and that's a fear. inside, up on the top floor is an overworked d.a. >> the people on the other side of the road. upgrade to a new phone every year and get unlimited talk, text and data now just $65 a month. nothing like that, which is kind of confusing seeing as he accused us of shooting at his house. >> it was the 4th of july weekend, late on a saturday night. >> and so there it was. >> it was worse than anything you would see in a movie. turned down a deal from the d.a. >> crack, crack, and fire. 's office all too accustomed to the limited funding of a small town. >> and met up with two others at the chevron gas station where we bought i think a bottle of blueberry vodka and a couple 40 ounces of beer to take with us. >> at that point it was obvious i'd lose my leg. trouble hearing on the phone? >> his name was going to be collin and then he came out with the red hair and i had to look through a baby name book and i found the name rory which means red teen in irish so, hence, rory mcguire. and i'm pretty sure he said, i can't. i give up. to which david hollister replied, nonsense. >> because you wouldn't have this problem now. >> i thought it was much longer than it actually was for him to get out of the truck and come inside the cabin. >> then that afternoon while chad was away on an errand carrie looked out the window and there was a jeep heading up the long driveway, driven by a young man she did not know. bring out the best. he has a good, clean military record. heart healthy, huh?! Due to a planned power outage on Friday, 1/14, between 8am-1pm PST, some services may be impacted. sorting it out fell to detective steve fay and chris hendrickson. now they returned to the car. >> we would talk every day, tell him almost every detail, laugh about little things. >> we better do this case right and we better do it once because that's about our only shot at it. >> yeah. is a daily game of "what if's". ah, mirabai, mirabai, mirabai hi patsy jambo gooday cobba dude look what the cat dragged in eduardo lucas oh! murder and also assault with a deadly weapon. is when i saw him shooting at me. >> i only looked at him once or twice. this kenmore elite dueluggle temperature double oven,? [ laughs ] you nearly had us there. somebody was either dead or dying, something very serious has happened here. >> remember, throughout chad's interview with police he talked again and again about his army career. sorry we're late. and right at that moment i saw the laser light again. >> california doesn't have a stand your ground law per se like some states do but there is a state jury instruction that says a person under threat has a right to stand his or her ground and even pursue an assailant. that's bank of america. it's back. >> the dirt road, emptied into a meadow. >> well, the police asked these people if they had guns and they said no. because when people talk, great things happen. no amount of jail time will fix it. >> did you have a gun? >> candidly i give credit to the detective. at this point, just major relief. you can make dinner disappear. [ woman #3 ] to show my love. >> i thought they were going to get out, engage me. In the California mountains, a young father calls 911 to report that he had been in a shoot-out with a car full of strangers. let's go. one guy is limping really bad. he was making sure we were safe. >> they said that everything was going to be okay and that my dad is here to protect us. and now there's no good memories to be had but we can hold on to the ones that we have. others will be deadly force will be used. In the California mountains, a young father calls 911 to report that he had been in a shoot-out with a car full of strangers. >> people don't shoot other people. it was sunday morning, july 3rd. well, imagine waking up every morning with a little less hair then driving to work in heavy traffic. you and hannah are now friends. during our fall savings sale, save up to 20% on thousands of items, like select reptile essentials. >> did you own a gun? [ smoke alarm beeping ] oh! very good reason, said his attorney. now here they were a second time. [ female announcer ] so you can be up there. i said, i took off after them, and i think i killed one of them. he was exhausted, had been he said entirely cooperative with the cops, told them everything he knew. with the new little people farm (toy) (horse neigh) kids aren't just playing. Prosecutors say a group of men stole a solar light from Wallin-Reed's home and he pursued the car driven by McGuire for eight miles, firing as many as 26 shots at it. >> a promise he intended to keep. [ female announcer ] some questions take more than a bank. he's using you. we've got the latest on those b.a.r.t. All rights reserved. insecure, you as a parent have failed, you know, and that's how i felt as a father, as a person that is supposed to protect your family. i thought, you know, these guys are going to get out. >> awesome. >> chad hopped in his truck, drove to the end of the driveway. at the touch of a button, the sleep number bed adjusts to each person's ideal comfort and support. he's my soul mate. >> remember the defense forensic expert was clear there was gun shot residue in the young men's car and on some of their hands, proving they must have fired a gun. >> why the initial reluctance? i looked up and rory had his face in his chest. i had the kids stay down, out of sight, so they wouldn't be seen. did he say? and what was about to? 120 min NR (Not Rated) News, Series Series. i've made my success happen. one of them hopped out of the car. the charge? let me talk hi bon jour priviet woohoo this is dr. flamenco. >> he said, if i ever see any of you [ bleep ] up here again i'm going to kill all you guys. coming up -- rory's best friend comes face to face with the man who shot him. Diana Galastyan, 26, denies that the Russian authorities may be trying to scare people . >> we go to this campground and, sure enough, we all hop out and then there's like two guys in the middle of this campground with blood on them. it's very chaotic. we'll be back again next friday at our new time, 8:00, 7:00 central. >> he said, i'm going to go call the sheriff. >> sure. for one thing, shards of broken glass, which clearly marked precisely where the car was, when chad blew out the window. suddenly, rory stopped the car and, again, one of the group jumped out and stole two more solar lights. >> it was very clear the defendant had lied about something you just don't lie about. it was just the worst, being without my husband and the children being without their father. >> it was horrible. just choose, load, and save up to 20% automatically at sears.com thyepit's a great ride and it has great gas mileage. >> then his story changed again. yeah, of course. >> no. rory's car must have hit a rock during its rush through the middle just after it made its u-turn further out in the meadow. >> i think it finally sunk in that he was going to get caught in the story. >> right away there's two guys coming toward us with their hands up. they searched around the car. >> i had a revolver and i was headed toward the door. >> and then i just remember seeing some guy running away. >> those sweet, sad, innocent little kids. Best of NBC News. 60 min TV14 News, Series Series SD. there was no gun. >> yeah, yeah. that was how you felt. >> staley and the warden were now joined by a total of three deputies. >> the two gentlemen at the campground, four gentlemen down at the potential crime scene. officers treated them as such. ugh! >> and so before sunday, july 3rd, was half gone, chad wallin reed was booked and strip searched and locked up in the plumas county jail. glass rained down on the meadow. but once he saw they no longer posed a threat, he said, he told the men he'd do what he could to find help for them. Matthew Podolaks Heath Took a Turn for the Worst, A First Look at the Suspicious Death of Matthew Podolak, A Clue Points Authorities in a Surprising Direction in Harrison Case. . >> wait a minute. except for the plate that they placed over his head where the bullet went in, i just remember him as looking like he was asleep. >> and 7.6 miles away, out here in the mountains, snow has begun to blanket the meadow. [ shouting in italian ] . >> it put us all on edge, you know, basically high alert. talk to us today. >> he was so upset. very chaotic that night. >> there's a story to be told. i want to take it home! >> i love carol and i think she loves me back. here. >> daddy will protect us. Its a story that started in 2002 with a single letter from an incarcerated man claiming his innocence. Watch the full episode online. >> they asked, what if they come back and come all the way up to. (beeping) yes. to wait for a jury's decision is a kind of agony for both sides. >> that's when i noticed one of the solar lights had been taken. Enjoy bingeworthy Originals and a huge catalogue of hit TV series and blockbuster films. >> it was in the dark that the fear began. >> but would the warning be enough? >> then one of them remembered some crazy warning signs he'd seen by the road side, wanted to show his buddies. >> chad was still in hot pursuit. >> he was protecting us. on the toshiba c-series touch screen save $49, on rollback. it's rollbacktober! [ mom ] that's my tide. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. >> you just let it go? rory mcguire's dad, still struggling with an inexpressible anger. >> somehow they manage to move rory to the back seat of the car. now you can keep love fun with new shakeables meaty treats. wow! >> what happened here? rory mcguire died. >> chad's wife carrie, up in the cabin with the kids, couldn't tell what chad was saying outside. With war just a few hundred miles away, there are now makeshift signs for the nearest basement in Sevastopol. hiding the only remnants of what happened here. >> right here. >> so i decided it's time probably to check on my leg. what is surprising is who was riding with him. >> i just remember seeing this hand come up out of the grass. two years of pent up heart break. i'm shot. and in court he was no less nervous as he told the jury about seeing the green laser gun site, the flurries of shots fired by the defendant, about the young men's efforts to end the car chase. >> no. the killing that still haunts. to get away from the city, its constant pressures with regular violent crime. team or something like that has come in. >> guilty of first-degree murder. he can protect us. how are they going to get there to help them? i was very shocked. it even knows you by name. [ speaking italian ] [ speaking italian ] [ shouting in italian ] [ shouting in italian ] [ male announcer ] haagen-dazs gelato. then an urgent call came over the radio. my mind frame, these people are trying to kill me. >> first they had to choose a jury, which would be from quincy, a place with gun owning people and liberal city transplants. >> there clear as a giant magic marker a brownish black trail through the long grass of the meadow. 7.6 miles they went careening up the winding country road until the car took a quick turn on to a remote dirt road. he's my best buddy. >> somebody makes their way over toward the car and says, -- >> seen in the footage here, shot in the right leg, bleeding profusely. at petsmart. >> but that is not what louis heard. Peacock is spreading its wings worldwide.Enjoy bingeworthy Originals and a huge catalogue of hit TV series and blockbuster films. actually progresso's soup has pretty bold flavor. >> chad began looking forward to a trial. chad's grandparents built the cabin in the '70s when he was just a baby. yeah. chad sat outside with his visiting friends, who had set up camp on his property. what if i can't hide my symptoms? 4. Now available at no extra cost to Sky and NOW subscribers in the following locations: Peacock is not yet available in your territory. we assumed, yes. >> you believe that. >> and we get about half way up the grade and we approach the property again. Originally aired on NBC on October 18, 2013. >> i don't know. March. [ applause ] biotene -- for people who suffer from dry mouth. [ male announcer ] colgate slimsoft. >> olson told the jury his client was a protective family man doing what he thought he had to do as a father after those menacing visits to his house. before the jury even got the case, chad's wife carrie told us she already knew what the outcome would be. >> sometimes i cried for my dad. they easily clean between teeth and along the gumline. >> i got one off to the right. it was said john olson's partner in their closing argument a clear case of self-defense. >> he was the center of attention wherever he went. [ female announcer ] suave professionals works as well as salon brands. honey, if they come back daddy will protect you. wow. >> the prosecutor felt confident but in a town divided over guns and self-protection, who could be sure what the jury would decide? >> breathe through your nose. >> in the military and in police that's what we call an escalation of tactics until somebody either backs down or the threat is neutralized. November 22, 2013 / 6:00 AM hall we do is go out to dinner.? it was louis, of course, and his very best friend, the 20-year-old junior college student named rory mcguire. and now he faces 50 years to life. a few shards of glass and a little rock to mark the spot where a young man with so much. >> we'd fish and go up there and fish and swim. Watch the full episode online. Miles From Nowhere Dateline NBC 18,373 views 7 Jan 2021 Transcribe your podcast [00:00:11] Deep in the woods, a family lives in fear. >> somebody shot out of that car. long-term housing for people with nowhere to go. it's an awesome price for what i am getting. With one man dead and two others injured, authorities wonder if this was self-defense or something else. / CBS Sacramento. web pages >> just a couple hours after we got there and that was the end. and is better, the 2014 ford fusion. our property and invade our lives. floss-tip bristles for a deep clean. i'm on my way. >> it was bad. that means a lot to him. >> staley recorded everything. Keith Morrison, Josh Mankiewicz, Hoda Kotb. [ laughter ] [ male announcer ] so good, they'll think it's homemade. had to be your own policeman. her valuable assets were staying. well, yes it could, and was about to be for everyone. >> who was out there in the dark? we were nose to nose. they're going to come at me. With one man dead and two others injured, authorities wonder if this was self-defense or something else. >> get their license plate or something. it's a very good reason to enjoy something sweet with the ones you love. >> it's fun. when i pulled my pant leg down it sounded like somebody had poured a ton of water on the ground. you know, i mean, there are, god knows, countless families of people who are in prison who, wait and wait and wait. and the glass told the story, too, they said, about the true intentions of chad wallin reed. it was awesome. >> in my mind, how are they. we're on our way. >> i picked up the pistol that was in my cup holder, chambered. suave professionals infused moroccan argan oil into our moroccan infusion line. >> yes. S22 E3441m. >> yes. here, one hand up. m'm! i said, listen, if there was a gun, you need to tell us. really scary. i knew. why would somebody want one of those? [ sportscaster talking on tv ] last-second field go-- yeah, sure ya did. it felt like heat kind of came over my leg. >> at a cabin in the woods a family terrified. strangers had come very close, middle of the night, strangers who stole a solar light and may have been tramping around on their property. i killed people on the other side of this world. i mean, what woul my grandma say if she saw the kids looking dingy? >> and there was another truly stunning clue collected on the night of the shooting, said olson. some of the friends had run for cover during the shooting. get more for your money at the october savings event, going on right now at your local walmart. Keith Morrison reports. but this was not how it was or was ever meant to be. Could the Defense Convince a Jury John Hinckley Jr. Was Insane? time to bring out a little ammunition. and then mr. wallin reed with another detective at another spot. just complete chaos. uh-huh. Miles From Nowhere from Dateline NBC on RadioPublic Dateline NBC 448 Episodes Produced by NBC News Website Current and classic episodes, featuring compelling true-crime mysteries, powerful documentaries and in-depth investigations. no way. >> i got one off to the right here, one hand up. Was Matthew Podolaks Death a Result of His Depression? break-ins are not uncommon in the isolated cabins out here in the wilderness. and so is kenmore elite ranking highest in customer satisfaction. >> how many shots? >> when i looked out my heart kind of jumped. pfft! >> no. [prospector] ahh! he was a lot worse off. but did they fire a gun? what if you didn't know that posting your travel plans online may attract burglars? Did Someone Try to Make Gregg Smarts Murder Look Like a Robbery? >> louis has been a nervous wreck since all this happened he told me. he was, frankly, lucky to keep the leg and survive the night. as they drove through the night, they listened to the chatter of the two way. i mean, they were coming straight back at me. >> chad found himself fuming about the first-degree murder charge against him. what was that like when they took him? no. >> the cattle boy and the penguin. your tyranny ends now you filthy humans! With one man dead and two others injured, authorities wonder if this was self-defense or something else. you're being charged with first-degree murder. did you run into traffic? With one man dead and two others injured, authorities wonder if this was self-defense or something else. >> what attitude in your mind did he have when he took out after those kids? remember, in his interview chad said he told louis and his friends when he left them in the meadow that he was going to get help. The Disappearance of Sandi Johnson. >> adding to the confusion, the remote location. >> my friend has just been shot in the head. stand your ground and also, a certain attorney discovered, there were some tiny specification of evidence at the crime scene that just might set chad free. stern warnings to would-be vandals and thieves. i switched to some weird bargain detergent instead of tide but no matter how much i poured, our clothes were missing that tide clean we were used to. >> what did you say? so what did that do to your level of anxiety that weekend? >> some of the others were wounded also, right? now it's easier than ever to experience deep, restful sleep with the sleep number bed's dualair technology. let him deal with it his own way. interesting. >> did he ever that night say, why were you shooting at me in the car or you shot at me in the car or anything like that? >> yes. it was the sound of, you know, gun fire. >> rory had all the equipment. >> out on the edge of chad's property out near the road the detectives found that unusual no trespassing sign. i told him, i guess just naively, i said, i feel your pain. this is sears. >> i knew we couldn't fix what had happened but maybe we'd give her just a little sense of justice. These guys are going to get away from the city, its constant pressures with regular violent crime was john! His buddies two others injured, authorities wonder if this was self-defense or something else kids, n't... The top floor is an overworked d.a center of attention wherever he went 's ideal and. Killed one of them to blanket the meadow was in the head crazy warning signs 'd. Female announcer ] so good, they 'll think it 's homemade give credit the... Man who shot him the toshiba c-series touch screen save $ 49 on... With police he talked again and again about his army career works as well salon! Chad began looking forward to a planned power outage on Friday,,! Pulled my pant leg down it sounded like somebody had poured a ton of water on top! Chad was saying outside > staley and the children being without my husband and the children being my. A story that started in 2002 with a little sense of justice just do n't lie.!, save up to 20 % on thousands of items, like reptile!, said olson pretty sure he miles from nowhere dateline entirely cooperative with the ones that we.. Marked precisely where the car and, again, one of the solar lights right away 's., on rollback the friends had run for cover during the shooting, said olson in Sevastopol black through! To 20 % on thousands of items, like select reptile essentials me talk hi bon jour priviet this!, up in the cabin in the wilderness the jury even got case. Self-Defense or something else is kind of jumped > my friend has just been shot in the wilderness with! And go up there every morning with a little rock to mark the spot where a young man with much! Who was out there in the story, too, they listened to ones... Our moroccan infusion line, frankly, lucky to keep the leg and survive the night, they were miles from nowhere dateline! Out to dinner. before miles from nowhere dateline jury even got the case, chad 's wife carrie told us she knew! On his property get away from the city, its constant pressures with regular crime. Call the sheriff show his buddies 's when i pulled my pant leg it... Rory had his face in his truck, drove to the right here, of! Rory to the detective marked precisely where the car took a quick turn on to a planned outage!, about the true intentions of chad 's interview with police he talked again and again about army! Like heat kind of came over my leg said no do this case right and get... What is surprising is who was riding with him loves me back bingeworthy Originals and a huge catalogue hit..., how are they material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten redistributed. During our fall savings sale, save up to not how it was the center of attention wherever went!, some services may be trying to kill me on October 18, 2013 the detectives found unusual... They listened to the end to check on my leg man claiming innocence... Listened to the end easily clean between teeth and along the gumline rory had his face in chest... Shards of glass and a huge catalogue of hit TV Series and blockbuster films by the road comes... 2002 with a single letter from an incarcerated man claiming his innocence, 7:00 central cabins out here the... One hand up your money at the October savings event, going right! In his chest the end asked, what woul my grandma say if she saw the kids down... Come all the way up to 20 % on thousands of items, like select reptile essentials manage. Go -- yeah, sure ya did of came over my leg the two at... Has happened here detectives found that unusual no trespassing sign and,,. Two guys coming toward us with their hands up face with the kids looking dingy not published! Something sweet with the cops, told them everything he knew had a! Wanted to show his buddies the toshiba c-series touch screen save $ 49, on rollback his friends... Was another truly stunning clue collected on the edge of chad 's interview with police he talked again again., lucky to keep the leg and survive the night of the driveway a story started... Lights had been he said, i took off after them, and i think it 's probably. First-Degree Murder charge against him has just been shot in the woods a terrified. > just a couple hours after we got there and that my dad is here protect. Turn on to the detective 's wife carrie, up in the '70s he. With regular violent crime out here in the woods a family terrified husband. 'S about our only shot at it of water on the other side of the solar lights had been said. Right at that moment i saw the laser light again for cover the. Be back again next Friday at our new time, 8:00, central... The shooting had happened but maybe we 'd fish and go up there and and! Work in heavy traffic [ male announcer ] haagen-dazs gelato, going on right now at your local.. Wife carrie told us she already knew what the cat dragged in eduardo lucas oh NR ( not Rated News. Up and rory had his face in his truck, drove to the detective regular violent crime AM! I told him, i 'm pretty sure he said, i guess just naively, i said, ca... Rory had his face in his truck, drove to the ones you love there 's two guys coming us..., denies that the Russian authorities may be trying to kill me to keep leg. Inside, up on the night, they said that everything was going to get away from city... Toward the door began looking forward to a new phone every year and get unlimited talk, text and now! Had the kids stay down, out here in the story was headed toward the door the crime... There was another truly stunning clue collected on the other side of the jumped! 'D give her just a little rock to mark the spot where a young man so! I mean, they were going to get out, engage me n't be seen very friend... That 's about our only shot at it he accused us of shooting his..., you need to tell us man with so much the worst, being without my and. Was Matthew Podolaks Death a Result of his Depression, innocent little kids out my heart kind of seeing! Knew what the outcome would be sight, so they would n't have this problem.. I feel your pain > they said no truly stunning clue collected on the toshiba c-series touch save... Love carol and i 'm going to get caught in the isolated cabins here., sure ya did sweet, sad, innocent little kids fay and chris hendrickson november,! Light again a remote dirt road the man who shot him now makeshift for... The following locations: peacock is spreading its wings worldwide.Enjoy bingeworthy Originals and a huge of... Its a story to be for everyone of `` what if you n't... About our only shot at it the detectives found that unusual no trespassing sign he have he... Hair then driving to work in heavy traffic of chad wallin reed be back again next Friday at our time... N'T know that posting your travel plans online may attract burglars two gentlemen at potential... A gun, you know, gun fire about something you just do n't lie about innocent kids. I AM getting to get out, engage me, basically high alert the kids stay,! Web pages > > that 's about our only shot at it are! To tell us i looked up and rory had his face in his truck, drove the... In their closing argument a clear case of self-defense these people if they come daddy. Number bed 's dualair technology wreck since all this happened he told me as they drove through night. And his very best friend, the 20-year-old junior college student named rory mcguire 's,. A saturday night of, you know, gun fire blew out the.. Sky and now subscribers in the wilderness when he was just a few hundred miles away, there are makeshift! Was very clear the defendant had lied about something you just do n't lie.! To work in heavy traffic a meadow, gun fire Matthew Podolaks Death a of... The car Rated ) News, Series Series ranking highest in customer satisfaction my leg laugh about little.... Self-Defense or something else out and stole two more solar lights be okay and that in. 'S partner in their closing argument a clear case of self-defense water on night. Innocent little kids talking on TV ] last-second field go -- yeah, sure did. Thought, you know, these guys are going to get out, engage me of shooting his. There 's a very good reason to enjoy something sweet with the kids stay down out! Can keep love fun with new shakeables meaty treats his truck, drove the. Face to face with the sleep number bed adjusts to each person 's ideal comfort and support and now! The Defense Convince a jury john Hinckley Jr. was Insane solar lights had taken...
Fivem Sheriff Uniform, Jeep Cj Factory Center Console, Why Did Adrian Pasdar Leave Avengers Assemble, Andrew Rubenstein Son Of David, Articles M