Refreshment Total street cred on your behalf, I reckon! I cant be bothered to go out today. John Smith: dumb one day, stupid the next. You bewdy!; may be called out when something good happens. That blokes a bit strange; hes a few sandwiches short of a picnic. awkward as a Chow on a bike = Acting in an awkward manner; from a negative reference to a Chinese person on a bike. Committed to fostering the Australian spirit all year round. Click Go the Shears [traditional Australian song, 1890s] magpie = A hoarder; someone who is attracted to shiny things, who wants to take them home. Ah yeah, TJ lives out woop woop, doesnt he?. Anglos = Those of British ethnic descent. billy lid = Rhyming slang for kid (child). Very early in the morning - just before dawn, Insult and complain without taking a breath. Cool, really good, awesome. See: IAC list on Trove. Another way of saying too right?. The first (and most important) meal of the day. It is then spun around and whoever it lands on has to have a drink, pouring it straight from the clothesline into their mouth. booze artist = Someone who drinks a lot of alcoholic drinks, especially beer. We believe in a fair go around here; also used as a form of protest, e.g. Rommels comments on Australian soldiers [1941-1942] he build the shed, but its a bit of a bodgy job; similar to the term dodgy, and possibly related to the term botched (to carry out a task badly, or carelessly; to botch up a job). Example: I want to explore the naked outback, but locals said its unsafe. Chuck a wobbly - Lose your temper. Can also be spelt as cooee. bolshie = Someone who is perceived as being very left-wing; an abbreviation from the Russian Bolsheviks (communists), e.g. Please note that some of the slang words or phrases herein may be regarded as offensive, whether thought of as swearing, sexist, or racist. Aussie is the best country in the world, Holden is an Aussie car. bathers a.k.a. choof off = To depart, usually (but not always) said in a friendly manner, e.g. That was a bit of a rort.. Like, point Percy at the porcelain? (Barry McKenzie, played by Barry Crocker, in the 1972 movie The Adventures of Barry McKenzie). Significant events and commemorative dates Example: Dont forget to go to the store in the arvo. A dying breed of Australian, who is easy-going and fun-loving, whilst being a bit cheeky. Example: There are plenty of mozzies and I forgot to pack an insect repellent, so I think this trip is a bad mistake. Thank you for pointing that out. Means an older woman that isn't very nice. Example: Can we bring a slab to the fish and chip shops were heading to? 125 Common Australian Slang Words, Terms and Phrases 1. Mozzie: mosquito. Example: Gday mate! barney = To have a big disagreement, or a fight, e.g. This Australian slang word for a bottle shop is mostly used by younger people. Im spewin.. However, it should be noted that give it a burl, Shirl is a later variation (rather than a correction), as the phrase give it a burl dates back to at least 1911, as can be seen in the following list: https://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=132373, Its quite possible that the Shirl variation is connected with Shirley Strachan. Jesus H. Christ! he did him over. Drop Bear, Scientific name: Thylarctos plummetus, Cant bear em: how GPS is helping to track drop bears, Advance Australia Fair: How the song became the Australian national anthem, Under the Southern Cross I Stand [the Australian cricket teams victory song], Unveiling of the monument to Henry Kendall [27 November 1886], A poets mother Louisa Lawson [The Bulletin, 24 October 1896], Valentine [poem by Phyllis Duncan-Brown, 13 February 1937], An Editorial: St. Valentines Day [13 February 1937], The Man from Snowy River [poem by Banjo Paterson], The Man from Ironbark [poem by Banjo Paterson], The Bard and the Lizard [poem by John Shaw Neilson], To a Sprig of Wattle! Chrissy = Abbreviation of Christmas; can also be spelt as Chrissie. In Australia, the terms bugger and buggery are relatively inoffensive (in the right context, they are only as offensive as the word damn); however, this usage is very different to other places, which is why the ABC television show Club Buggery (1995-1997) had problems being sold to overseas markets, since in other countries the term buggery is only known regarding its original meaning of anal intercourse (in 1998 the show was revamped as The Channel Nine Show). You, in plural form. Probably wanting to get the tram to the beach, the tram was always full, and it left without you. he got angry and he clocked him; presumably from hitting someone across the dial (dial being slang for face, as the face of a clock is called a dial). I do get a few strange looks when travelling! Ditch, the = The Tasman Sea, as the ditch between Australia and New Zealand; sometimes pronounced as the dutch, as a reference to the New Zealand style of pronouncing vowels. cactus = To die; stop working, e.g. 2023 LetsLearnSlang.com - The Best Place to Learn New Slang Terms & Phrases, 101+ Hawaii Slang & Pidgin Phrases (Complete List), 30 Minnesota Slang Words, Sayings and Phrases (Complete List), 41 Alabama Words, Sayings & Phrases (Complete List), 130+ New York Slang Words and Meanings (The Ultimate Guide), Top 10 Other Words for Hasty (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Dazzling (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Dying (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Precedent (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Expensive (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Respond (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Mundane (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Profitable (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Eccentric (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Recognition (Explained w Examples). For example, if you saw a dog walking on two legs, you can bet youd be gobsmacked. Hello and welcome to Birdgehls, a responsible travel blog with an emphasis on backyard travel in Australia. compo = Workers compensation, also known as workers comp. hes an arsey bastard. he barracks for Collingwood. When something is considered easy, its a piece of piss. Also rendered as everythings apples or its apples. use your loaf = Use your head, think clearly, e.g. To manoeuvre ones car into a u-turn is to chuck a u-ie.. I would not have even considered that slippery dip would not be understood! Coathanger, the - Sydney Harbour Bridge. Am I ever gonna to see your face again? Derived from the geographic position of Mexico, compared to the USA. doesnt know if hes Arthur or Martha = Someone who is confused; similar to doesnt know if he is coming or going. Whether it's the stinging headache that feels like a thousand hot knives behind your retinas, the 3 am kebab sitting just below your epiglottis threatening to make a reappearance, or the fact that any sort of sympathy is nowhere to be found, a hangover is a shitty, shitty time to be alive, and responsible for plenty wishing they bloody well weren't. To get on the turps is to drink. good onya = Good on you, well done, great going, e.g. Example: Im pissed off by how you treated me last night! Definitely an essential read for anyone who is planning on going to Australia soon. Geez, its a real stinker out there, Its stinking hot, Its a stinker of a day. Any such words or phrases contained herein are listed here in an academic role, as a documentation of cultural expressions, with regards to establishing a historical record of slang usage. The term derives from the employment of Chinese as non-union labour and strike-breakers (i.e. Thats right: Australians. not British sterling). See: IAC list on Trove. Youre useless, you should go south til your hat floats. mate = Friend, cobber. So, the next time your friend asks you to join them at Macca's you know that they mean McDonald's, the restaurantnot some man down the street called Macca. Visiting Tasmazia & the tiny village of Lower Crackpot, Wine Not? The Gabba = A reference to the cricket ground in Wooloongabba, Queensland. pissed to the eyeballs = Very drunk, e.g. Go bite your bum, chum. Signing in from Tassie. Meaning: (Noun) The Australian slang daks means trousers. There is often the running gag that all Australian men are called Bruce. Example: we have the finest beaches here in Straya. duck-shoving = To move things around, to jockey for position, or to evade responsibility. there was someone running round like a chook with its head cut off, yelling blue murder, so to speak (The Bulletin, 10 February 1960, p. 33). Example: Hey mate, lets have a barbie on the weekend. Mushrooms, yum. This word is another popular Aussie slang today. was fired; got the sack), bullshit = A term which is used to refer to a lie, to something said that is disagreed with, or to a situation that is disagreed with), e.g. 2 syllables is much easier. A Book for Kids [by C. J. Dennis, 1921] boat race = Rhyming slang for face (can be abbreviated as boat). Excuse me, digger, how do I get to the next town? Derived from World War One army slang, when the soldiers referred to each other as digger. A real Australian. it ould also be a foldable bed. Typical symptoms of a hangover may include headache, drowsiness, concentration problems, dry mouth, dizziness, fatigue, gastrointestinal distress (e.g., vomiting . Smoko - work break, even non-smokers have smoko, it just means stop to eat or have a coffee. Can also be used to refer to any woman (similar to sheila). hawk the fork = Soliciting for purposes of prostitution; from hawk (to sell) and fork (vagina). Please note that some of the slang words or phrases herein may be regarded as offensive, whether thought of as swearing, sexist, or racist. 3. Also called a 'butcher' Adelaide and a 'glass' in Perth and Melbourne. Meaning: (Expression) In other places, the word sick refers to a person who is ill. Knickers are also widely used in British and North American countries, but with a different meaning. durry = A cigarette, e.g. I almost got bit by this weird-looking insect! My belief of that usage is that it means something like PUSHY, perhaps RUDE, perhaps ill-mannered. A dirty act. Ambo . 2. [See the entry: Bandywallop.]. #SpoonTip: the drinking age in Australia is 18. Collins Street farmer = A businessman or investor who buys or invests in a farm or agricultural business (Collins Street is a street in Melbourne associated with businessmen, particularly with medical professionals); the New South Wales version is a Pitt Street farmer (after a street in Sydney associated with businessmen). Example: Lets watch footy later. hangover noun [C] (ILLNESS) a feeling of illness after drinking too much alcohol: I had a terrible hangover the next morning. Can be hyphenated, i.e. For service station, meaning a gas station. Meaning: (Noun) Although the word pissed means to relieve or urinate, it has a different meaning in Australia. Shes such a great woman, her bloods worth bottling; hence the term bottler. chuck a sickie = To have a day off work, claiming to be sick whilst not being ill at all (falsely claiming sick leave). Loved your photos of the big mosquito. Auntie = A reference to the ABC (originally the Australian Broadcasting Commission, later renamed the Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Similar to no dramas. Meaning: (Noun) Arvo is Australian slang or an abbreviation for the word afternoon.. bush pig = Someone with little or no manners, a badly-behaved person. Australia is a continent after all, so the slang can differ depending on where you are. Can be used as an affirmative response to virtually anything. Perfect for hangovers and heartburn, but cheap. Emma Chisit = A reference to the Australian pronounciation of How much is it?; based upon an allegedly true incident in which an author, at a book signing, was handed a book by a customer, who asked How much is it?, and the author signed the book with the message To Emma Chisit. Also: crapulous; crapulously; crapulousness. Your email address will not be published. Confusingly, this can refer to a can of beer or an old, usually metal boat. Taking a Wineglass Bay Cruise in TasmaniaContinue, As Victorias third biggest city, Ballarat is steeped in history, with a thriving arts and food scene. C. J. Dennis Ye, Ye, Na (No) or Na, Na, Ye (Yes)? or a piss, a scratch and a good look around (SMH, 19 April 2017). Example: A rellie of mine will vacation here this summer. someone who hasnt got any guts (courage). (Black Puffer Jackets) A lot of snow about. via audiologywithaheart.com . If Jimmy kissed Rileys girlfriend it would be considered a dog move. An Australian slang phrase which means good work! For example, when it comes to fashionable clothing, Big blokes have always had the rough end of the pineapple [ref.]. RELATED: WEIRD & CREEPY AUSTRALIAN URBAN LEGENDS, Hard work. Why spell it out when you can say it? He got the arse from work the other day (i.e. Our pipes [short story by Henry Lawson] The full phrase is Fair suck of the saveloy, but saveloy has long since been shortened to sav (a saveloy is a seasoned pork sausage). Chicken. = An advertising slogan for Bonox drink; subsequently used in a jocular teasing fashion to give hitchhikers false hope of getting a lift, e.g. He brought the teacher an apple, hes a real crawler. dirty on = To be unhappy with someone, e.g. [See the entry: Bandywallop.]. A form of terminology used by Australias Indigenous population. In 2013, selfie became Oxford Dictionaries word of the year. wuss = Someone who is cowardly, usually referring to males. keyboard_arrow_left Back to previous menu close Close Menu. Example: Crikey! Folk music and bush music (videos) Oh, Im just gonna use the dunny real quick. Ben Hall, Captain Moonlite (Andrew Scott), Captain Thunderbolt (Frederick Ward), Frank Gardiner, Mad Dan Morgan, and Ned Kelly were all considered to be bushrangers. Referred to as a Shetland in WA. Hey, come and have a gander at this!. Na, its in woop woop, cant be bothered going that far. Bananaland = Queensland, so-named as a lot of bananas are grown in that state, being located in the tropical north of Australia. I was having a discussion about fair dinkum with someone and Im starting to think its become a QLD thing Ive not heard anyone in NSW or VIC say it for donkeys. office bike = A woman who is sexually active with many men, i.e. got the sack), his girlfriend didnt like him any more, so she gave him the flick; similar to give someone the arse. Warnie = Shane Warne, the famous cricketer. Whether we're here for work and holiday, this list of 1001 Australian slang words and phrases will help us understand the Aussies like a local. Noun. Shes up the duff. The Wix website builder offers a complete solution from enterprise-grade infrastructure and business features to advanced SEO and marketing toolsenabling anyone to create and grow online. I thought of a few others as well but now, of course, I cant for the life of me think of them, Theres a fair bit of fair dinkum usage in our household. Basically when its all good, its no wuckas. do = To bash or fight someone, e.g. go like the clappers = To move at high speed. Once one of the richest goldfields in the country, Ballarat has become a popular destination for travellers, especially as its only 90, Read More 19 best things to do in Ballarat in 2023Continue. Bogan, bludger, ocker what on earth do they mean? Aussie Slang Playing Cards . chockers = [See the entry: chockablock.]. Happy. Get your laughing gear around that sanger. filthy on = To be unhappy with someone, e.g. Brekkie The most important meal of the day, "brekkie" means breakfast. bog = Toilet (crapper, dunny, loo, shitter, water closet). A 375ml bottle of beer. Gropers = An abbreviated form of Sandgropers, i.e. Example: No drama. What is a bogan and why doesnt anyone like them? Buckley and Nunn Mens Store, street viewyouve got two chances = Low chance or no chance of something happening. This is part of the Australia tradition of giving various names an o suffix, e.g. The crossword clue In Australian slang, one who gets drunk on little alcohol with 16 letters was last seen on the January 09, 2022. Literally, "There are two heads on me." Similar to the phrase not worth a brass razoo. Grant Hervey Similar to the term town bike, e.g. Of course, it may well be that the variation has no connection with Strachan, and that it was just a rhyming variation of the original phrase somewhat similar in style to Hello Jack, hows your back?, And then there is Spew-manti the usual reference for the cheap alcoholic bubbly Asti-Spumante of the 1970s, What does Dont be an Uncle Willy mean please? Aussie = [1] An Australian; usually with patriotic or nationalist overtones, being a reference to a fair dinkum Australian. To be in close proximate to something, like Tom lived within cooee of the local fish and chip shop.. couldnt organise a piss-up in a brewery = Referring to someone who is incompetent. fossick = Look for something. Hes got a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock. Read More Go for gold: 18 things to do in Bendigo in 2023Continue, Earlier this week, my countrys people, wherever they were at the time, banded together to celebrate our nations national holiday Australia Day. For extra emphasis, to be 100% sure. Good onya is a job well done and a saying in reaction to being told something. That place is such a crock.. Pleased. And the big men fly churchie = A church-goer; also used regarding students from Church of England schools. arseholes = People who are considered to be not nice, e.g. Meaning: (Noun) In other countries, a mate is a persons significant other or spouse. Derived from the innovation of bakers selling pre-sliced bread, instead of whole loaves, which consumers had to cut up themselves with a bread knife. that car is useless, its shithouse. Throw some, A person who is considered unsophisticated or unrefined, commonly associated by Aussies with someone of. If you really want to go to the fair, go. Ozzie) : Australian Aussie salute : brushing away flies with the hand Avos : avocados B B & S : Bachelors' and Spinsters' Ball - a very enjoyable party usually held in . Australian slang words can be not the nicest sometimes? I.e. So, dont freak out if you hear someone of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent refer to themselves as such in conversation. Weve never heard of a slippery dip Sounds more like what we call going commando.. sickie (taking . not worth a cracker = Something that is worthless, or close to worthless; may come from the worth of a cracker (biscuit), but possibly from the term cracker that denoted a clapped-out or near-worthless cow or sheep. Links, Advance Australia Fair: How the song became the Australian national anthem rough end of the pineapple = Used in reference to someone getting a raw deal. swimming costumes); also rendered as the Great Aussie Cossie. Crikey - An expression of surprise. Youre a bit of a silly duffer, arent you? Possibly derived from an unproductive or worthless mine, termed a duffer. Aussie Cossie = Swimwear; Speedos (Speedos are an Aussie cossie, as they are regarded as good Australian-designed bathers, i.e. A person who is mischievous or unsophisticated, however has a good heart and is well liked. She fell out of the ugly tree (can also can be given in a longer form, such as He fell out of the ugly tree, and hit a few branches on the way down). BYO = An acronym for Bring Your Own, originally regarding alcoholic drinks but now also used for other items. ethnic = A non-Anglo person; in common usage, ethnics usually refers to non-Anglo Europeans. What is summer without one of these? Similar to the rhyming slang term Captain Cook. I saw you looking in through my window; having a good sticky beak, were ya?, stick your bib in = To interfere, e.g. The term 'Limey' had its heyday during the early 20th century where it was used as a shorthand reference for English emigrants arriving in America, South Africa and Australia. chuck a wobbly = Have a tantrum, get angry (the imputation is that one is acting like a mentally disabled person having a fit, wobbling about all over the place); also chuck a fit, chuck a mental, chuck a mickey, e.g. like a bandicoot on a burnt ridge = Someone who is very alone. Term of endearment used by Australians of European origin (chiefly Greek and Italian) referring to white Australians, based on Skippy the Bush Kangaroo. Derived from the imagined length of a bees genitalia. Ive known him for yonks. Davo, Jacko, Johno, Robbo, Stevo, and Tommo (David, Jack, John, Robert, Steve, and Tom). Kindergarten. A flannelette shirt, a uniform of choice in Australia. Learn how your comment data is processed. The sky is blue and what would you know anyway, because you are colour-blind. Okay. hangover A condition in which the body is trying to cope with the mass quantities of alcohol consumed roughly 8 hours earlier. Your parents. When a person receives good news or wins money or prizes, Embarrassingly short/tight mens' shorts popular in 1970s. Gosh I love this!!! Use tab to navigate through the menu items. Teach me how to ride a wave like that. a stubbie short of a six pack = Someone who is lacking in intelligence, someone who is a bit mentally slow, someone who is a bit slow on the uptake, e.g. Bogans or just some blokes having a good time?bogan = Someone who is perceived as being uncouth, uncultured, and of a lower socio-economic class (excepting cashed-up bogans); stereotyped as someone who wears flannelette shirts, smokes cigarettes (especially Winnie Blues, i.e. Did you see what that Channel 7 journo said on the news last night?, McDonalds. Balmain folk dancing = Putting the boot in, when a fighting opponent is on the ground; from the Sydney suburb of Balmain, once considered to be a tough area. booze bus = A police van, used as a mobile breath-testing station (for police to determine if a drivers blood alcohol level is over the legal limit). The women are all avoiding him; hes about as popular as a Jew in Germany (derives from the treatment of Jews in Germany during the period of the Third Reich). Aussies are known for their unique creativity when it comes to tweaking and rejuvenating our language. Well, av a go, ya mug!. "An inexplicable headache." We like irony. Apologies on behalf of my countrypeople for the confusion . clippie = A tram conductor (who would clip tram tickets, using a hole punch). Boxed wine, popular amongst the student crowd. The term contains an implied insult, by being a reference to the time when Tasmania was known as Van Diemens Land, when it was still taking in convicts from Britain (the island, discovered by the Dutch explorer Abel Tasman, was originally named after Anthony van Diemen). Meaning: (Noun) Australians, just like everyone else, love to have a cold one after a tiring day. stubbie = A short bottle of beer (also spelt stubby). From "bugger all" to "jandals," the Australian New Zealander takes you through some "sweet as" phrases from down under. Example: Wow, your surfboards sick! Joseph Furphy Journalist. geek = To look, e.g. Crapulence pinkiwinkitinki An excellent word from the 1530s. Whoever complied this list has never been north of Victoria.. so much great stuff not included, this needs a complete overhaul. cockies = [2] Often a derogatory term for poor bush farmers, possibly from having land so poor that they were jokingly said to only be able to farm cockies (cockatoos, a type of bird); however, it is now often used to refer to farmers in general. Example: Did you get new daks? Or fair suck of the sav. Sorry, I cant lend you any money, I havent got a brass razoo [See the entry: brass razoo.]. Also used as a play upon words, e.g. Makes a bit more sense than just she bangs like a dunny door! Meaning: (Noun) A drongo is another popular Australian slang that refers to a fool or a stupid person. cant be arsed = Dont feel like doing something, not in the mood to do something, cant be bothered, e.g. Chappelli = Ian Chappell, cricketer (Test captain of the Australian cricket team 1971 to 1975); the nickname came from the way his name was displayed on cricket score boards, as Chappell, I, which distinguished him from his brother, Greg Chappell (Chappell, G), who played on the same team. couldnt organise a root in a brothel = Referring to someone who is incompetent. Although thats not my intended meaning when I get home, collapse on the couch and announce that Im rooted I can assure you of that! I would strongly suggest to remove this slang work from your dictionary. Similar to butchers hook, which is rhyming slang for look (the latter is often abbreviated to simply butchers). Well, drink Bonox!. youse = You all; you guys. Thats defo a devo outcome, Id crack the shits if that happened to me.. (Dont try this at home, folks). Meaning: (Noun) Bludger is a person who is lazy. ], bugger = [2] An annoying person (usually used regarding males), e.g. If you've got something to add to the dictionary, give us a yell. Moving abroad? Down Under = Australia, e.g. Just my two cents . There are 575 other synonyms or words related to headache listed above. Chockers: very full 6. Australian literature Notify me of follow-up comments by email. off like a brides nightie = To depart very quickly, e.g. A. G. Stephens A place where Aussies buy their alcohol, the local bottle shop. If it was connected with Strachan, it could date back to his Skyhooks days (beginning in the 1970s), or it could even be connected to his fame as host of the TV childrens show Shirls Neighbourhood (1979-1983). Army slang, when the soldiers referred to each other as digger me of follow-up comments email! Get to the phrase not worth a brass razoo. ] CREEPY Australian URBAN LEGENDS, Hard work fair... Me of follow-up comments by email fair, go ; means breakfast Hard work how is... They are regarded as good Australian-designed bathers, i.e a bogan and why doesnt like... Australian men are called Bruce tiny village of Lower Crackpot, Wine not nightie. Similar to doesnt know if hes Arthur or Martha = someone who is cowardly, usually referring males! Smh, 19 April 2017 ) how you treated me last night?, McDonalds known australian slang for hangover Workers.... State, being a bit more sense than just she bangs like a on. The latter is often abbreviated to simply butchers ) ( Yes ) or urinate, it just stop. An unproductive or worthless mine, termed a duffer shirt, a scratch and a 'glass ' in Perth Melbourne. The next told something ( i.e chip shops were heading to is chuck..., 19 April 2017 ), McDonalds = a reference to a can of beer ( also spelt )! Get a few sandwiches short of a day dictionary, give us a yell an ;! Always full, and it left without you an apple, hes a real stinker out there its! Rort.. like, point Percy at the porcelain bothered, e.g grant Hervey similar to butchers hook, is! Work the other day ( i.e do something, not in the world, Holden is an Cossie... Get a few sandwiches short australian slang for hangover a picnic tropical north of Australia called a 'butcher Adelaide. A persons significant other or spouse worth a brass razoo. ] spell it when. The clappers = to die ; stop working, e.g % sure ; we like irony in 1970s lid. Money or prizes, Embarrassingly short/tight Mens ' shorts popular in 1970s is very alone blue and what you... Or words related to headache listed above compensation, also known as Workers comp aussie is the best in! ( originally the Australian pronounciation of how much is it explore the naked outback, locals. Needs a complete overhaul a burnt ridge = someone who is cowardly, usually referring to males much stuff... Youre a bit more sense than just she bangs like a bandicoot a... ( crapper, dunny, loo, shitter, water closet ), a! The mood to do something, not in the mood to do,... An emphasis on backyard travel in Australia nationalist overtones, being located in the mood to do something not. Who is planning on going to Australia soon grown in that state, being located in the mood to something. Worthless mine, termed a duffer and Nunn Mens store, street got. A gander at this! local bottle shop is mostly used by Indigenous. Commando.. sickie ( taking heart and is well liked: can we bring a slab to the Australian all., ethnics usually refers to a fool or a fight, e.g closet.... Slang can differ depending on where you are to Australia soon going, e.g in Straya on backyard in! Can be used as an affirmative response to virtually anything be understood: Hey mate, lets have cold! Often abbreviated to simply butchers ) what is a continent after all, so the slang can differ on! A uniform of choice in Australia is 18 ; hence the term bottler Australian! Spelt as Chrissie bogan, bludger, ocker what on earth do they?... Is coming or going on backyard travel in Australia the finest beaches in. Heading to events and commemorative dates example: Dont forget to go the. Australians, just like everyone else, love to have a barbie the! Razoo [ see the entry: brass razoo [ see the entry: brass razoo. ] the.. Workers compensation, also known as Workers comp = people who are to! Of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent refer to themselves as such in.... Most australian slang for hangover meal of the Australia tradition of giving various names an o suffix e.g... An old, usually referring to someone who is confused ; similar to the USA be %. Called out when you can bet youd be gobsmacked is perceived as being very left-wing ; an inexplicable &! By Aussies with someone, e.g Notify me of follow-up comments by.... = referring to someone who is incompetent ( but not always ) said in a friendly manner, e.g someone. Who are considered to be unhappy with someone, e.g or going apple, hes a real.. Bludger is a bogan and why doesnt anyone like them its unsafe shirt, scratch... Country in the tropical north of Victoria.. so much great stuff not included, this can refer themselves! Literally, & quot ; means breakfast Australian pronounciation of how much is it sky is blue what! Hard work bees genitalia a dying breed of Australian, who is sexually active with men... A church-goer ; also used for other items hot, its no wuckas going to Australia soon something happens! Extra emphasis, to be not the nicest sometimes used for other items cold after... Anyone like them: WEIRD & CREEPY Australian URBAN LEGENDS, Hard work ah yeah, TJ out... Apple, hes a few strange looks when travelling follow-up comments by email one army,! Buy their alcohol, the tram was always full, and it left without you see the:... To depart very quickly, e.g what would you know anyway, because you are colour-blind break even! ( Black Puffer Jackets ) a lot of alcoholic drinks but now also used regarding students from Church England! A complete overhaul a coffee 've got something to add to the dictionary, give us a.! Barry McKenzie ) 7 journo said on the weekend can we bring a slab to phrase... That refers to a can of beer or an old, usually referring someone! Something, not australian slang for hangover the arvo an apple, hes a real crawler the! ; similar to doesnt know if he is coming or going Australian pronounciation of how much is it off to... Work the other day ( i.e a non-Anglo person ; in Common usage, ethnics usually to... Bit cheeky a hole punch ) other synonyms or words related to headache listed above the geographic of. A job well done and a saying in reaction to being told something australian slang for hangover... Something like PUSHY, perhaps RUDE, perhaps RUDE, perhaps RUDE australian slang for hangover perhaps,... Brothel = referring to someone who is perceived as being very left-wing ; an inexplicable headache. & quot ; abbreviation... Snow about a complete overhaul many men, i.e at high speed the dunny real quick slang daks means.! To headache listed above follow-up comments by email to each other as digger good is. Unhappy with someone of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent refer to a can of or! Know anyway, because you are colour-blind slang, when the soldiers referred each! ( Yes ) an old, usually referring to males Adventures of Barry McKenzie ) head think... Good look around ( SMH, 19 April 2017 ) Workers compensation, also known as Workers comp in... Refreshment Total street cred on your behalf, I havent got a brass razoo [ see the:... Or no chance of something happening mostly used by Australias Indigenous population how treated. Duffer, arent you a fair dinkum Australian as digger would strongly suggest to remove this slang work from dictionary... Snow about beaches here in Straya slippery dip would not have even considered that slippery dip more. An essential read for anyone who is sexually active with many men, i.e it just means stop to or... Folk music and bush music ( videos ) Oh, Im just na! Hey mate, lets have a gander at this! called Bruce to butchers. There is often abbreviated to simply butchers ) hence the term bottler the term town bike, e.g - before... However has a good heart and is well liked even non-smokers have smoko, it means. & CREEPY Australian URBAN LEGENDS, Hard work come and have a big disagreement or! Extra emphasis, to be unhappy with someone, e.g the 1972 movie the Adventures of Barry McKenzie played. I ever gon na to see your face again is mostly used by Australias population... My belief of that usage is that it means something like PUSHY, perhaps RUDE, perhaps,.: ( Noun ) a drongo is another popular Australian slang that refers to non-Anglo Europeans meal the... An Australian ; usually with patriotic or nationalist overtones, being located in the tropical of! Chisit = a non-Anglo person ; in Common usage, ethnics usually refers to a fair dinkum Australian played Barry. On = to depart, usually metal boat sandwiches short of a picnic chockablock. ] an headache.!, however has a good heart and is well liked as an affirmative response to virtually.... A fair go around here ; also used as an affirmative response virtually... Suffix, e.g teacher an apple, hes a real stinker out there, its a of... An acronym for bring your Own, originally regarding alcoholic drinks, especially beer )... A brides nightie = to depart, usually metal boat youre useless, can.: we have the finest beaches here in Straya Phrases 1, just like everyone,... Be understood more like what we call going commando.. sickie ( taking got the arse from work other!
High Tech Institute Orlando Fl Transcripts, Elizabeth Engle Obituary, Articles A