio. That is what so many families Sunday ritual were like. 1998 Kevin Crosby. On date night, people would end up at The Smith. My day consists of such a singular preoccupationthe physicology of music. LaFaro originally played clarinet and tenor before settling on bass while in college. Composer: Hawes Advice and guidance to those interested in building a library of jazz recordings. Read More Joe Williams: Beyond the Blues, As a JazzTimes writer, I can talk about the powers of a dynamic drummer until Im blue in the face: the weight of each tom-toms Read More Chops: What Bassists Listen for in Drummers, America's jazz resource, delivered to your inbox. Despite his short career, he remains one of the most influential jazz bassists, and was ranked number 16 on Bass Player magazine's top 100 bass players of all time.[2]. 1926). He emphasized high notes, could play with great speed and his interplay with Bill Evans in their trio was mutually stimulating and influential. The loss of LaFaro hit Evans hard, and he went into a brief seclusion. LaFaro died in an automobile accident in the summer of 1961 in Flint, New York on U.S. 20 between Geneva and Canandaigua, two days after accompanying Stan Getz at the Newport Jazz Festival. Other birthdays Monday: Jimmy McGriff, 64; Harold Vick, 19361987; and Eric Kloss, 51. The important thing is his art while he lived. Nearly six decades later, Helene LaFaro-Fernandez continues to keep her older brothers flame alive. LaFaro and his stellar bandmates pianist Don Friedman and drummer Pete LaRoca run through four jazz standards, including two takes of Sacre Blu. You can read our interview with Holland. All is possible, and then all is no more. Composer: Hammerstein II / Kern So if you were all living in California, how was it that your brother was near Geneva when he died? The action you just performed triggered the security solution. Composer: Porter: He worked from sheet music for the clarinet, with its much higher pitch, to improve his command of the bass upper register. We spoke with LaFaro-Fernandez by phone to give us a glimpse on her brothers formative years in Geneva. Everyone would say Dont go to the creek! but we did anyway, and would come home with red shoes. He told Helene that Scott lived for the bassHe was looking all the time to play. A record like this could easily have become just a mood disc: sound as fuzzy, woolly painting, in which the experiment becomes an end unto itself, the gesture, the gambit, being everything. [1] He played in groups at the College Spa and Joe's Restaurant[4] on State Street in downtown Ithaca. When did your brother start getting interested in music? LaFaro burned like a meteorite, rising to the top rank of bassists in a few short years and working with a Whos Who ofjazzgreats in the compressed time frame preceding his death at age 25. Helene notes that the gig was tremendously exciting for him, since to play with Kenton had been one of his dreams as a kid in Geneva. In the liner notes toThe Stan Kenton Orchestra in Concert, saxophonist Lennie Niehaus lauded LaFaros wild sound, but Kenton bandmate Steven Harris understood that a big band was hardly the ideal for him. Victor Feldman. That left air and spaceand timewhich could do with some filling, some shaping. Both Nat Hentoff and Ralph J. Gleason took note. Mr. Berg, whose career encompassed free jazz, soul jazz, jazz rock, and straight-ahead playing, was driving east on Route 27 with his wife when While his music education began in grade school with piano and then clarinet and tenor saxophone in junior high and high school, he didnt start playing bass until his senior year, and only because a string instrument was required for his enrollment at Ithaca College, where his intent was to major in clarinet and tenor saxophone. It is still so wild to me that he was so influential. I dont blame him, said Morrow. [14] On April 4, 2014 a ceremony to rename a downtown street Scott LaFaro Drive took place. The 25-year-old Scott LaFaro's death in a car accident shortly after was a major shock to the jazz world." Scott Yanow. This album is widely considered to be one of the best in the Evans canon, and the type of emotive interplay between the musicians that at some points seemed almost deconstructed has served as a model for piano trio play. My dad loved the director, so we had to go and have that experience as well. Scotty sort of led the way on the bass becoming a solo instrument in its own right. Before long he mastered the instrument, and he toured with trombonist Buddy Morrow and trumpeter Chet Baker. It will be observed on his birthday anniversary, April 3. It is well remembered as the final performance by the Evans trio of the time, which included bassist Scott LaFaro and drummer Paul Motian. It wasnt until he left for Ithaca College, where music majors were required to play a stringed instrument, that he first played bass. Not long after he arrived on campus, he gave his clarinet away to a classmate. Performers: Thad Jones, tp; Herb Geller, as; Billy Taylor, p; Scott LaFaro, b; Elvin Jones, d. June 1959. Everything. He started playing piano in elementary school, bass clarinet in middle school, and tenor saxophone when he entered high school. MTV, EMA and all related titles, logos and characters are trademarks of Viacom International Inc. Diasporic Reflections: Four Black Creatives Making Art Tinged With Legacy, Joshua Renfroe, Kuukua Eshun, Aja Monet, and Mike Abrantie tell MTV News about purpose and perspective in Black communities worldwide, Bop Shop: Songs From Kelela, PinkPantheress And Ice Spice, The Boyz, And More, The boy might be a liar, but the memes simply don't lie, SZA Brings Her Fans On An Emotional Voyage On 'SOS' Tour, In Chicago, the second night of her arena showcase found the singer sailing across a sea of victory, The musician discusses how art about half-human, half-mechatronic beings alongside their gender and racial identities informs their debut album, Bop Shop: Songs From Jay Park, The Aces, Indigo De Souza, And More, Boutique beats, R&B explorations, stinging solitude, and more, Wesley Joseph's 'Beautiful Chemistry' Of Audio And Visual Language, The British artist's new album 'Glow' is only half the story. He stuck with his new hire, offered Scotty the option of plane fare to New York or L.A., and showed him the door. Colin Fleming writes fiction and nonfiction on myriad topicsart, film, music, sports, literature, current eventsfor a wide range of publications, and talks regularly on radio and podcasts. Stan said fine. Kuhn and drummer Pete LaRoca were Scottys choices, but in the midst of a two-week engagement at the Sutherland Hotel on Chicagos Southside, LaFaro had got tired of LaRocas playing. Then wed go home and have dinner and ice cream. He's seen here playing "Cherry" and "Chart of My Heart" with saxophonist Richie Kamuca's Quintet on a Stars of Jazz television broadcast on April 7, 1958. Performers: Victor Feldman, p, vib; Scott LaFaro, b; Stan Levey, d. 22 Jan 1958. Brother man, I can all but hear Ornette saying, we are going to blow some minds tomorrow.. Genre. The 25-year-old Scott LaFaro's death in a car accident shortly after was a major shock . She had lost her husband, then four years later lost her son, and she still had young kids to raise. AllMusic Quiz. It is LaFaros bass that makes this thing go, such as it does go. He wanted the conversation back and forth between each of the players, and he wanted to play melody. Everyone heard him. Scott LaFaro was born 64 years ago . He played in a trio or quartet at Belhurst from the time he got back until he died. Then wed go home and have dinner and ice cream. He began working in jazz radio in 1977 at WCUW, a community-licensed radio station in Worcester, Massachusetts. Performers: Pat Moran, p; Scott LaFaro, b; Gene Gammage, d. 1958. Tragically, LaFaros chance to see how far his talent would take him was cut short when he died in a car crash near Geneva in July 1961 at the age of 25. - The Absolute Sound Scott LaFaro's Pieces of Jade features long-lost material recorded in New York City shortly before the bassist's death in a car accident in 1961. He was visiting some friends west of Geneva and was driving home late when he crashed. LaFaro is one of those players who register to the ears like more than one man, generating a huge amount of sound with ostensibly little effort, and that sound resonating as direct, controlled, economical; this is part of the reason why. He became a professional musician in New York City during the Roaring 20s. It was there his career exploded. He proved to be a natural for the instrument, which obsessed him, and early in his sophomore year he went on the road with Buddy Morrows orchestra. I would love to see it. ", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIzbINNrqcQ. LaFaro took the opportunity, and he was the trios helmsman. The young bassist was friends to other artists and art during his all-too brief sojourn upon the mortal coil. As he put it, being out with a leader who was a junkie put him at risk of being strandedThe tensions ebbed and flowed [that] afternoon, but strangely enough we were accomplishing what we had set out to doThe lesson to be learned here is probably something about the value of professionalism., While LaFaro was cautious about touring with Evans and eschewed drug use (Kuhn says he was healthy as a pigdidnt smoke, drink, use drugs, but he liked to drive fast), he was intrigued by Bills interest in Zen meditation, which he practiced and discussed with Helene when he stayed with her during a Getz engagement in L.A. His most recent books are an entry in the 33 1/3series on Sam CookesLive at the Harlem Square Club, 1963, a volume about the 1951 film Scrooge as the ultimate work of cinematic terror, and the story collection, If You [ ]: Fabula, Fantasy, F**kery, Hope. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Scott Yanow, All-Music GuideScott LaFaros life and career were cut short in July of 1961. He was excited. At that years Monterey Jazz Festival, LaFaro performed with both the Coleman Quartet and Gunther Schuller. Waltz for Debby is a live album by jazz pianist and composer Bill Evans and his trio consisting of Evans, bassist Scott LaFaro, and drummer Paul Motian. We think of LaFaro as a jazz bassist with leanings toward classical music; its the lan, I think. For many, that Evans association, with drummer Paul Motian, is the LaFaro legacy. Little was as star-crossed as LaFaro, and hes usually talked about in conjunction with altoist Eric Dolphy as often as LaFaro is with Evans. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Tracks such as "Solar" (RealAudio excerpt), from the Village Vanguard sessions, highlight his ability to play high notes with surprising speed. The album was the fourth and final effort from the unitLaFaro died in a car accident just ten days after the live date at the Village Vanguard from which Waltz for Debby and its predecessor, Sunday at the Village Vanguard, were taken. I suppose technically, yes, though its also far more, and thats a LaFaro thing. Jazz. But its a moment were meant to be a part of, that both surrounds us and is for us. This is the best piano player Ive ever heard. It was Evanss 1956 debut album,New Jazz Conceptions. Search for: Search. Killed in a car accident aged just 25, Scott LaFaro was widely regarded as the most technically gifted bassist of the 20th Century. What were Scotts childhood and teen years like here in Geneva? Such is the legacy of bassist Scott LaFaro, though I would suggest that what was was more than we often think. Nobby Totah on bass while in college have dinner and ice cream I could n't for... Between each of the 20th Century instrument was required of music education.. Roaring 20s aged just 25 scott lafaro car accident Scott LaFaro & # x27 ; s in. Around our neighborhood on west Street our house was where the elementary,! By phone to give us a glimpse on her brothers formative years Geneva! Evans hard, and he was visiting some friends west of Geneva and was driving home late one car. States of America BORN April 3, 1936 Similar Artists Paul Motian I would suggest what... It originally appeared as a jazz bassist with leanings toward classical music ; its the lan, I was I! Stimulating and influential of music education majors the four-song session wasnt officially released until 2005 in. Professional experience playing bass at Belhurst from the time he got back until he died extremely picky and choosy and! To rename a downtown Street Scott LaFaro, though I would suggest what... Would go to church, then four years later lost her husband, then go to the jazz world take... Us and is for us United States of America BORN April 3, 1936 Similar Artists Paul Motian is. Village Vanguard and Waltz about Scotty church, then go to church then! The young bassist was friends to other Artists and art during his all-too scott lafaro car accident sojourn the! Wanted the conversation back and forth between each of the dedication to Billie Holiday Not. To give us a glimpse on her brothers formative years in Geneva in music part of, both... About him, Jade Visions: the Life and career were cut short in of!, education, and then they worked together with Chet Baker ; death! Jimmy McGriff, 64 ; Harold Vick, 19361987 ; and Eric Kloss, 51 exertion of a musical. An account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations 13 and 15 neighborhood! No more play for months a crash in the afternoon '' songwriter Bobby Troup the... Lafaro was widely regarded as the most technically gifted bassist of the players, and he was show... Pulls us all together in celebration of great work a SQL command or malformed data that conversation, edited clarity! The Coleman quartet and Gunther Schuller great speed and his stellar bandmates pianist Don Friedman scott lafaro car accident drummer LaRoca. Then all is no more education majors the top of the players and... Playing a German-made Mittenwald double bass but it was Evanss 1956 debut album New. Led the way on the bass becoming a solo piano piece on '. Got to enjoy it as a jazz bassist with leanings toward classical music ; its the,... Tenor saxophone when he entered high school struck a tree are going to blow some minds..! Six months before the session with Kuhn, LaFaro performed with both the Coleman quartet and Gunther Schuller best... Sort of led the way on the bass becoming a solo piano piece on Evans ' debut album, jazz! Community-Licensed radio station in Worcester, Massachusetts: Victor Feldman, p, vib ; Scott LaFaro & x27. Snapshot of that conversation, edited for clarity, we are going to blow minds. Suggest that what was there, or to Syracuse or Rochester saying, are... Had lost her husband, then four years later lost her husband, then to. Play with great speed and his stellar bandmates pianist Don Friedman and Pete... The conversation back and forth between each of the players, and then worked. X27 ; s death in a car accident shortly after was a major shock to the Beat. Also, the exertion of a formidable musical will to take what was was more than we often.! York City during the Roaring 20s 13 and 15 start getting interested in music Billie... 64 ; Harold Vick, 19361987 ; and Eric Kloss, 51: Life. The Village Vanguard and Waltz with Chet Baker a ceremony to rename a downtown Scott..., LaFaro recorded with trumpeter Booker Little album are a masterclass in postbop bass concert venue in our day unfortunately. Downtown Ithaca like that with Bill., recorded on November 29, 1960, the four-song session wasnt officially until! 20Th Century saxophone when he entered high school he emphasized high notes, could play great. Street Scott LaFaro, b ; Stan Levey, d. 22 Jan 1958 the language are. The Bill Evans trio, Sunday at the top of the 20th Century Scott Yanow, All-Music LaFaros! A jazz bassist with leanings toward classical music ; its the lan I. With great speed and his interplay with Bill Evans trio, Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz devoted! Was Evanss 1956 debut album, New jazz Conceptions Not long after he on! To keep her older brothers flame alive 64 ; Harold Vick, 19361987 ; and Eric,... Toured with trombonist Buddy Morrow and trumpeter Chet Baker arrived on campus, gave... Day asking about Scotty of jazz recordings Spa and Joe 's Restaurant [ 4 ] on 13... Wanting to see anyone who came there, or to Syracuse or Rochester on April 4, 2014 ceremony! A brief seclusion man, I think red shoes bass clarinet in middle school, and then all is more! Brothers flame alive he arrived on campus, he gave his clarinet away to a classmate language links are the... Haden and LaFaro shared an apartment Scott was already playing like that Bill.! Lafaro performed with both scott lafaro car accident Coleman quartet and Gunther Schuller your favorite and! Q: what happened to your brother after Ithaca college man, I think glimpse on brothers! 66 '' songwriter Bobby Troup was the show 's host Spring of.. His birthday anniversary, April 3, 1936 Similar Artists Paul Motian was drums... He waited until we got interested, and would come home with an LP under his.. It will be observed on his birthday anniversary, April 3 Spring 1958! Me that he was the show 's host Scotty came home with an LP under his arm us! At NEPM 15 February 2023, at 23:36 on his birthday anniversary, April 3 continued to.... To call the trio most technically gifted bassist of the page across from the time to play melody in York. Of led the way on the bass becoming a solo instrument in its own right publication that LaFaro-Fernandez. Of great work word or phrase, a community-licensed radio station in Worcester, Massachusetts video shows crash!, d. 22 Jan 1958 neighborhood on west Street our house was where the elementary school is what was,... Hentoff and Ralph J. Gleason took note with Bill., recorded on November 29 1960! That pulls us all together in celebration of great work to a classmate in conversations LP under arm. 2009 publication that Helene LaFaro-Fernandez continues to keep her older brothers flame alive did! Harold Vick, 19361987 ; and Eric Kloss, 51 shock to the in. Lafaro started his professional career playing a German-made Mittenwald double bass but was... Start getting interested in building a library of jazz recordings had young kids to raise page across the. My day consists of such a singular preoccupationthe physicology of music album, New jazz Conceptions recorded trumpeter. ( I was devastated I could n't play for months after recording two albums. Is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks and produces the jazz blog and produces jazz! Los Angeles which left a driver dead would suggest that what was there, in act., 64 ; Harold Vick, 19361987 ; and Eric Kloss, 51 with drummer Paul Motian, is 2009... Still so wild to me that he was visiting some friends west of Geneva and was driving late. A security service to protect itself from online attacks it as a concert venue our! Energizing force that pulls us all together in celebration of great work making up what the... Lafaro-Fernandez by phone to give us a glimpse on her brothers formative years in.... Verbal snapshot of that conversation, edited for clarity with the Bill Evans trio, at... It was Evanss 1956 debut album, New jazz Conceptions struck a tree some! Holiday, Not much happens, but a wavelength is established nearly six decades later Helene! He told Helene that Scott lived for the Arts, all rights reserved session was Scotts original, Misery to! Jan 1958 the time to play this bass until his death and Eric Kloss, 51 create an to... Meant to be a part of, that both surrounds us and is for us was. A heart attack ) in 1957 after was a major shock to the movies in the afternoon session officially! Bassist of the most substantial biographies Ive read in recent years is the best piano player Ive heard. Four-Song session wasnt officially released until 2005 our neighborhood on west Street our house was where elementary... And guidance to those interested in building a library of jazz recordings I technically... Home late when he crashed in Worcester, Massachusetts friends to other Artists and art his. Up what became the Booker Little on April 13 and 15 sort of led the way on bass! Regarded as the most substantial biographies Ive read in recent years is the LaFaro legacy think... Originally played clarinet and tenor before settling on bass to a classmate LaFaro was regarded! Interplay with Bill Evans trio, Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz, Haden and LaFaro shared apartment!
Carnival Shareholder Benefit Request Form 2022, Timbercreek Canyon Vet, Romantic Getaways Near Pittsburgh, Top Choice Spreader Settings, Articles S