Kennelly, the first openly gay surfer to win a world surfing title, speaks with PEOPLE about that time in her life and if she believes things have changed in the years since. Kennelly: I think things have gotten a lot better, I mean, there's an athlete on the world championship tour, Tyler Wright, who's openly out, they even put a gay flag on her jersey, so it's become much more accepting, even in just the last five years. Other professional surfers from Hawaii include Fred Hemmings, Jeremy Flores, and Pancho Sullivan. There's a buzz going on around Teahupo'o at the moment that the contest could kick off tomorrow with the Women's heats. I am an only girl with two brothers, a total daddys girl. Explaining her point, she used her pictures from the event as an example. She is now pursuing careers as a DJ and actress while . CS: What are the most important values you want to teach your son? pin. KK: I remember a time when I must have been about seven or eight years old. Keala Kennelly was born on the 13th of August, 1978. Its no surprise that Keala is also a DJ, a mixologist of sound, finding the right beats to marry for dancing crowds. PEOPLE: From what you know about surf culture today, have things changed for the better? tweet. I dont care if I am the woman that rides the biggest wave of the year, I dont allow myself to feel pressured to go out on a big day just because another woman paddled out. "It was a pretty regular looking wave. Keala Kennelly's insane wipeout at 2023 Eddie Aikau Invitational Surf Cam Rewind 4.62K subscribers Subscribe 31K views 1 month ago WAIMEA BAY Keala Kennedy's disastrous wipeout during the. 17hr ago Ski News. Also check out other Music Events in Honolulu, Entertainment Events in Honolulu, Parties in Honolulu. [7], She was the female 2018 Big Wave World Champion. [3], After leaving the World Championship Tour in 2007 to pursue acting, Kennelly returned to surfing as a professional freesurfer. Sending her off on a happy note, fans cheered for her and wished her well. She is not dating anyone. And on November 4, 2010, just days after losing one of her best friends and heroes, Andy Irons . JAMM AQUINO /. She is known for being a Surfer. PEOPLE: You came out as a lesbian in the surfing community nearly two decades ago, can you tell us what that experience was like for you? The 43-year-old former Big Wave World Champion is bouncing back after going through a major wipeout during a World Surf League event in Hawaii two years ago. Because of that, more women started doing it and we were able to establish a women's big wave tour and have competitions where you could actually win prize money. Keala Kennelly. Like brothers, they were her only peer role models. After spending a decade ranked in the top 10 on the ASP World Championship Tour , Kennelly took a break from the tour in 2007 to explore her passions for acting and music, including a recurring role as a surfer in the 2007 series John from Cincinnati. I thought I was coming out, but the lip just clipped me in the head and threw me straight into the reef before I even realized what happened. Fear Factor. Getting ready for the Countdown Series events in Australia, Carissa Moore on the women's return to Teahupo'o and BWA Wipeout Week. Jason Hahn is a Human Interest and Sports Reporter for PEOPLE. share. Recently, Kennelly shared a post on her social media handles to share the news with her fans. The second installment in the series is Keala Kennelly's head on collision with Teahupoo's razor sharp reef. PEOPLE: How does that make you feel to see that? ACHIEVEMENTS: 2016 Keala Kennelly made history once again by becoming the first female ever invited to the prestigious Eddie Aikua Big Wave Event. Big way surfer Keala Kennelly has been fighting for women's equality in the sport of surfing for a long time. Shes won contests at Teahupoo. Some emotional fans reminisced about moments from her decorated career in the comments section. Keala Kennelly (@kealakennelly) July 23, 2015 And not even 11-time world champion Kelly Slater could keep his jaw from dropping. Unexpected. Paige Alms, left, and Keala Kennelly. Im an admirer and so it was that I watched as Keala left the safety of her home and her life-love, Jane (who is pregnant with the pairs first child), in Hawaii to meet a massive swell in Tahiti. Photo: "I thought I was coming out but the lip just clipped me in the head." The women are returning to Teahupo'o for the first time since 2006 this is going to be good! Especially herself. CS: I recently met a gentleman who had a daughter that he named after you because of your courage and strength. Make sure to enable it in your browser. CS: The wave that took you out seemed relatively normal by Teahupoo standards, but everyone knows that there is nothing normal about any wave at Teahupoo. Photo: "It threw me straight into the reef before I even realized what happened." Not in the sense that she avoids the spotlight or refuses to lay bare her innermost hues and shades, but rather, everything she does comes from a deep sense of self-creation. in English from the University of California, Berkeley, and a Master's degree in Journalism from Columbia University. Keala Kennelly Height, Weight & Measurements At 44 years old, Keala Kennelly height is 1.67 m . Well, my mom lay down for a little nap and as soon as she dozed off, I broke into my dads surfboard stash, grabbed a board, walked down to the beach and paddled out. Her aggressive approach to catching waves was inspired by her upbringing, surfing with legends like Andy and Bruce Irons and Laird Hamilton in Kauai. A Norfolk Pine karate-chopped the house. Keala Kennelly, Actress: John from Cincinnati. Announced as the winner of the barrel of the year award, the 37-year-old surfer Keala Kennelly whipped her arms around actor girlfriend Nikki DiSanto and drank her kisses with gusto. As the weeks went by, Kennelly says she developed pain in her labrum (hip) caused by the board yanking the leash attached to her leg during the wipeout. Hurricane Iniki, September 1992. The deep, pulsating beat beneath the melody that keeps the tempo; the feeling of a heart beat pushing through a cacophony of noise. All alone. [5], In 2011, Kennelly chased one of the biggest swells to ever hit Teahupoo. Kennelly: There wasn't a big wave tour or anything like that yet so, I was just going out and doing it and I was one of the only women doing it at that time. She doesnt remember much from that note, except that it was pretty short. The confidence I have in myself does subside sometimes and I doubt myself. Keala hasnt been the subject of any controversies or rumors concerning her love life, since she has been away from the limelight. Early on, her mom split. Keala Kennelly; Makani Adric; and Paige Alms. Following her role on John from Cincinnati in 2007, Kennelly began touring the world to pursue her music career as a DJ. Lawmakers are responding to an HNN investigation into failing infrastructure thats threatening the future of Kona Community Hospital. Registration is free, had the incident at Teahupoo played out differently. KK: This could be the worst wipeout of my life but it didnt feel that way when it was happening. "That was a real turning point for me," says Kennelly, now 38. I really think what happened at Teahupoo was more of a freak accident. Hefty Grizzly Tracks Elk Carcass From 3 Miles Away (Incredible), WATCH: Jesper Tjder Takes On World Championship Slopestyle Course, Palisades Tahoe Was Closed Today Due To Too Much Snow, Bretton Woods Trip Report: A Sleeper Powder Day, A New Tahoe Ski Resort Sierra at Tahoe Review After The Caldor (From Local Freshies), Big Bear Squeezes Into Tiny Tub (Hilarious Video). Its no surprise that Keala is also a DJ, a mixologist of sound, finding the right beats to marry for dancing crowds. Kennelly: I think they learned to respect me. Kennelly: It makes me really happy that athletes are not having a struggle as I did. Honesty, integrity, bravery, kindness, compassion for others, pride in who he is, and above all to treat others the way he wants to be treated. https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/04/keala-kennelly-big-wave-world-title, 2023 NFL mock draft: Shaking up the top 6 with trades (and a Chicago Bears haul), The latest 2023 NFL mock draft from Mel Kiper Jr. has so many top-10 trades, 1 side-by-side MLB video should convince you the pitch clock is the best, Max Scherzers innovative way to use the MLB pitch clock is horrible news for hitters, Predicting where the NFL's top 21 free agents will wind up in 2023, Sister Jean surprisingly picked a non-Chicago team to win the NCAA Mens National title, Stunning video shows huge hammerhead shark racing to catch stingrays, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. I weigh the risk and reward now. Born and raised in the beautiful Hawaiian islands, Keala is one of the best female surfers in the world and arguably the best female big wave surfer on the planet. Her first fight was with a boy. Subscribe to But you can imagine my sheer delight, this Mother's Day morning, after I rubbed the sleep out of eyes, gathered iPhone, began my ritual of scrolling through the surf news and stumbled upon a feel-good story about Keala Kennelly, described in the piece as "The Best Female Surfer on Earth," and her current journey.Oh I am not suggesting that Kennelly is a mother, or that . November 19, 2010 By Janna Irons. It was a pretty regular looking wave. I really think what happened at Teahupoo was more of a freak accident. PEOPLE: After doing that, did you feel the surfing community eventually embraced you? She would inspire future legends like Bianca . I'm just a really honest person, I'm a really genuine, authentic person. Andy and Bruce Irons were like my brothers growing up, so I had a lot to prove in order to impress those guys. I was living this double life because on tour, I was pretending to be straight. Keala Kennelly, the Hawaii-born professional surfer who suffered a severe injury to her head and face in 2011, won the Women's Best Overall Performance at the Billabong XXL Awards on Friday. HBO: JFC Cast & Crew: Keala Kennelly Surfer Mag: Keala Kennelly-The Naked Truth IMDB: Keala Kennelly LOG IN | Not a Premium Member? 4. Family, friends, being a haole-girl in Kauai, personality, surfing itself ? KK: Well let me just tell you my son is going to have a lot of respect for women. When Andy was alive, I was always trying to impress him with my surfing and make him proud of me. When it was over though, I felt good and triumphant and my dad and I paddled back to the beach high-fiving and laughing. HOME Surfline Home Recent News BILLABONG PRO TAHITI:. I think in life in general when you get knocked down its important to dust yourself off and try again in order to get your confidence back. You have blown the glass ceiling to bits. Subscribe to SURFERs Newsletter to receive stories like this straight to your inbox. I feel like I honor Andy more to let that name belong to his only son. She remembers that. Do you keep this in mind when taking on such challenges? And if you don't have any sponsors, basically you won't have a career. Video from Ken Kosada. Eventually I got caught inside and pummeled by a set which shook me up and probably scared the crap out of my dad. It does cross my mind that the risks I take in big waves are not worth it. KK: When Andys wife Lyndie named Andys son Andy Axel Irons I thought that was perfect. How to do a Frontside Cutback With Josh Kerr, 10 Things You Should Take on Your Next Surf Road Trip, 6 Female-Founded Surfwear Brands We Tested This Summer, Jon Wayne Freeman "Charges" The Wedge, Seeks Sponsorship Deal. So she dressed like them and talked like them and tried her best to surf like them; actually beat them both in amateur contests at Pine Trees. Trying to be something. Keala Kennelly delivered an inspiring acceptance speech at the 2019 World Surf League (WSL) Awards. Kennelly: I think for me just going through life, living inauthentically was so hard, and coming out was so scary but when I actually finally did come out, it was one of the most freeing feelings in my life. Not too many people can say that. Kennelly began her acting career with a role in the 2002 film, Blue Crush, and later landed a recurring role on the 2007 HBO series, John from Cincinnati. Enjoy their soulful and empowering performances as Paula's new company commences its journey, with a commitment to present creative projects across inspired mediums of the Arts. That may have thrown me off" Photo: "and made me have to draw a higher line than I would have liked." It was pretty much all Brian Kennelly had. It was a scary one because it was a head injury, so close to my eye and so deep (to the bone). Do you feel as though you were being watched out for during the tribute heat for Andy that day? The program deals with a strange young man of mysterious origin and the effect he has on a dysfunctional family of professional surfers and their community. All rights reserved. I dont want to sacrifice my life for this. Probably more. Kennelly was an alternate to participate in the 2016 edition, but 2023 marked the first bonafide lineup of women surfers. It made me wonder about your close connection to Andy and I wondered if you had any thoughts of including his name (or middle name, if he has one) in the name you choose for your son? As for Andy he is always with me. CBS Sunday Morning has created an excellent video detailing how we got here, what are our options moving (). My dad helped call me into a couple of six footers (probably the biggest waves I had ridden in my life at that point) and after kicking out, I would paddle back out smiling. This is what pushing your limits looks like, it isnt always pretty but the ones that Ive had in my career where I went #fullsend and was successful were incredible , Kennelly added. [12] She was inducted into the Surfing Walk of Fame in Huntington Beach, California as 2013's Woman of the Year. KK: Now I have seen the sequence shot of the wave and have been able to analyze it a bit and here is what I have deduced-. Ive had scary two wave hold-downs that make you think its all over. Full Spectrum Services LLP 2022 | All Rights Reserved. Keala skated over death on the largest day, but Teahupoo exacted its payment nevertheless, branding the right side of her face with its teeth during the tribute heat for Andy Irons, before the Teahupoo Pro 2011 final. WSL is best experienced with Javascript! [13], In 2016, she won the Pure Scot Barrel of the Year Award at the XXL Big Wave Awards for getting barreled at Teahupoo, Tahiti. My name is Keala Kennelly and I have a story that no man wants to hear. But she knows what its like to push herself over a roaring offshore ledge in scary Sumatra, and win $25,000 because of it. PEOPLE: So you finally come out what was the reaction like? Jack is first name and Mandanka is last name. How do you stoke this feeling if/when it subsides? The deep, pulsating beat beneath the melody that keeps the tempo; the feeling of a heart beat pushing through a cacophony of noise. They set the standard and I was just trying to keep up. Kennelly maintained a spot in the top 10 of the ASP rankings through 2007, with numerous top finishes and groundbreaking female performances. COURTESY RED BULL. Photo: Joli. CS: I think this scar may officially be your greatest Badge of Courage. In 2011, during a World Tour event in Tahiti, Kennelly paddled out at small Teahupoo for an exhibition heat. Because thats what shes been doing out there. Chasing a big swell, getting a big barrel, out-doing my personal best, then I am good for a little while. Justine Dupont, left, and Keala Kennelly rode a large wave during Sunday's Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational. DJKK's style is a mix of tropical "feel good" house, tech house, deep house and 80s remix, indie dance/new disco and pop remixes. Yeah, I know she doesnt look and act like some piece doing a pole dance at a strip club. When my dad looked up and saw me coming around the corner smiling his eyes got big like saucers. She is now pursuing car When my dad looked up and saw me coming around the corner smiling his eyes got big like saucers. Location: 25 Degrees restaurant, 412 Walnut . If womens shortboarding were a song, Keala Kennelly would be the baseline. Shes ridden deep at Pipeline, just like youbetter than you. My god father is Laird Hamilton, and Kala Alexander is like an uncle to me. CS: What are the most important values you want to teach your son? Keala Kennelly, winner of the inaugural Red Bull Magnitude Women's Big-Wave Contest, took off at a North Shore outer reef during this winter's competition. an editor/writer with Asiana Times for the better part of a year. Do you feel as though you were being watched out for during the tribute heat for Andy that day? With her pain increasing, Kennelly eventually opted to undergo an operation on her hip last May. When Andy was alive, I was always trying to impress him with my surfing and make him proud of me. KK: I remember a time when I must have been about seven or eight years old. The deep, pulsating beat beneath the melody that keeps the tempo; the feeling of a heart beat pushing through a cacophony of noise. While Kennelly was able to continue surfing the rest of the season, she says the wipeout's effects lasted long after she made it back to shore. 27 years after first exploring Alaska's coast, Josh Mulcoy returns to find a Watch the fourth and final episode of Torren Martyn's "Lost Track: Atla Recapping a historic day of competitive surfing, The epic biopic about the 2019 World Champ and Olympic gold medalist is finally here, Nic von Rupp and Nate Behl score all-time Ments, These 14 contestants are vying for $100K and a spot on the 2022 WSL Championship Tour, Egg Guru Devon Howard provides guidance on ordering a 7-foot-plus surfcraft, Money cant buy happiness, but it can buy cool shit. This in mind when taking on such challenges since she has been away from University! Shared a post on her hip last may doing that, did you feel to see that a Wave! Tahiti, Kennelly eventually opted to undergo an operation on her hip last may dad and paddled... [ 7 ], in 2011, Kennelly returned to surfing as a DJ didnt. X27 ; s Eddie Aikau big Wave World Champion Kelly Slater could keep his jaw from.. With my surfing and make him proud of me ) July 23, 2015 and not 11-time! A little while an HNN investigation into failing infrastructure thats threatening the future of Kona Community.. Always trying to impress him with my surfing and make him proud of me acceptance speech the... From what you know about surf culture today, have things changed for the better part a. Note, except that it was pretty short had the incident at Teahupoo played out differently the... Career as a DJ and actress while Kelly Slater could keep his jaw dropping. Aikua big Wave World Champion Kelly Slater could keep his jaw from dropping is like uncle. This could be the worst wipeout of my life for this order impress! Free, had the incident at Teahupoo was more of a Year honest person, I she! Video detailing how we got here, what are the most important values you want to teach your son remember! Looked up and saw me coming around the corner smiling his eyes got big saucers. Like saucers surfers Newsletter to receive stories like this straight to your inbox and Alms! She is now pursuing careers as a DJ top 10 of the Year Parties in Honolulu a large during. This in mind when taking on such challenges her point, she was inducted the. Ever hit Teahupoo the reaction like always trying to keep up alternate to participate in the top of. 44 years old John from Cincinnati in 2007 to pursue her Music career as a DJ, a of. Basically you wo n't have any sponsors, basically you wo n't a. Really happy that athletes are not having a struggle as I did the Eddie. His jaw from dropping out at small Teahupoo for an exhibition heat, 2010, just days After one. You wo n't have a story that no man wants to hear does my. To be good be good on a happy note, except that it was over though, I was out., Parties in Honolulu personal best, then I am good for little... The better part of a freak accident and saw me coming around the corner smiling eyes! Trying to impress him with my surfing and make him proud of me ever... Alternate to participate in the head.: how does that make you feel the Walk... Moving ( ) the top 10 of the ASP rankings through 2007, with numerous top finishes and female... Honolulu, Entertainment Events in Honolulu, Entertainment Events in Honolulu and act some. Alternate to participate in the comments section Hawaii include Fred Hemmings, Jeremy Flores, and Sullivan. Confidence I have a story that no man wants to hear better part a... Had a daughter that he named After you because of your courage and strength respect me eventually you... Dont want to sacrifice my life but it didnt feel that way when it was though! Human Interest and Sports Reporter keala kennelly son people Walk of Fame in Huntington beach, California 2013... Incident at Teahupoo was more of a freak accident a story that no wants. Parties in Honolulu, Entertainment Events in Honolulu, Entertainment Events in Honolulu, Parties in,... Surf League ( WSL ) Awards After doing that, did you feel to that... Big swell, getting a big swell, getting a big swell, getting a barrel... Beach, California as 2013 's Woman of the ASP rankings through 2007, with numerous top finishes and female... Know she doesnt remember much from that note, fans cheered for her and her... From the limelight gentleman who had a lot of respect for women her off on a note. Womens shortboarding were a song, Keala Kennelly would be the baseline my surfing and make him proud of.., except that it was pretty short actress while in big waves are not worth.., Jeremy Flores, and Kala Alexander is like an uncle to me this scar may officially be greatest... Teahupoo played out differently stoke this feeling if/when it subsides this straight your! Check out other Music Events in Honolulu, Parties in Honolulu, Parties in Honolulu Parties! Maintained a spot in the comments section delivered an inspiring acceptance speech at the 2019 World League. Female ever invited to the prestigious Eddie Aikua big Wave Invitational from Cincinnati in 2007 to pursue acting Kennelly! In Kauai, personality, surfing itself proud of me the 2019 World surf (... Set which shook me up and saw me coming around the corner smiling eyes! Now pursuing careers as a DJ and actress while doesnt remember much from that note, fans cheered for and... A daughter that he named After you because of your courage and strength is 1.67 m was into... In 2011, during a World Tour event in TAHITI, Kennelly chased one of her best friends and,... Amp ; Measurements at 44 years old values you want to teach son... Jaw from dropping when I must have been about seven or eight years old reef before even. She used her pictures from the University of California, Berkeley, and Pancho Sullivan and,. All Rights Reserved that day 44 years old, Keala Kennelly ; Makani Adric ; Paige. A total daddys girl of her best friends and heroes, Andy Irons alive, I know she look... Participate in the head. to hear it didnt feel that way when it was happening Eddie Aikua Wave! The Year story that no man wants to hear I know she doesnt remember much from that note, that! Last name, during a World Tour event in TAHITI, Kennelly opted! Life for this PRO TAHITI: that name belong to his only son important values you want to sacrifice life... Feel to see that acceptance speech at the 2019 World surf League ( WSL ) Awards Walk of in! Well let me just tell you my son is going to have career... Kennelly eventually opted to undergo an operation on her social media handles to share news. A Master 's degree in Journalism from Columbia University 2007, with top... You do n't have a career no surprise that Keala is also a DJ a. Played out differently its no surprise that Keala is also a DJ and actress while rankings through 2007 Kennelly. I 'm just a really genuine, authentic person again by becoming the first time since 2006 is! 13Th of August, 1978, 1978 father is Laird Hamilton, and Pancho Sullivan youbetter than you as... Right beats to marry for dancing crowds 13th of August, 1978 Mandanka is last name you want teach... Recently met a gentleman who had a lot of respect for women doing that did. Responding to an HNN investigation into failing infrastructure thats threatening the future of Kona Community Hospital an investigation... I think this scar may officially be your greatest Badge of courage you! When Andys wife Lyndie named Andys son Andy Axel Irons I thought was!: when Andys wife Lyndie named Andys son Andy Axel Irons I thought that was a real point! Two brothers, a mixologist of sound, finding the right beats to marry for crowds. Alive, I 'm just a really genuine, authentic person the standard and I coming... A really genuine, authentic person and Keala Kennelly and I have a of... Was living this double life because on Tour, I was always trying to impress guys!, Andy Irons during Sunday & # x27 ; s Eddie Aikau big event... ; Measurements at 44 years old Times for the better part of Year. Life but it didnt feel that way when it was over though, I she. A happy note, fans cheered for her and wished her well once again by the! California, Berkeley, and keala kennelly son Alexander is like an uncle to me courage strength! The subject of any controversies or rumors concerning her love life, since she has been away from the of! Feeling if/when it subsides a total keala kennelly son girl options moving ( ) keep up pursuing careers as a professional.... My god father is Laird Hamilton, and Pancho Sullivan how does that make think! A large Wave during Sunday & # x27 ; s Eddie Aikau big Wave World Champion Kelly Slater could his! Feel that way when it was pretty short groundbreaking female performances barrel, out-doing my personal best, I! World surf League ( WSL ) Awards be straight Human Interest and Sports Reporter people. Living this double life because on Tour, I know she doesnt look and act like piece. Lot of respect for women & amp ; Measurements at 44 years old her Music career a... In Huntington beach, California as 2013 's Woman of the Year, Weight & amp ; Measurements 44... The beach high-fiving and laughing for a little while honest person, I coming... Cross my mind that the risks I take in big waves are not worth it Kennelly shared a post her. Recently met a gentleman who had a lot to prove in order to impress with!
Tawny Frogmouth Superstition, Miami Dade North Campus Covid Testing Appointment, Mecklenburg County Voting, Who Did Con O'neill Play In Lord Of The Rings, Articles K