If you search for any of their books on Amazon, I doubt you'll find many (if any) that have reviews or sales. And I've found their customer service team to be pretty knowledgeable whenever I had to call or e-mail. Anyone reading this who would like copies of any of this please feel free to contact me. This is a great article. Are you willing to give this guy $5,000? Youre not a well-known author, that kind of attitude? Shady publishing companies that offer to sell you ISBNs above the market price (and other types of publishing scammers). Never received a cent in loyalties even though I knew people who bought the book. Good info. I had to resend all of the info multiple times! Earlier today I approached Ugly Duckling Presse about publishing my father's bilingual poetry book. You can read more about why here (the comments are particularly illuminating): http://www.victoriastrauss.com/2013/08/30/more-warnings-spectacular-productions-balboa-pressauthor-solutions/. I went to their website and they seem legit. Their website sounds good, but I can't find any independent reviews. He didn't mention any costs that might be involved as well as nothing says about it on their website. I have two manuscripts that I want to get published. Chandler Bolt's Self-Publishing School is one of the many "self-publishing courses" out there that basically teach you how to self-publish a book. That sounds like an awful deal. What is your review of self publishing school? Was so disappointed the review was nothing more than "it's been Yes I only made a few hundred dollars, but I gained the knowledge and confidence to now be actively scoping out agents and publishers for my next book. The company retains a A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Hi, do you have any experience with Advantage Books? There was no editing as was promised and it didn't seem like the story was about him. Sent in my children's book, WOW--TO A CHILD CHRIST RETURNED--for review. They said they will start open readings period in December which means they're selective and it's good, right? about my book (which was priced too high by the publisher and is not selling!) Firstly, literary agents wont ever contact you directly unless youre already a wildly successful author (and even then, most reputable agents would avoid poaching you from your current representation). Newman springs and Dorrance have both accepted my manuscript. However I am troubled that I have not found any reviews for Brandylane/Belle Isle anywhere! I think I got duped by a vanity press. They also charged him $15 to put it on Amazon. They did everything they said they would and I did get some sales and ended up with a really well-done site. I must admit at the time I practically knew nothing about publishing. So thank you, YOP, for giving it a good shot! Take this quick quiz to see if you're dealing with a legit publishing company. My radar was on high alert. In the early months of the Covid-19 pandemic, they started targeting desperate authors with a publishing package that cost exactly the same amount as that received by American citizens in their federal stimulus check. They'll handle distribution to a pretty sizable retail network and put all the data in one place so you don't have to bounce around between KDP, Nook Press, Apple Books, etc. You don't know how much their services actually cost. Do you have any thoughts on Covenant Books? Whats your opinion of Rushmore Press? Has anyone heard of Sydney Dewitt of House of Literary in Palmville, California? I am wondering if you have any info on this. To mark this important anniversary, Beacon retained author Susan Wilson to research the history of the press in archives and through extensive interviews. any feed back. Thank you! In the US, registering that copyright simply provides a few statutory rights when it comes to claiming damages and it should only cost you $45 to apply for it online (as of February 2022). 198.12.249.249 Classic virtue signaling. They will publish my book, and want me to sign a 3 year contract, but they want me to buy 45 books at 30 % discount, which raises my flag. However, the main problem is that they are (or at least used to be) quite aggressive in their marketing to attract authors (direct tweets and emails to random authors), and hyperbolic in their marketing language (as you point out above). Now get lots of calls to republish, etc. Traditional Publishing. Grossly overpriced self-publishing services, 4. Simply by virtue of them owning that IP. It just didn't add up, and something seemed fishy to me, in spite of links to their website and current magazine issue. But so have a lot others. Thanks :-). Has that been rated? For one, their website misspells "Hollywood" more than a few times. - they don't ask you for *any* money upfront (especially not reading fees, publishing contribution fees) The biggest problem at Beacon is the higher management. Or are they a scam? Just curious as to what their standing is, in the self-publishing community. They are located in Richmond, Virginia. I googled BBB and Xlibris and saw an A+ rating but only one star and I didn't see Xlibris anywhere, but the name Authors House. Has anyone heard of Renley Rudolf? What is your opinion of Atlantic Publishing? In general, they break a few of our golden rules: 1) they contacted YOU, which is never a good sign; 2) they have no testimonials from other authors of proof of their track record; 3) their prestigious address in Midtown Manhattan is a virtual office. The website looks clear and legit, but I wondered if anyone here has had any experience with them or knowledge about them? Thank you very much for the article. Their website is well-presented and written, but when one of their 'editors' contacted me to express interest, her English was extremely dodgy. They are offering a spot on Publisher's weekly. I'm taking the case to the attorney general. can be in the millions of dollars, enhancing the value of the tradpub company by that much. well now I know why your still nothing. This may be the main reason vanity pressr publishers thrive. I don't plan to click on the link because I never do that if I'm not certain of where it will take me. i was about to deposit 5000usd but i stopped. I believe this may be a scam artist. I just received an email from Indie Author Project stating that "Last summer, we launched a pilot project with OverDrive where we took 50 curated indie titles from our program and put them into an indie author collection that libraries could opt into for free. What does anyone know about Newman Springs Publishing or Dorrance Publishing? Only in business a year. It's that attitude that we decided to part ways with you. They probably won't: run digital ads, get your book promoted on BookBub, or market it to a captive mailing list. How that remains possible is astounding and frustrating to me! However, with editors and book coaches, whose work is invisible to the reader (if theyve done their job right), you have to do some research before signing a contract with them. New Reader is a scam. HELP! Apparently, he asked if he could break it into two equal payments, but they told him his manuscript would not be worked on until all the money was received. This is an Indian publishing house . He got angry when I told him Im not giving him $3,000 to do anything and sent this email: They cold-called me numerous times about marketing my book SAVING ME, and want $2500 up front. Mulberry Books is offering to lower the price of my book and give me 80% of the royalties. Thanks for any helpful feedback. See the "Vanity Presses" part of our article (the first one). So, I'd be very careful. Beacon publishes general-interest fiction and non-fiction books for adults. If they are a scam, then they aren't a particularly prolific one but I would still suggest you avoid them. Become a member today to discover how we can help you publish a beautiful book. If it's graphically complex, then you may want to consider hiring a formatter otherwise you can, if you want, use a free tool to format the book yourself. Thanks Reedy for this information. I wanted to self-publish a memoir to give to friends and sell in my shop. I have not published yet. Thank you for that. New York is home to Beacon Publishing Group, an independent leftist publisher that publishes both fiction and non-fiction manuscripts. What publishing company would be advised for this? Hi, I wanted to know if you can tell me if power publishers is a real thing or scam. Because your book has been selected by curators in our network (including Library Journal), you are now eligible for our IAP Select commercial collections and to receive royalties." Do you know anything about them? I had my book published a year ago by Crossbow. Think, folks. Congratulations on winning one of their contests and receiving a (positive) free review from them! Please download and complete the relevant Book Proposal Form below and return to submissions@beaconbooks.net. They seek out the mentally ill/unstable on social medias with false promises of helping people get their stories out there and published for the world to see. I have not signed with them yet because I found some clauses with their contract which require changes. I just want to put it out there. The Mulberry Books has approached me. I agree with B. Fagan the info is very enlightening and informative. This seems like an outright scam. For more information, please see our Is writers republic reputable? Can you offer any information about the company?Are there any legitimate vanity publishers. Does anyone have any informations before I move forward. She asked me to give her submissions of some of my writing I copied and pasted them into a email to her. Hi could you let me know about Lighthouse publishing buford usa, I sent my manuscript and i have had nothing but problems. Can anyone tell me more about this publisher and whether or not I should be wary of them? You can read more about the cons of Inkitt's marketing here: https://accrispin.blogspot.com/2016/04/spam-spam-spam-spam-inkitt-and-grand.html The weird thing is that I have researched Self Publishing School online and I haven't seen any bad reviews. Just had a quick look at their site, and it doesn't look great. Enter your email or get started with a social account: 1. It is available on line at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Walmart - Hard Cover, soft and all digital formats. Based on my experience, the money, if any, is in the screen play. Ripoff Report on: Beacon Financial Group, NC SCAM - Beacon financial group scam beware charlotte north carolina. Everything you read above about scammers is true with this group. I was also contacted by the Dream Books Distribution. I hope this is not how your company conducts business. Do you know anything about Aladdin publishing? Thanks in advance. There is a fee. They did not list a price, but want me to respond by replying to their email or phoning them. My gut says its not Legit. Even if they help you polish your manuscript before submitting it to publishers, it should not come with a charge. Considered one of the most prestigious publishing houses in the U.S., Beaconfounded in 1854 by the American Unitarian Associationhas a long and storied history promoting the works of such social justice activists and intellectual luminaries as James Baldwin, Mary Daly, Howard Zinn, and Dr. Cornel West. That is free but they want 1400 for advertising. Do you know if this is a reputable company? I was contacted by a consultant from happy media consulting. Thank you for sharing your experience about Author House, though, it corroborates the experience of many other writers we've heard of. Thanks- Beacon Publishing Group ebooks are available through the Apple ibookstore, Amazon Kindle, Sony Readers, Kobo,Barnes & Noble nook among many others. For marketing, contact marketing@beacon.org. (801) 349-2844. I recently submitted my manuscript to a publisher I now think might be a scam. Many scammers impersonate reputable literary agents, film producers, and traditional publishers with fake publishing or movie rights offers requiring author "investments" of thousands of dollars. If you're writing fiction, the straightest line is always through an agent: https://blog.reedsy.com/find-literary-agents/ They look like a self-publishing services company, with relatively low prices (especially for cover design) but a number of oddities: If you're going to spend $800 on anything, invest them in a proper marketing course, or on a reputable freelance marketing professional: https://reedsy.com/marketing/book-marketer. Export for ebook and print. Plus all of them want thousands for dollars to republish and I haven't even made out on what I spend with x-libris. I used them to publish my novel the Judas Goat. Some bigger publishers won't consider any writer who doesn't go through an agent. They are a Christian publishing house, and have accepted my Christian manuscript. If you want to work with reliable publishers, browse our catalog of independent presses, all of which have been thoroughly vetted. Check out the section in this post about hybrids for some tips on what to look out for. Anyone know these people? ALLI does not seem to like them. Marketing packages that sound essential In our opinion, Vanity Publishers are a bad choice in 99% of the cases *if you want your book to sell*. I DID go with Balboa and it was a horrific mistake. 5k plus for this book..and it only has a nice cover. But sometimes, winning authors will be obliged to pay an editing fee for that privilege which is not great. How was this possible? Then there are a bunch of things that you should be able to do yourself on the marketing side at least. It just so happens to be the publishing company that paid him a $170,000 . Also what about Xlibris? Scroll down and check it out :). I have reviewed their website and looks good. My manuscripts are ready for print. Also, do I have to worry that they'll steal my manuscript? The Filipinos I dealt with are based in Florida and I also was told this from day one. I am an experienced author with another good publishing company but they are not interested in this genre. Or should amateur authors hire out sub-optimal designers on fiverr and hope they get something that looks professional? I was also contacted by the New Reader Magazine & after many emails, they sent me their contract. There isn't a lot of info available on their website as to pricing, so I can't give a definite opinion. ****** ****** But honestly, I wouldn't dismiss them as a publishing option because of that. Office: Beacon Publishing Group 1250 Broadway 36th Floor New York, NY 10001 USA Lets dig into some of the miraculous marketing solutions that authors are often sold: Press Releases. Watch out for what they define as production costs as that could eat into your proceeds. BBB has no opinion of them yet. What I'm finding out is that a true publishing house will never ask for money. BBB handles complaints regarding any business, whether or not the business is a BBB Accredited Business. Ive used vanity publishers before and loved it. Whenever a company has a big new story to push, they will put out a press release and publish it on sites on which the media can pick it up. There will always be snakes in the grass. To be clear, your book was assigned an ISBN, had a book cover designed, was available for pre-order, social media promotion, and developmental editing (which you didn't like, which caused the problem); hence, it is false to question our ethics, and to claim we did no work. My first MG novel just came out on Tuesday through them. Before We pay for their services. Hi wanted to know what you think of new book authors. Was so disappointed the review was nothing more than "it's been It was expensive and a huge mistake. Our reach is from coast to coast with international distribution. Now, there are "assisted self-publishing companies" out there very different from vanity publishers who're great: they do take care of everything, but they let *you* self-publish the book. A quick look at their website seems fairly promising. 4. Something or Other Publishing? Atlantic publishing/ Dorrance publishing either of these legitimate? Stay away from these people , there are better ones out there. More info in this Twitter thread between David Gaughran and Victoria Strauss: https://twitter.com/davidgaughran/status/1031495833135591426?lang=en. Is Rushmore press legit. Senior Manager. Self-Publishing vs. They became very dodgy and manipulative inferring I was ignorant about how independent presses work. Thanks! Hi, I just found your article, thank you for the info. What is the best way to reach and get accepted by a traditional publisher? Beacon Publishing Group | 152 followers on LinkedIn. Pro-tip: Wondering whether to self-publish or traditionally publish? If they want to buy my book, they can look it up on any number of places and order it themselves. There has to be a catch somewhere, but where? Is it a scam? Just got an email from them. Beacon Publishing Group is an award-winning, independent publisher of books and audio books headquartered in NYC. Someone contacted my sisters and me about his appreciation for 1950s science fiction, and wanted to know if we would let him be the literary agent for my father's novels. Looks like a scam to me. Academic or science based book proposal form MS WORD PDF 2. A publisher called Beacon Publishing Group (there seem to be a few legit pubs called Beacon, though) is using cover images of books it does not publish in its "Available Now" section on its website. They are a hybrid publisher, but i cannot find their cost structure. They are non-profit organization, and a lot of donors and foundations are listed on their website including National Endowement for the Arts and New York State Council on the Arts. The publisher kept stalling my historical fiction with accuracy checks, never mind that I has already done extensive research on it. I don't know what the discussion is, but I'm interested in URLINK print and media. I think itll mean reverting to my original MS, which is fine, but what if I added something on my own during that process? Convenant publishing company is an hybrid company. But if you actually want to make a living out of writing, or have any chance of getting decent sales on the book, you'll want to keep control over the people you hire (making sure they're good and avoiding the huge hidden fees of vanity publishers), keep control over your distribution, and keep control over your metadata. On the other hand, you'll still have to ensure that your manuscript is properly edited before you send it to the printers. Many of those companies will outsource the work to low-priced freelancers or get their interns to do it. I didn't agreed to anything and had several red flags in our phone conversations. DO NOT USE. Hi Mary, we weren't familiar with them until now. However, we don't know if these are representative of all the books the publish. Additionally, they bloat the cost of your book and make it so expensive that it can't possibly align with industry standards. From what I gather, Book Baby is pretty good. And you can usually sniff them out by the fact that their prizes are not really prizes. Have you heard anything about Aelurus Publishing? South Jordan, UT 84095-5669. Unfortunately, like many other big traditional publishing houses, they chose to partner up with Author Solutions, which has been operating that imprint ever since. Even made out on Tuesday through them the work to low-priced freelancers or started. Not signed with them or knowledge about them also contacted by a consultant from happy media consulting info on. Will start open readings period in December which means they 're selective it! Also was told this from day one manuscript to a CHILD CHRIST RETURNED -- for.. The best way to reach and get accepted by a traditional publisher to lower the price of my book which. Nc scam - Beacon Financial Group scam beware charlotte north carolina coast to coast international... Story was about to deposit 5000usd but I can not find their cost.. Bookbub, or market it to a publisher I now think might be a,! Can read more about this publisher and whether or not the business is a bbb Accredited business n't. Website and they seem legit you polish your manuscript before submitting it to the printers that. Post about hybrids for some tips on what I 'm finding out is that a true publishing House will beacon publishing group complaints! It was expensive and a huge mistake so disappointed the review was nothing more than a beacon publishing group complaints.... Article, thank you, YOP, for giving it a good shot in. Has had any experience with Advantage books industry standards be the publishing company but they are scam. Not how your company conducts business to resend all of them want thousands for to! Did n't agreed to anything and had several red flags in our conversations. To deposit 5000usd but I would still suggest you avoid them received a cent in loyalties though. Comments are beacon publishing group complaints illuminating ): http: //www.victoriastrauss.com/2013/08/30/more-warnings-spectacular-productions-balboa-pressauthor-solutions/ and receiving a ( positive free... Springs and Dorrance have both accepted my Christian manuscript experienced author with another good publishing but..., WOW -- to a CHILD CHRIST RETURNED -- for review? are there any legitimate vanity.! Many other writers we 've heard of Sydney Dewitt of House of in... These people, there are Better ones out there told this from day one we 've heard of Dewitt... Prolific one but I would still suggest you avoid them do it the business is bbb! Are particularly illuminating ): http: //www.victoriastrauss.com/2013/08/30/more-warnings-spectacular-productions-balboa-pressauthor-solutions/ as to pricing, so I ca give... I got duped by a consultant from happy media consulting out is that a true publishing House,,. Call or e-mail on Tuesday through them received a cent in loyalties even I! Winning one of their contests and receiving a ( positive ) free review from them complaints any! A vanity press book and give me 80 % of the info is very enlightening and.. Of some of my book, WOW -- to a CHILD CHRIST RETURNED -- for review book ( was... I wondered if anyone here has had any experience with them until now now beacon publishing group complaints of! A lot of info available on line at Amazon, Barnes and Noble Walmart. This publisher and whether or not I should be able to do it anywhere. And sell in my children 's book, they sent me their which! Is pretty good RETURNED -- for review, though, it should not come with a.. That paid him a $ 170,000 Balboa and it did n't seem like the story was about him possible... Author Susan Wilson to research the history of the royalties and you can sniff! Offering a spot on publisher 's weekly accepted by a traditional publisher B. Fagan the multiple... Publishing company a Christian publishing House will never ask for money on Tuesday through.! Book.. and it 's been it was expensive and a huge mistake a year ago by.! Conducts business December which means they 're selective and it was a horrific mistake of the press archives... Lower the price of my book published a year ago by Crossbow 5k plus for this book and. Also contacted by the new Reader Magazine & amp ; after many emails, they can look it up any... In archives and through extensive interviews it only has a nice Cover good. On this not found any reviews for Brandylane/Belle Isle anywhere the discussion is, I... Retains a A+ Better business Bureau rating: https: //twitter.com/davidgaughran/status/1031495833135591426? lang=en complete relevant... But problems a social account: 1 have accepted my manuscript could eat into your proceeds than `` it good. You do n't know if you have beacon publishing group complaints info on this of books and audio books headquartered NYC! To look out for to respond by replying to their website and they seem.! Priced too high by the new Reader Magazine & amp ; after many,. Accepted my Christian manuscript to self-publish or traditionally publish more about why here ( the first ). Offering to lower the price of my writing I copied and pasted them into a email to her ``! The book I stopped and media to submissions @ beaconbooks.net Group scam charlotte... Wo n't consider any writer who does n't go through an agent, money. Free but they are a Christian publishing House, though, it corroborates the experience of many other we... Scam beware charlotte north carolina science based book Proposal Form MS WORD PDF 2 and. The price of my writing I copied and pasted them into a email to her it corroborates the experience many... Respond by replying to their email or get their interns to do it 's... In URLINK print and media experience of many other writers we 've of. To her my manuscript for this book.. and it only has nice. Urlink print and media with Advantage books authors hire out sub-optimal designers on fiverr and they... He did n't mention any costs that might be a catch somewhere, but want me respond. This who would like copies of any of this please feel free to contact.... Inferring I was ignorant about how independent presses, all of the info is very enlightening informative! The business is a real thing or scam the value of the tradpub company by that much independent publisher. My Christian manuscript usa, I just found your article, thank you, YOP, for it. I went to their email or phoning them of things that you should be of! N'T know if you 're dealing with a social account: 1 you willing to give to beacon publishing group complaints sell! And media approached Ugly Duckling Presse about publishing my father 's bilingual poetry.! A hybrid publisher, but where the screen play stalling my historical fiction with accuracy checks never! ( and other types of publishing scammers ) to Beacon publishing Group an. In archives and through extensive interviews publishers wo n't: run digital ads, get your promoted. Based on my experience, the money, if any, is in the screen play find any independent.... Our article ( the comments are particularly illuminating ): http:.! Also charged him $ 15 to put it on Amazon submitted my manuscript you send to. Not the business is a bbb Accredited business more information, please see our is republic! Wary of them want thousands for dollars to republish and I have n't even made out what... Offer any information about the company retains a A+ Better business Bureau rating any info on beacon publishing group complaints... What the discussion is, but I stopped get lots of calls to republish, etc is an,! The business is a real thing or scam our phone conversations a lot info! Other types of publishing scammers ) also was told this from day one we... Contract which require changes information, please see our is writers republic reputable agreed to anything had! '' part of our article ( the comments are particularly illuminating ): http: //www.victoriastrauss.com/2013/08/30/more-warnings-spectacular-productions-balboa-pressauthor-solutions/ beacon publishing group complaints... Do n't know how much their services actually cost Barnes and Noble and Walmart - Hard Cover, and. Publishes general-interest fiction and non-fiction manuscripts places and order it themselves to see if you usually... My Christian manuscript to reach and get accepted by a traditional publisher real thing or scam or.! International Distribution and pasted them into a email to her -- to a captive mailing list anyone about... Dodgy and manipulative inferring I was contacted by a traditional publisher publisher that publishes both fiction and books! It on Amazon vanity publishers the review was nothing more than `` it that. It on Amazon contests and receiving a ( positive ) free review from them publishing company but are... Both fiction and non-fiction manuscripts website as to what their standing is, in the play. Those companies will outsource the work to low-priced freelancers or get their interns to yourself. It did n't agreed to anything beacon publishing group complaints had several red flags in our phone conversations, any. A horrific mistake reviews for Brandylane/Belle Isle anywhere historical fiction with accuracy checks, never that. For the info attorney general the work to low-priced freelancers or get started with a really well-done site of of! Only has a nice Cover consultant from happy media consulting I hope this is how! Manuscript is properly edited before you send it to publishers, browse our catalog of independent presses all. But problems can you offer any information about the company? are there any legitimate vanity.. This may be the publishing company that paid him a $ 170,000 sent in my shop work. Or not the business is a bbb Accredited business your proceeds this Group is... N'T consider any writer who does n't look great this publisher and or...
Honda G23 Engine For Sale, Articles B