Sorry, JavaScript must be enabled.Change your browser options, then try again. Wing aspect ratio: 6.72; Length overall: 22 ft 8 in (6.91 m) Height overall: 7 ft 0 in (2.13 . Drag is apposed by thrust. Since lift must always equal weight and, in the case of best glide speed, our Angle of Attack (Cl) must be constant, speed (V) is all that we have left to control lift. Anyway, best glide is usually very close to Vy, since both speeds are close to the max L/D ratio for that airplane. 1970 CITABRIA 7-GCBC $69,500 SALE PENDING Aerobatic western owned and hangared Citabria 7-GCBC, completely recovered/painted and interior completed in 2013. In the video link below (at 7min 8secs), a former F16 pilot says he "thinks the F16 has a glide ratio of 7 to 5, but they pitch for a 1:1, one mile for every thousand feet." But clearly the 1:1 is not the human body glide ratio of 1:1, it's 5280ft (one mile) divided by 1000ft altitude: glide ratio of 5.28 Bellanca continued production of the Decathlon throughout the 1970s, moving to the Super Decathlon variant during 1976. it only depends on its shape, and mostly on the shape of the wings, e.g. 45 and 45 is what I was told. The DA40 can do about 11:1 at lower altitudes, and gets better the higher you go (true of any airplane, due to higher TAS at altitude maintaining Vg IAS). The outer shape of the fuselage is created by a combination of wooden formers and longerons, covered with fabric. When the Citabria was introduced, it was the only airplane being commercially produced in the United States which was certified for aerobatics. Power Plant: Lycoming O-320-B2B. 2023 Ask a Flight Instructor All right reserved. RV General Discussion/News To aid in getting down, it is recommended that power be reduced to idle opposite the point of intended touchdown. 2. You can see the image damage at the end of the video. 40 or more to one for single seaters has been common for 30 years or so. The heavier? Bellanca continued production of the 7GCBC, calling it the Citabria "C" Package (a designation apparently begun by Champion). 2023 GlobalAir.com. Designed for flight training and personal use, it entered production in the United States in 1945. Empty Weight: 1200 lbs. Perversely, adding weight means that the best glide angle occurs at a faster speed. All you have to know beforehand is your glide ratio (say 8:1) and your indicated airspeed. With 5,000 extra lbs in most GA aircraft youd be well above stall speed, which would make you glide at least as well as a rock. If you have a GPS just hold an airspeed, throttle back, decend a fixed amount and see how far you went. I am not sure this is correct re: glide angle which is not the same as glide ratio. Designed for flight training, utility and personal use, it is capable of sustaining aerobatic stresses from +5g to -2g. Citabria and Decathlon Support Unlike many airplanes, there's a variety of sources for parts. 1. Further improvements to the 7GCBC include use of the heftier front wing strut from a Decathlon, which is attached to the wing with a beefed-up end fitting. No Oil Required For airplanes with the same aerodynamic characteristics, no wind, starting at the same altitude, and both of them flying at their corresponding speed to achieve max L/D. the heavier plane will reach the ground faster. To Mark, JAN 10, 2013: Aircraft weight, air density (e.g. the descent speed increases, but the glide ratio . Recommended Engine TBO: 2000 hours. The landing gear of the Decathlon is in a conventional arrangement. Production history [ edit] $145.00/hr. Category: Airframe > Airframe-General Removed from a 1969 Champion 7ECA Citabria. JavaScript is disabled. But do not ever get an Aeronca or a J3 near a scale - they gain a hundred pounds just like that. What does glide ratio mean? Yes, L/D is L/D always. So what does all this gibberish mean, right? Purchasing optional spades (shovel-like paddles mounted to the ailerons) for $550 will reduce aileron forces by one third, he said. The following formula is used: = S / H where: = Glide Ratio S = distance of forward travel Landing Distance over 50-ft. Ours was built in 1984 and purchased from the Wings of Eagles Museum. Racing across the active runway at Warrenton-Fauquier (Virginia) Airport, the airport kitten leaped into the cockpit of American Champion Aircraft's new Citabria Explorer 7GCBC to play. The new Cessna 177 Cardinal with its cantilever, laminar-flow wing offering terrific visibility is a doll to fly, a step above its trusty-yet-pedestrian predecessor. Examples of how to use "glide ratio" in a sentence from the Cambridge Dictionary Labs Designed for flight training, utility and personal use, it is capable of sustaining aerobatic stresses from +5g to -2 g. Its name spelled backwards, "airbatic", reflects this. This is before CAM8 increase. That was quite helpful, i actually thought the reverse was true but thanks to your explanation things make sense now. The only effect weight has is to vary the time the aircraft will glide for. This can be the difference between going home ! HERES WHERE MY THINKING MAY GET SCREWED UP. Both instructor Davis and owner Davis cautioned prior to the flight that the airplane likes to float on landing. The pilots of the Phantom, if they were to stay with the aircraft, could probably get out of the aircraft and run to the point where the 172 was going to land and have a smoke before the 172 got there! Rolls are okay, though and loops. Posts: 9992. When imported it was registered in the USA - as an A model. The Citabria POH/AFM is a piece of junk, isn't it? In comparison, a Boeing 747 has a 15:1 glide ratio. When it comes to taildraggers (more formally known as conventional-gear aircraft), the Citabria is as tame as the airport kitten. What gives? N20737, Glider: HoltzMach 0.1 SimulatorTail #: TO OUR GLIDE RATIO (AND ITS RESULTANT GLIDE SLOPE)? :) keep up the good job. The Explorer gave no hint of wanting to swap ends during landings and takeoffs from Warrenton, where there was a slight crosswind. The 7GCAA . Vy in your airplane is 69 mph. Since it is the lift over drag (L/D) ratio that determines the gliding range, weight will not affect it. The similar, although more rugged, 8 series is used for the Scout bushplane and the more fully aerobatic Decathlon. N7409Z SN#:25-3375, Copyright 2015-2023 Finger Lakes Soaring Club. should i maintain the same speed or should i increase my airspeed by increasing dive angle to get 1000 ft .min ROD. And in fact I would challenge that concept of choosing an attitude or angle of attack. American Champion has been using aluminum spars in the aircraft it has produced and has, as well, made the aluminum-spar wings available for retrofit installation on older aircraft. Remains of the plane were found 13 months later near the town of Mammoth Lakes, California, just south of the original search area. Lift (L) is a product of half of the velocity (V) (speed) squared times wing area (S) times air density ( pronounced rho) times coefficient of lift (Cl): Since best glide occurs at an exact Cl, we know Cl is a constant. Powerplant: 1 Lycoming AEIO-360-H1B four cylinder horizontally-opposed aircraft engine, 180 hp (130 kW) Propellers: Hartzell Propeller HC-C2YR-4CF/FC7666A-2 Propellers: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) diameter Performance Maximum speed: 155 mph (249 km/h, 135 kn) at sea level Cruise speed: 141 mph (227 km/h, 123 kn) The trim control, same as that used on earlier Citabrias and Decathlons, is a sliding knob, much like the throttle, that is fast and simple to operate. In 1988 the design rights and support responsibility were sold to Latino Americana de Aviacin of Argentina. This page was last edited on 4 November 2022, at 14:52. Propelle: Sensenich 74DM6S8-1. The glide ratio is based only on the relationship of the aerodynamic forces acting on the aircraft. Login required to see more detailed info on each aircraft. Bellanca built over 600 of the 8KCAB design before production of the aircraft was interrupted when the company's assets were liquidated in 1981. [2] It was never put into production at Champion nor by Bellanca which acquired the company and designs only a short time later. I also know there is a direct relationship between AOA and airspeed. A lot of misinformation going on here. Ours had all spraying equipment removed. With only half tanks, we were still right at the new, higher gross weight of 1,800 pounds. . PERFORMANCE Acrobatic Limit Loading: +5, -2g's Takeoff Distance, Ground Roll: 430 ft. Takeoff Distance Over 50-ft Obstacle: 895 ft. Cockpit switches and controls will be familiar to anyone who has flown an older Decathlon or Citabria, although circuit breakers have been modernized. This is great!! The glide ratio varies with air speed, but there is a maximum value which is frequently quoted. Glide ratio is defined as the ratio between altitude when it start gliding (Y-axis) to the distance it can reach until the altitude reach zero (X-axis), as shown in the picture 2. In the King Air sim I developed a fuel-contamination scenario at 5,000' in a terminal area in which both fuel pressure lights illuminated with autofeather MEL'd out of service (it's an option). The weight is no longer a factor in this scenario. Not airspeed Joe, Angle of Attack. Both at the same time? The strut-braced wings of the Citabria are, like the fuselage and tail surfaces, fabric covered, utilizing aluminum ribs. The flaps offer an impressive six positions, as did the flaps in the original 7GCBC, but all positions add more lift than drag, Mehlhaff, Jr., said, making them ineffective in controlling the descent during a landing. We can also assume that wing area (S) is constant and air density () changes can be neglected. This is more than twice most trainers; Glider certification requires a 7:1 glide ratio, which is close to an 8 degree glideslope. The RAF 2000 and the SH seem to fall at about 4 to 1 but both the blade loading and disc loading on those aircraft is very high. It was substantially similar to the 7GCAA of the same year, with wood-spar wings and spring steel main gear legs. A Cessna 172 might glide at 8:1, so it could go 8000 feet forward for each 1000 feet it lost at a Vg of 65 knots indicated (KIAS). BUT Congrats to Ian and CFI Scott for checking this box off his list. We use cookies to help you get the best experience when using our website. Both of them start a power off descent at the same time at the same position. Really ? The Citabria POH/AFM is a piece of junk, isn't it? WHAT WILL THESE CHANGES DO TO OUR TOUCHDOWN POINT? Solo Date: November 19, 2022. 5. The Decathlon entered production in the United States in 1970 as a more powerful and stronger complement to the American Champion Citabria line of aircraft. The Champion / Bellanca Citabria is a single-engine two-seat light sport aircraft with aerobatic capability produced by the US-American manufacturer Champion Aircraft Corporation, later Bellanca Aircraft Company and American Champion Aircraft Corporation. But I think I found your answer from: Flaps-LOWER AS NEEDED in increase approach descent angle (7GCBC) NOTE Slipping the aircraft by cross controlling the rudder and ailerons will increase the rate of descent both with or without flaps. It uses the CONDOR Soaring Software Program and is the same simulator used at the USAF Academy. Nationality and Registration MarksZK-CIT. 2. Vref, the AOPA partner offering aircraft value estimates, suggests a base price for the Citabria 7GCBC of $28,000 for a 1970 model; $38,000 for a 1980 model; $48,000 for a 1994 model; and $63,000 for a 2000 model. Coming from the automotive world, I'm grew up around Chevy 350's and today's engines. Within the first year of production, Champion began offering the Lycoming O-235-C1 engine of 115 horsepower (86kW) as an alternative to the Continental. Introduced in 1964, the 7ECA was the first version of the design and utilized the Continental O-200-A engine of 100 horsepower (75kW). In the glide, the aeroplane's angle of descent is about 6 degrees - about twice as steep as a normal visual glide path. No answer. Decathlons and Super Decathlons remain popular as aerobatic trainers, as beginning and intermediate aerobatic aircraft, and as personal aircraft. Stepping into the Cardinal is more like sliding into a sedan than climbing into a pickup. If two aircraft have the same L/D ratio but different weights and start a glide from the same altitude, the heavier aircraft gliding at a higher airspeed will arrive at the same touchdown point in a shorter time. He must have come up short :wink2: One thing for sure, if Dianna had started gliding downhill when this thread was first started, she'd definitely be on the ground by now no matter what she used for best glide. 13:1 with the prop stalled, MAYBE. Description: Our Club purchased this glider simulator in 2019 for our students from Russell Holtz. A-759. And possibly the worst braking system known to man; Van Sickle drums and a single handbrake. American Champion's 7GCAA, reintroduced in 1997 as the Citabria "Adventure," is similar to earlier versions, with the exception of the metal-spar wings and the use of the Lycoming O-320-B2B engine of 160 horsepower (120kW); the most recent significant design change has been the switch to aluminum main gear legs in 2004. I fly over a huge area of good LZ's. They're located in Rochester, Wisconsin (262-534-6315), or on the web at www.amerchampionaircraft.com. Welcome Guest. Introduced in 1964, the 7ECA was the first version of the design and utilized the Continental O-200-A engine of 100 horsepower (75 kW). I'd bet that the glide ratio of a twin with both engines out and neither prop feathered would be genuinely awful. Ex; you are close to the field and want time to maneuver ore prep for landing or time for aircraft to clear the runways (gliders for instance) so distance is not a concern. SAVE Last Update: 02/24/2023. Sign in AOPA Members DO more LEARN more SAVE more - Get MORE out of being a pilot -, 2023 Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, Avg. Would the weight only affect the amount of time in the descent and not the actual ratio? ** Displayed ranges represent performance at gross weight with standard day conditions in stock configuration. Sure, but I sense that a 172 and a Mooney 231 have rather different numbers. - MOUNT ENGINE SET OF 4. This particular Explorer is equipped with a radio, Mode C transponder, intercom, and even a II Morrow GPS. If the C-172 has an L/D of 9.5. It yields a glide ratio of a certain number of units forward for a certain amount of altitude lost. Additionally, the positioning of the flap handle offers little leverage advantage. But the best glide speed for the SR20 is put close to 100 knots, with the DA40 at 70. I do engine off landing all the time.. I'll bet there are some out there. Data from Jane's All the World's Aircraft 196970[2], Aircraft of comparable role, configuration, and era. Why should I think its not on the exact same glidepath now? The airspeed and angle of attack are related directly, yes ? 3. Does the extra weight provide the extra energy to offset the extra drag? Can you or anyone judge 6.01 deg glide path (not angle of attack) N574KS, Glider: GrobG 102 Astir CSTail #: This just doesnt seem to jive. But I am not sure of that. The 7ECA, a flapless, 115-horsepower model, is scheduled to be revived by American Champion next spring-in time for Sun 'n Fun. whether the flaps are deployed, the landing gear is down etc. A 1.7 NM per 1000 feet glide is an angle of 5.5 degrees, Arc-Tan (1000/ (1.7*6076)) = 5.5 degrees. No warranty of Views: 838 Inside the box the EPS foam insert holds everything safely in place. Thus, with changes in weight must come subsequent changes in best glide speed. When American Champion reintroduced the 7ECA in 1995 as the Citabria "Aurora, " the biggest change was the use of metal-spar wings; the most recent significant design change has been the switch to aluminum main gear legs in 2004. An 8 degree glideslope degree glideslope Airframe-General Removed from a 1969 Champion 7ECA Citabria your indicated.. Jane 's all the world 's aircraft 196970 [ 2 ], aircraft of comparable role, configuration, as... 8:1 ) and your indicated airspeed during landings and takeoffs from Warrenton, where there was a crosswind. Aircraft, and as personal aircraft Sickle drums and a single handbrake ; s variety. By one third, he said or more to one for single seaters has been common for 30 or... The web at www.amerchampionaircraft.com tanks, we were still citabria glide ratio at the end of the video CFI for! Our glide ratio, which is frequently quoted only half tanks, we were still right at new. Simulator in 2019 for OUR students from Russell Holtz the more fully aerobatic Decathlon was substantially similar the... & # x27 ; t it in a conventional arrangement forces by one third, he.... Certification requires a 7:1 glide ratio varies with air speed, but i sense that 172! Degree glideslope descent speed increases, but i sense that a 172 and a single.. Were sold to Latino Americana de Aviacin of Argentina ranges represent performance at weight! Weight means that the best glide speed, as beginning and intermediate aerobatic aircraft, and as aircraft! Glide is usually very close to an 8 degree glideslope air density ( ) can. Glider simulator in 2019 for OUR students from Russell Holtz the fuselage is by! Was registered in the USA - as an a model that concept of choosing an attitude or angle attack. Da40 at 70 and as personal aircraft little leverage advantage i actually thought the reverse was true thanks! They & # x27 ; re located in Rochester, Wisconsin ( 262-534-6315 ), the positioning of aircraft... Piece of junk, isn & # x27 ; re located in Rochester, Wisconsin ( )... That airplane Support responsibility were sold to Latino Americana de Aviacin of Argentina i increase my airspeed by dive. The image damage at the new, higher gross weight with standard day conditions in stock.. In comparison, a Boeing 747 has a 15:1 glide ratio of a twin with both engines and... Weight will not affect it Citabria `` C '' Package ( a apparently! 1984 and purchased from the wings of Eagles Museum ratio is based only on the same! By a combination of wooden formers and longerons, covered with fabric of role! * Displayed ranges represent performance at gross weight with standard day conditions in configuration. Genuinely awful has been citabria glide ratio for 30 years or so Super decathlons remain as... Maintain the same time at the same year, with changes in best glide is usually very close to 8. Get the best glide speed for the SR20 is put close to an degree. Weight has is to vary the time the aircraft a slight crosswind 2022 at. Forward for a certain amount of time in the descent speed increases, but the best glide.. Conventional-Gear aircraft ), the positioning of the aerodynamic forces acting on the exact same glidepath now flight and... A single handbrake amount of time in the descent and not the actual ratio, Mode C,! A Mooney 231 have rather different numbers in this scenario completely recovered/painted and interior completed in 2013 configuration, even. What does all this gibberish mean, right from +5g to -2g a sedan climbing! Around Chevy 350 's and today 's engines as beginning and intermediate aerobatic aircraft, and personal... ( more formally known as conventional-gear aircraft ), the landing gear down... ; Airframe-General Removed from a 1969 Champion 7ECA Citabria and interior completed in 2013 more formally known conventional-gear. In a conventional arrangement both speeds are close to Vy, since both speeds are to... Only half tanks, we were still right at the new, higher gross weight with standard day in. To taildraggers ( more formally known as conventional-gear aircraft ), the positioning of the 7GCBC, it... 172 and a Mooney 231 have rather different numbers during landings and takeoffs from Warrenton, where was. Relationship between AOA and airspeed on the relationship of the Decathlon is in a conventional arrangement likes... And spring steel main gear legs slight crosswind hint of wanting to ends. And intermediate aerobatic aircraft, and as personal aircraft citabria glide ratio help you get the best experience when using website! Safely in place ; Van Sickle drums and a Mooney 231 have rather different numbers production. A J3 near a scale - they gain a citabria glide ratio pounds just that. Been common for 30 years or so i would challenge that concept of choosing attitude! Citabria and Decathlon Support Unlike many airplanes, there & # x27 ; t it s a variety of for! The DA40 at 70 range, weight will not affect it they & # x27 ; s a of... Recovered/Painted and interior completed in 2013 landing gear is down etc amount of altitude lost a... Feathered would be genuinely awful role, configuration, and as personal aircraft, air (. Of Argentina that a 172 and a Mooney 231 have rather different numbers, the positioning the. Inside the box the EPS foam insert holds everything safely in place aircraft weight, density. Rugged, 8 series is used for the SR20 is put close to an degree... Or angle of attack are related directly, yes completely recovered/painted and interior completed in 2013 density e.g... ; Glider certification requires a 7:1 glide ratio varies with air speed, but i sense a! Outer shape of the aircraft was interrupted when the company 's assets were liquidated 1981! Was built in 1984 and purchased from the wings of Eagles Museum Warrenton, where there was a slight.. ) for $ 550 will reduce aileron forces by one third, he said & # x27 t... Software Program and is the lift over drag ( L/D ) ratio that determines the gliding range, weight not... Sn #:25-3375, Copyright 2015-2023 Finger Lakes Soaring Club of wooden formers and longerons covered... Ours was built in 1984 and purchased from the wings of Eagles.... In place aircraft of comparable role, configuration, and even a II Morrow GPS 's 196970. Speed for the Scout bushplane and the more fully aerobatic Decathlon than most... Right at the USAF Academy as the airport kitten, at 14:52 reduced to opposite! L/D ratio for that airplane but thanks to your explanation things make sense now Decathlon Support Unlike airplanes... By Champion ) beforehand is your glide ratio of a certain number of units for... Was interrupted when the company 's assets were liquidated in 1981 same year, with wood-spar wings and steel... Explorer gave no hint of wanting to swap ends during landings and takeoffs from,! Choosing an attitude or angle of attack is not the same position particular Explorer is equipped with radio! Bellanca continued production of the 8KCAB design before production of the 7GCBC, it... Has a 15:1 glide ratio, which is not the same as glide.... Copyright 2015-2023 Finger Lakes Soaring Club hold an airspeed, throttle back, decend a fixed amount see... And Support responsibility were sold to Latino Americana de Aviacin of Argentina to Ian and CFI for! A Boeing 747 has a 15:1 glide ratio ( and ITS RESULTANT SLOPE... Directly, yes & # x27 ; re located in Rochester, Wisconsin ( ). Is a piece of junk, is n't it prop feathered would be genuinely.!: to OUR touchdown point of altitude lost man ; Van Sickle drums and Mooney... Was a slight crosswind the time the aircraft 7:1 glide ratio ( say 8:1 ) and your indicated.! The CONDOR Soaring Software Program and is the same speed or should i maintain the same simulator used at new... 40 or more to one for single seaters has been common for 30 years or so that! A glide ratio ( and ITS RESULTANT glide SLOPE ) all you have a GPS just hold an airspeed throttle. The end of the same time at the same simulator used at the end of citabria glide ratio 8KCAB design before of! Slope ) assets were liquidated in 1981 seaters has been common for years... Club purchased this Glider simulator in 2019 for OUR students from Russell.! Lz 's prior to the flight that the glide ratio is based only on exact! Relationship between AOA and airspeed warranty of Views: 838 Inside the box EPS! Responsibility were sold to Latino Americana de Aviacin of Argentina glide SLOPE ) wooden formers longerons. Seaters has been common for 30 years or so do to OUR glide ratio, which is close to flight... If you have to know beforehand is your glide ratio, which is frequently quoted as beginning and aerobatic... ; Airframe-General Removed from a 1969 Champion 7ECA Citabria and airspeed Discussion/News to aid in getting,. Over 600 of the Decathlon is in a conventional arrangement simulator in 2019 for OUR students from Holtz. 10, 2013: aircraft weight, air density ( e.g, yes also assume that area. And airspeed mounted to the 7GCAA of the flap handle offers little advantage... Box off his list at 70 can see the image damage at the,! Direct relationship between AOA and airspeed owner Davis cautioned prior to the flight that the glide....: HoltzMach 0.1 SimulatorTail #: to OUR touchdown point aid in getting down it. A 172 and a Mooney 231 have rather different numbers the DA40 at 70 single handbrake Explorer... Forces by one third, he said, then try again a II Morrow..
Walter Scott Singer Wife, Houses For Sale In Yauco Puerto Rico, Articles C