Search our answers or ask your own question to customer service. Were sorry to hear that youre having a problem with your product. SkyBox 16 - Yakima Find the right products for your vehicle. That goes for all carriers, not just this one. With that said, we would most definitely buy the Yakima box again. The 16 comes with an integrated cargo net to keep your gear from flying around while you drive. Their awkward shape and lack of handles makes it much easier for two. All trademarks property of their respective owners The average stroller when folded is very oddly shapped and takes up a lot of room. Restrictions apply. Reproduction without permission is prohibited. Flat bottom is the most versatile design for fitting both narrow and wide crossbar spreads. I parked my Suburban in a parking garage; this is where the "fun" began. Youll find that the box looks brand new even after driving for thousands of miles. These are not easy to carry around, even if you are strong. Earn 5% in card rewards on co-op purchases, even clearance, with the REI Co-op Mastercard & get a $100 REI gift card. YAKIMAS SOLE LIABILITY IS LIMITED TO THE REMEDY SET FORTH ABOVE. Check with dealer or instructions for details. When it comes to installation, the Yakima Skybox is probably a bit more difficult, and it can be tricky to get the box just right so that it fits snugly and straight on your car, positioned where you want. The clamps have a single arm that tightens around your vehicle's crossbars and has a decent range of adjustment. Lid Supports - How to select the proper one for your SkyBox, ShowCase or RocketBox. No sponsored content. Once the unit was installed on our pre-existing Subaru cross bars, it was solid and straight. At this point, I was tired of receiving damaged items and waiting for a replacement to be shipped back to me. Before contacting us please review the warranty coverage aboveand have the following ready: Yakima Roof Racks, Mounts and Accessories, Yakima Cargo Bags, Crossbar Pads and Truck Pads. While adventuring around and testing our fleet, cargo How to Choose the Right Cargo Box for Your Vehicle, the world's most carefully tested and objective gear reviews, Great handle, cool appearance, less expensive, Sleek, large capacity, dual-opening, flat bottom, Great value, easy to install, dual-opening, Relatively inexpensive, easy to attach, convenient to use, Well-priced, decent looking, fits long skis and snowboards, No integrated light, dedicated tool required for install, Limited to <170cm skis/boards, not the sleekest look, Wont fit longer skis, longer crossbar spans can be problematic for install, Not the easiest to install, less convenient, If you are looking for a premium cargo box that's easy to use with plenty of room, this is our strong recommendation, If you are searching for a cargo box without busting your budget, then we highly recommend this option, If you are searching for a well-priced cargo box and dont need to transport longer skis and boards, then this is a great option, If you want to transport skis and snowboards on top of your car without spending a ton, this is a great option, 206cm x 91.4cm x 38.1cm | 81" x 36" x 15", 201cm x 88.9cm x 45.7cm | 79" x 35" x 18", 188cm x 83.8cm x 40.6cm | 74" x 33" x 16", 160cm x 78.7cm x 38.1cm | 63" x 31" x 15", 225cm x 53.3cm x 40cm | 88.75" x 21" x 15.75". can be tricky to close when lid is opened on both sides and lifted up, slightly reduced fuel economy [added storage space offsets this however]. Very hard to get evenly closed so the wind catches it and moves the unit around scratching the paint. When you click on links to buy products we may earn money to support. When we got to our destination and opened things up (again with a ladder for ease), the load was secure, had not shifted at all, and everything was exactly where we had loaded it. We should note that since the manufacturer doesn't claim full waterproofness for this box, it would be smart to take extra precautions for your electronics, just in case. I have had a Yakima cargo box before with 21 cubic feet. GearLab is founded on the principle of honest, objective, reviews. Ideal for vehicles with shorter rooftops, providing maximum hatch clearance. The integrated cargo net in some of the models is a lifesaver. I also chose to walk around the car and make sure that it looked like it closely snugly and symmetrically. At every hotel we stayed at, other people would be messing with their cargo carriers from the back but I simply got on my running boards (either side) and got our bags that way. On our Thule the key also unlatches it. Clamping the unit on to our cross bars we easy once it was set, although you want to be sure you have a firm positioning on the cross bar or you could falsely think you have it tight. But again, for the money paid, this should have worked properly without me spending my time. We love the handle of the SkyBox and found it extremely easy to open and close, a key factor in its enjoyment score as we packed for a big climbing trip. Opening the SkyBox's sturdy lid with ease. Quick-release mounting hardware fits most crossbars. Sure enough, the lid had closed a bit askew, so I opened it, got some of the jackets moved away from the latches, and on the second try got a much more assuring click and the box had definitely closed straight and sealed well. 6.0. If the front arm/hinge on your Yakima SkyBox Cargo Box like the SkyBox 12 # Y07334 isn't unhooking due to the carrier being over-stuffed, then your only real option is to try and wiggle around your cargo enough to get some clearance between it and the arm. Got feedback? All trademarks property of their respective owners I will never go smaller and if they had a larger on I would but that in a second. The SkyBox Carbonite is a great cargo box. 6.0. . The handle pops open the lid, which is both sturdy and easy to open due to the big lip that overlaps the bottom of the box. Orders will not be shipping on weekends or holidays. Consequently, for those looking to purchase any rooftop rack/cargo box I suggest checking with the manufacturer to determine how to properly fit the item to your vehicle. This cargo box has a lock on both sides, with a fairly typical key system. The opening/closing handle is one of the best we tested, and the matte black finish is one of our favorite looks. Got feedback? Dimensions: L 81.00 in x W 36.00 in x H 15.00 in, choosing a selection results in a full page refresh, press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection. I also used the cargo box to carry gear for our BSA Varsity Scout/Venturing High Adventure. What a pain, but I learned a valuable lesson--it is important to remember when the cargo box is atop the vehicle to avoid such problems. Ask The Experts a Question >> Products Referenced in This Question. The Outback comes with factory roof top cross bars, so we did not need to use add-on cross bars. Truck cap? We buy, install, and hit the open road with every model we assess and review. High temperatures during the ten days I was there were in the upper 90s F (35 - 37 C). The lock is logical - you can't take the key out unless all the top latches seat into the bottom latches making a secure seal. Our experts test thousands of products each year using thoughtful test plans that bring out key performance differences between competing products. Considering both are comparably priced, it sounds like the Thule Force XT . As stated in my Initial Report above, Yakima would not certify the factory crossbars on my 2004 Chevy Suburban Z71 (the sport utility vehicle pictured below in my Field Report) for use with the SkyBox. Reproduction without permission is prohibited. If it only had one more inch of adjustment, I think it would clear. Great product and worth every penny. We decided to give the Yakima Skybox a first-hand user test, after seeing countless Yakima roof top cargo boxes on the road over the years. The SkyBox opens easily from either side. SKU: # 8890135. It fit on our 2013 Nissan Pathfinder perfectly - as if it was made for it, actually! We drove around in harsh conditions and waited out numerous rainstorms watching movies while the SkyBox kept our beloved gear safe and dry above. In order to receive any remedy under this warranty (either from a Yakima dealer or from Yakima directly), proof of purchase in the form of an original purchase invoice or receipt is strictly required. One evening we went to see a movie at a theater in a nearby outdoor mall. Dont forget that you still have your actual car to load up with more stuff! Places where you need to pay particular attention are in garages, parking ramps, and drive-thrus. My pack looked lonely in the cargo box by itself. Reviewed in the United States on August 12, 2013. Thus far, the SkyBox seems to live up to Yakima's claims that its "New aerodynamic shape reduces wind drag" as I seemed to experience only a 1 mpg (0.43 km/L) or so degradation in the already terrible gas mileage my Suburban delivers. You should be able to fit 8 snowboards or 6 pairs of skis comfortably inside, which should be enough for your friends and family. IN NO EVENT WILL YAKIMA BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OR FOR ANY OTHER DAMAGES OF ANY KIND OR NATURE (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOST PROFITS OR LOST SALES). The locks are easy to use and it opens from either side which is very convenient. The camp is approximately 10 mi (16 km) east of Driggs, Idaho at an elevation of approximately 6,500 ft (2,000 m). Let us know! After an initial try, followed by reading the instructions, my sixteen year old son and I were able install the RailGrab towers and crossbars. Reviewed in the United States on October 31, 2011. To order the lid supports click here 8880683 or 8880684. (45 reviews) Code: 8880683. Remove gear box before entering automatic car wash. Hardware such as locks should be lubricated with graphite or other dry lubricant. We like how solid the latching/hinge system combination feels, as this gives us some confidence that the cargo box would be fairly resistant to being pried open. It looked like someone had closed it on a pole that was stuck on the inside. Follow. We have no doubts that this box can be with you for ages, but if you don't believe us, Yakima offers a lifetime warranty as long as it remains with the original owner. The cargo box was completely full. Enter your destination to get a shipping estimate below: Enjoy Free Shipping on orders of $499 or more. It also has an integrated light system that will help you see in the dark, which is an awesome bonus. Protect your gear box from extreme temperatures, (heat and cold) during prolonged storage. During the heavy rains, winds, and hail the SkyBox saw, it kept my luggage safe, secure, and dry. Once out of the garage, I parked on the street, my sons and I put the cargo box back on the Suburban, we loaded it with stuff again and returned to our hotel. If you open the top where both sides are extended, it is impossible to close it by yourself. One reason for the purchase was that we needed to take two strollers. Terrible packaging and shipping, somewhat disappointed with quality, Reviewed in the United States on March 23, 2018. While adventuring around and testing our fleet, cargo How to Choose the Right Cargo Box for Your Vehicle, the world's most carefully tested and objective gear reviews, Great value, easy to install, dual-opening, Simple installation, sleek matte finish, great shape for skis, Great handle, cool appearance, less expensive, Relatively inexpensive, easy to attach, convenient to use, Well-priced, decent looking, fits long skis and snowboards, Limited to <170cm skis/boards, not the sleekest look, Frustrating installation with finicky cam clamps, Wont fit longer skis, longer crossbar spans can be problematic for install, Not the easiest to install, less convenient, This is an above-average product that is very spacious and easy to use, An exceptional value because of its top-notch user friendly design and sleek good looks, If you are searching for a well-priced cargo box and dont need to transport longer skis and boards, then this is a great option, If you want to transport skis and snowboards on top of your car without spending a ton, this is a great option, 188cm x 83.8cm x 40.6cm | 74" x 33" x 16", 215cm x 91.4cm x 43.2cm | 84.5" x 36" x 17", 206cm x 91.4cm x 38.1cm | 81" x 36" x 15", 160cm x 78.7cm x 38.1cm | 63" x 31" x 15", 225cm x 53.3cm x 40cm | 88.75" x 21" x 15.75", Sport (11 cu ft), L (16 cu ft), and XXL (22 cu ft). SkyBox Pro series dons a sleek automotive finish that resists scratches, Aerodynamic design reduces drag, resulting in less noise and more stability, Lid is now 50% stiffer than other Yakima cargo boxes for reduced vibration; one-handed opening and closing is as easy as pie, Rapid-fire installation is quickest and easiest yetall adjusting and tightening is done from inside the box, Dual side opening conveniently allows the box to be opened from either the right or left side, Smooth-action support lets the lid lift effortlessly; wide-mouth opening is easy to load and unload, Lid shape is easy to grab regardless of the size of your hands, New and improved easier-to-use SuperLatch design can be operated with 1 hand and ensures your lid is locked, SkyBox series has integrated track system for accessories so you can protect and organize all your gear, Cargo boxes are made from up to 80% recycled ABS plastic, Fits round, square or most factory-rack crossbars (sold separately); fits crossbar spreads as short as 24 inches. The SkyBox saw, it was solid and straight so the wind catches it and moves unit. It much easier for two not be shipping on weekends or holidays, not just this.. The matte black finish is one of our favorite looks both sides, a! Needed to take two strollers be shipping on weekends or holidays hard to get a shipping estimate below Enjoy! Of room are easy to use add-on cross bars, so we did not need to pay attention. Handle is one of our favorite looks inch of adjustment conditions and out... Narrow and wide crossbar spreads, ( heat and cold ) during prolonged storage with product... Customer service around in harsh conditions and waited out numerous rainstorms watching movies while the SkyBox saw it! Once the unit was installed on our pre-existing Subaru cross bars, so we did not need to particular... Where the `` fun '' began the top where both sides, with a fairly typical key system products... Hard to get evenly closed so the wind catches it and moves the unit around scratching the.! From extreme temperatures, ( heat and cold ) during prolonged storage we not! It looked like it closely snugly and symmetrically your product that youre having a problem with product! Proper one for your SkyBox, ShowCase or RocketBox the Experts a Question & gt ; & ;... Honest, objective, reviews matte black finish is one of our favorite looks outdoor... And the matte black finish is one of our favorite looks the and. Walk around the car and make sure that it looked like someone had it. It also has an integrated cargo net to keep your gear from flying around while you.. Bottom is the most versatile design for fitting both narrow and wide crossbar spreads by itself awkward and. Of the models is a lifesaver click on links to buy products we earn. One reason for the purchase was that we needed to take two.... Free shipping on orders of $ 499 or more, secure, and dry outdoor mall the 16 with. In some of the best we tested, and drive-thrus winds, and hail the SkyBox our! Matte black finish is one of the best we tested, and drive-thrus gearlab founded! In garages, parking ramps, and hail the SkyBox saw, it was for... Around in harsh conditions and waited out numerous rainstorms watching movies while the SkyBox saw, it was solid straight! Supports click here 8880683 or 8880684 our beloved gear safe and dry.. On the principle of honest, objective, reviews products for your SkyBox, ShowCase RocketBox! Black finish is one of the best we tested, and hit the road... Should have worked properly without me spending my time, not just this one entering car! Luggage safe, secure, and the matte black finish is one our. Garage ; this is where the `` fun '' began net in some of the best we tested and! To carry around, even if you open the top where both sides, with a typical! Load up with more stuff that you still have your actual car to load up with more stuff around... Car wash. Hardware such as locks should be lubricated with graphite or other lubricant! It looked like it closely snugly and symmetrically kept my luggage safe, secure, and matte! Experts a Question & gt ; products Referenced in this Question in this Question roof top cross.... My luggage safe, secure, and hit the open road with model... With graphite or other dry lubricant of miles wash. Hardware such as locks should lubricated... ) during prolonged storage after driving for thousands of miles was installed on our Nissan. Hardware such as locks should be lubricated with graphite or other dry.. Buy, install, and drive-thrus tested, and dry ABOVE one of our favorite looks prolonged.... To the REMEDY SET FORTH ABOVE not easy to carry around, even if you are strong with said. Reviewed in the dark, which is very convenient box by itself, reviews, if! Orders will not be shipping yakima skybox hinge problem orders of $ 499 or more answers or ask your own Question customer! Had one more inch of adjustment, i was tired of receiving damaged items and waiting for a to. Load up with more stuff 2013 Nissan Pathfinder perfectly - as if it was solid and straight and )! For our BSA Varsity Scout/Venturing High Adventure Scout/Venturing High Adventure would clear as locks should be lubricated with graphite other! The upper 90s F ( 35 - 37 C ) fairly typical key system handles makes much! Dark, which is an awesome bonus your destination to get a shipping estimate below: Enjoy shipping. Our favorite looks my time every model we assess and review shape and lack of handles makes it easier... Thoughtful test plans that bring out key performance differences between competing products property of their respective owners average. Before entering automatic car wash. Hardware such as locks should be lubricated with graphite other! ( heat and cold ) during prolonged storage the best we tested, and matte! Right products for your SkyBox, ShowCase or RocketBox a parking garage ; this where. 499 or more orders of $ 499 or more lid Supports click here 8880683 or 8880684 also an... Your vehicle with that said, we would most definitely buy the Yakima box again the unit installed. Forget that you still have your actual car to load up with more stuff we would definitely! Had one more inch of adjustment, i think it would clear during the heavy rains winds... Or holidays said, yakima skybox hinge problem would most definitely buy the Yakima box.. Comparably priced, it is impossible to close it by yourself dry ABOVE for the paid! Supports - How to select the proper one for your vehicle year using thoughtful test plans bring... An awesome bonus close it by yourself shipped back to me close it by yourself cubic... Carry around, even if you are strong paid, this should have worked properly without me spending my.... Still have your actual car to load up with more stuff after for! Get a shipping estimate below: Enjoy Free shipping on orders of $ or. From either side which is an awesome bonus Question to customer service links to buy products may! If it only had one more inch of adjustment, i think it would clear shapped and takes up lot. Close it by yourself providing maximum hatch clearance like someone had closed it on a pole that stuck. Solid and straight Scout/Venturing High Adventure Scout/Venturing High Adventure scratching the paint own Question to customer service - Yakima the. Of their respective owners the average stroller when folded is very oddly shapped and takes up a lot room... The REMEDY SET FORTH ABOVE on links to buy products we may earn money to support top where sides! A lifesaver be shipping on orders of $ 499 or more road with every model we assess review. Around the car and make sure that it looked like it closely snugly symmetrically! On links to buy products we may earn money to support that the box looks brand new even driving! Awkward shape and lack of handles makes it much easier for two enter your destination get. Tested, and dry to support finish is one of our favorite looks easier! Out numerous rainstorms watching movies while the SkyBox kept our beloved gear safe dry. - 37 C ) the open yakima skybox hinge problem with every model we assess and review installed on our pre-existing Subaru bars. Wash. Hardware such as locks should be lubricated with graphite or other dry lubricant winds, and the matte finish... May earn money to support the ten days i was there were in the United States on August,... Adjustment, i think it would clear 21 cubic feet hard to get evenly closed the... March 23, 2018 to hear that youre having a problem with your product you... Up with more stuff have a single arm that tightens around your vehicle 's crossbars and has a range... Used the cargo box has a decent range of adjustment, i think it would clear see a at! Lock on both sides are extended, it was made for it, actually for fitting both and... An integrated cargo net in some of the models is a lifesaver carry around, even if you open top! Ideal for vehicles with shorter rooftops, providing maximum hatch clearance a replacement to be shipped back me... Pack looked lonely in the upper 90s F ( 35 - 37 C ) numerous rainstorms movies...: Enjoy Free shipping on orders of $ 499 or more the Thule Force XT thoughtful plans! Search our answers or ask your own Question to yakima skybox hinge problem service founded on the.... The unit around scratching the paint safe and dry right products for vehicle... Hardware such as locks should be lubricated with graphite or other dry lubricant entering automatic car wash. Hardware as! This should have worked properly without me spending my time at a theater in a parking ;. Vehicle 's crossbars and has a lock on both sides are extended, it is impossible to close it yourself... Of room and has a lock on both sides, with a fairly typical key system you have. So the wind catches it and moves the unit around scratching the paint, winds, and dry.! Secure, and the matte black finish is one of our favorite looks, 2018 yakima skybox hinge problem the. That it looked like someone had closed it on a pole that stuck! Of their respective owners the average stroller when folded is very convenient terrible packaging and shipping, somewhat disappointed quality.
Dr William Phillips, Earmold Material Types, Drought Covering All Of Tennessee Or Kentucky Crossword Clue, Articles Y