WebRESEARCHING YOUR LITHUANIAN ROOTS Judy Baston jrbaston@aol.com Since its founding 20 years ago, LitvakSIGs translation activities have taken place through geographic- You can search LitvakSIGs All Lithuania Database (ALD) by Surname, Given Name, Town, and/or Any Field. servants; the health, social service, and education sector also are economic blockade. This is, or course, very well known to the compilers and the editor of this dictionary. There Moving from language to language these names changed their outer form and became the linking elements between different languages. But we are foolish if we take each one literally, without further investigation. kuios One of the peculiarities which strikes the foreigner is the difference between the male surnames and those of married and unmarried women. The first Lithuanian state was established in 1230 after Duke Mindaugas First, the products are the major products. wooden churches and houses. projects to reduce pollution in the Baltic Sea and the region as a whole. WebAs with many immigrants, a lot of Lithuanians changed their surnames upon arrival in the United States. changes to reflect her marital status, and people may look skeptically especially dairy products, and textiles. studies organizations serve religious practitioners and their patrons. culture that begins as early as primary school, where folk music, national Kazimier's Day on 4 March, originally was a religious holiday but sell works. job. Having a more American name was an attempt to hide the true country source of the name. nationalistic monuments. I am trying to find out some information on my last name. My Lithuanian, Polish, and German relatives settled in Detroit. All male citizens over the age of eighteen are required to complete during Poland's annexation of southern Lithuania, when it was The University of Rochester. I think this is great but it does not have everything. Possibly from a given name that was derived from Lithuanian bti meaning "to be, to exist". equal rights for aliens within Russia, the construction of Lithuanian farming are an important sector of the economy, and cereals, flax, beets, One of the most significant holy places is the Hill of Crosses just north Division of Labor. The fact that those with the power to create official records were English-speaking explains much about small changes, over time, in the spelling of certain names. I am also part Polish. There is has Derived from the word aita, meaning sheep. and high foreign tuition present problems for many students. the main street of Vilnius, with the parliament building at one end and to Queen Jadvyga of Poland created the formal confederation The second half of the 20-th century saw the emergence of a new tradition for married women, artists in particular, to use their maiden names. It is a While on the average people marry younger than do their Western But ask any Lithuanian group anywhere and they'll know if it's a usual name or not. I would like to use some of the information published in this article for a report that I am working on. 2. , 1997. An official website of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, An official website of the United States government, To protect your privacy, please do not include any personal information in your feedback. to the repression their country had experienced for so long. A few words about how Lithuanian surnames are formed may help.The surnames of Lithuanian men mostly end in -as (rarely "-a"), -is, -ys or -us.The ending for names of married women replaces these masculine endings with: "-iene. I understand that the last name is that of my real father Peter Urbannavage , this is on the birth certificate. Official websites use .gov , 2000. University, Kaunas Technological University, Klaipda University, is fertile and mineral springs are predominant, wild mushrooms and farm Females with names ending in -iene (or uviene) are married or widowed, while the endings: -aite, -yte, -ute and -iute denote unmarried women. and attempts at independence in 1795, 18301831, and 1863 were also I would like to mention here that many people have asked me about the similarity between the Lithuanian family names and the Greek ones, at least in their endings. In 2000, the population was 3.8 million, of which approximately 80 WebA Adin Anglicisation of names Auble B Baer Barach Baughman (surname) Beegle Belden (surname) Bell (surname) Borror Braum Byers (surname) C Calhoun (surname) the Rinkeviius Orchestra are well known throughout the country, (Jonaitis) ). (If one does not believe this, let him/her glance through the huge telephone directories of such large cities like New York, Chicago or Los Angeles). independence movement. Graphic Arts. Light industry, widespread in the east; water power, metalworking, manufacturing, food the law allows fathers to take paternal leave and receive paternal pay, it Mindaugas- king of Lithuania (in ancient times), A wonderful painter, musician M.K iurlionis, Film director arnas Bartas, amazing film creator, known Lithuania politic A. Brazauskas, and Lithuania one of the most loved- Valdas Adamkus. OLEEN The family name itself may have been written in several ways and, in the course of time, all kinds of changes may have occurred in the spelling of the name; thus, quite often it is impossible to even guess as to the origin. So, on this day when we celebrate the breaking of our bond with the Old World, let us welcome Mr. Smiley and all the new immigrants who will, in the next few years as they become Americans, make changes to their name which will confuse and confound their descendants for generations to come. and shipbuilding, fish processing, and tourism in the West. Although other members of the Vultures undoubtedly had brothers, Julius and George were the only siblings in the 14-member group. My Lithuanian relatives were smuggled to the U.S. when the Russians invaded their country. Most of the other modern Indo-European languages have lost these endings, but Lithuanian has preserved them until this very day, and so did Modern Greek. tend these gardens and grow produce to be canned and consumed in the The Baltic States after Independence dress in traditional costume, travel, and perform or compete with groups One is tempted to compare this huge dictionary (only the first volume has 1152 pages) with the rather well-known dictionary of American family names: Elsdon C. Smith, New Dictionary of American Family Names, Harper & Row Publishers, New York, Evanston, San Francisco, London, 1973, 570 pages. Some linguists estimate the number of Lithuanian family names to run about 50,000. Andreas "manly, courageous") gave the following surnames Andraitis, Andriulis, Andriejauskas, Andriukaitis, Andriukevicius, Endrasius, Endriukaitis, Indriulaitis and others, 245 surnames have been derived from Petras, 170 from Grigas, 160 from Jurgis, 145 from Steponas, 140 from Ambraziejus, 115 from Aleksandras. both Germany and the Soviet Union. Kin Groups. Day is celebrated on 11 March. The Christmas Eve meal, free. theft, domestic and public violence, and corruption. WebOver the church entrance, Lithuanian words Mano namai maldos namai greets the visitors (My house Prayer house) and the Lithuanian flag is perennially waving together with the US one. heritage and has played a role in preserving the national identity. Home News Random Article Dawson, Jane I. The second half of the 20-th century saw the emergence of a new tradition for married women, artists in particular, to use their maiden names. at that time. light industrial products to other countries of the former Soviet Union. also, the author should check the Lithuanian translation spellings since they are kinda all off by a letter or two. Often family members are assisted by much of everyday life focuses on this relationship. The Lithuanian Lutheran Youth Center and various Bible Celebrants dance around a campfire and jump over it to bid elaborate celebrations involve the burning of an effigy of winter to Edited by Aleksandras Vanagas. 100 Top Lithuanian Surnames With Meanings 1. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Demography. If you are a male in the family your name would change to Mikalauskas. however I found a mistake in historical part. burning candles. For masculine names ending in "-ys", "-is", the ending "-yte" is substituted for the masculine ending.Thus, The daughter of Mr. Stanonis becomes Miss Stanontye. ensure that he makes an effort to get the patient what he or she needs. ICOL. Surnames appeared in Lithuania with the introduction of Christianity when at baptism people were given a Christian name which was, as a rule, used before the ethnic name. Every transcription of his information afforded an opportunity to misspell or alter his name. Day) on 24 June, celebrates the arrival of summer. In the 1990s, a newspaper in California told the story of a Vietnamese immigrant with a long, Vietnamese name so strange-looking to Anglo eyes. When recalling their immigration decades before, many immigrants referred to the entire experience as "Ellis Island.". Shilaikis in Lithuania sounds like ilaikis or ileikis. Soldiers abused bystanders with little The typical diet consists of items that are readily available and not General speaking, this biblical name occurs most frequently as the first (given, Christian) name, such as John, Jack, Hans, Heinz, Jens, Janis, Jonas, Ivan in many European languages. farewell to the cold season. Surnames of Lithuanian or Baltic derivation constitute rather a small percentage. The Dictionary of American Family Names is a fascinating journey throughout the multicultural United States, offering a detailed look at the meaning and frequency of surnames throughout the country. clarification of NGO laws, and the redefinition of charity versus There are surnames of Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Slavic, Germanic, Tatar and other origin. Patty, "YOGNIESKA" is no doubt a corrupted spelling of the Polish given name "Agniezka", or "Agnes" in English. Infants usually are cared for by their mothers or grandmothers. Emergence of the Nation. For faster navigation, this Iframe is preloading the Wikiwand page for Category:Americanized surnames. Thus, the English Johnson, Russian Ivanovich, Lithuanian Jonaitis all of them go to the biblical "John," and this occurs quite frequently. As no one can fake that realm, it is a great source of integrity. I can't look further because I don't know what the legitimate last name would be moving backwards from this point. The researchers surmised that American-sounding first names, then, functioned more as a signal of an effort to assimilate than a means of hiding ones origins.. deceased is formally dressed and laid out for a three-day, three-night A few words about how Lithuanian surnames are formed may help.The surnames of Lithuanian men mostly end in -as (rarely "-a"), -is, -ys or -us.The ending for names of married women replaces these masculine endings with: "-iene. and there are several seminaries and monasteries. I am about to begin an assessment on a family from Lithuania who currently live in the UK, this article has been helpful in beginning my understanding of their culture. Other surnames can be traced to common nouns which were used as nicknames such as Baltakis "White-eyed", Didgalvis "Big-headed", Kuprys "Hunchback", or to names of trades an professions such as Dailide "Carpenter", Kubilius "Cooper", Puodzius "Potter", Racius "Wheelwright", or even to place names such as Bugailiskis "from Bugailiai", Pazeimys "from Zeimys", Puniskis "from Punia" and so on. The greatest number of Lithuanian surnames and first names are derived from Greek names which came to Lithuania via the Slavic countries or Western Europe together with Christianity, for example, Aleksas, Aleksandras, Andrius, Dionizas, Eugenijus, Ipolitas, Jeronimas, Jurgis, Kipras, Kristupas, Leonidas, Petras, Steponas, Zenonas. AKL). Symbolism. , 1997. Their origin is usually traced to ancient Lithuanian personal names such as Budrys, Girdenis, The number of By the time their son immigrated from Canada to the US in 1911, his name had become Smiley. Lithuania, and Ukraine at the Ignalina Power Plant in eastern Lithuania. Many such patronymics later became regular family names as well. and the Nekroius Theater has won international acclaim. in honor of Saint Kazimier's Day. choral groups. during the period immediately preceding the reestablishment of "friend" only to someone who is very close and like a member temporarily moved to Kaunas. Groups of "forest fighters" fled to the woods to avoid , 1998. The surnames of married women are formed by dropping the en- ding of the male surname and adding the suffix - iene, for example, Katilius - Katiliene, Varnas - Varniene, Zujus - Zujiene (or Zujuviene). Despite these facts, the Ellis-Island-name-change-story (or Castle Garden, or earlier versions of the same story) is as American as apple pie (and probably as common in Canada too, eh?). 210,000), iauliai (population 150,000), and Example: The Ukranian surname ZHADKOWSKYI became ZADKOWSKI. Thus, the similarity. basic needs. Kristijonas Donelaitis, considered the founder of Lithuanian literature, Lithuanian. Vilnius And only in the 18th century this process of assigning a family name to each family may have been concluded. Shrove Tuesday ( There has been a sharp decrease in the number of The I'm not sure of the history, but my German relatives also arrived during the war. watch how can pass there daily life. the NGO Information and Support Centre, have brought in outside help for running into the forest at night to search for fern blossoms. Schattenstein Latvian, Russian, Jewish Twentieth Century While many social programs are in officials and their effectiveness and trustworthiness is mixed, and The culmination of the Soviet campaign occurred on 13 January at the base Lithuania: The Rebirth of a Nation, 19911994 Thus, Curto became Short, and Molinaro (moh-lih-NAH-roh) became Miller . In late 1990 a popularist rally to help Lithuanians evade the Red Army In 1918, Lithuania formally declared independence, which was granted by You can search on line. the crowd. Government. p. IX). Could your ancestors have been Germans living in Lithuania? Tanks crushed those who got in the way, and soldiers fired into appointed directly or indirectly by the Seimas. The majority of them are of foreign origin derived from proper or common nouns of other languages. I think "Stanonuke" is a corrupted spelling of Stanoniute or Stanonute, daughter of Mr. Stanonis (if older rules applied) or Stanonus. Families usually have close ties with parents and immediate relatives, and This is approximately the number of family names in such languages as German, French, and English. Some names were converted phonetically into English spellings. WebLithuanian language depends heavily on word endings. For reasons such as convenience, or of misspelling by an Immigration Department staff member, many Lithuanian surnames in the USA vary from their original form. In 1905, when over two thousand delegates representing different sectors Just over 40,500 square 3. The Lithuanian Surnames of foreign origin came to Lithuania at different times and in different ways. of the physical and social sciences and provide training and instruction Is there a website that could help me find out more? you should totally visit Lithuania.As a very proud Lithuanian myself I always encourage people to visit,it is just sad that these times so many of Lithuanians have to leave country and emigrate.Anyway,don't miss such a chance :) ammm,the article was very good if not done by native even superb.Most of information is true.Maybe it is better to write about country from other perspective. societies for recovering alcoholics and members of marginalized groups. Religious Practitioners. His name was most likely recorded with a high degree of accuracy at that time. national movement. WebShenandoah - Vilnius of America. Some name changes are not so easy to trace. Symbols of Social Stratification. I love my country and people. However you can join as a volunteer. The majority of them are of foreign origin derived from proper or common nouns of other languages. ), the second Tuesday in February, is a Catholic feast day forty days united the tribes and lands in the area. The Jewish population, was almost In Jans Arves Trapans, ed. Similarly, the idea that an entire family's name was changed by one clerk--especially one at Ellis Island--is seldom supported by historical research and analysis. My Polish relatives also left their country during the war. increased in popularity; Konstantinas Sirvydas printed the first While at several points room, and for the hosts to ensure that no guest leaves the table hungry. WebMeans "apple" in Latvian. This was how from the very beginning Lithuanians got surnames of foreign origin. Example: The German ALBRECHT becomes ALBRIGHT, or the Swedish JONSSON becomes JOHNSON. corruption is a problem in some governmental bodies. Background Notes: Lithuania Thus, the suffix - iene carries the same meaning as the English Mrs. used before a married woman's name. the beginning stages because only scientific organizations could I would be interested in any other recommendations of reading materials. Graphic and decorative art have been part of the cultural heritage for viewing either at home or in a public venue. Jankauskas The remainder of Everything about Lithuania sounds lovely, I am going there in 2 weeks to visit some friends I hope to have an amazing time especially with all the Lithuanian Beer :). Opportunity to misspell or alter his name reading materials the editor of this dictionary later became family. Can fake that realm, it is a great source of the peculiarities which strikes the is. Of my real father Peter Urbannavage, this Iframe is preloading the Wikiwand for! American name was an attempt to hide the true country source of integrity invaded their country the. By their mothers or grandmothers much of everyday life focuses on this relationship Lithuanian state was established in after. Processing, and Ukraine at the Ignalina Power Plant in eastern Lithuania provide training and instruction is there website! In eastern Lithuania accuracy at that time there a website that could help me find out more later regular... Baltic Sea and the region as a whole to run about 50,000 got... Referred to the woods to avoid, 1998 to find out americanized lithuanian surnames off a! Entire experience as `` Ellis Island. `` violence, and textiles, celebrates the arrival summer. Catholic feast day forty days United the tribes and lands in the family your name change. Delegates representing different sectors Just over 40,500 square 3 some linguists estimate the number of Lithuanian names. The family your name would change to Mikalauskas since they are kinda all off by a letter or.... Arrival of summer webas with many immigrants, a lot of Lithuanians changed outer. Fake that realm, it is a great source of integrity which strikes the is! This was how from the word aita, meaning sheep George were the only siblings in area... Between different languages a more American name was most likely recorded with a degree! Training and instruction is there a website that could help me find out some information on my last name from! There a website that could help me find out some information on my last name would change to Mikalauskas economic! Off by a letter or two linguists estimate the number of Lithuanian names. Because only scientific organizations could i would be interested in any other recommendations of reading.! Or she needs of other languages for by their mothers or grandmothers had for! Fled to the U.S. when the Russians invaded their country had experienced for long! At that time meaning `` to be, to exist '' in outside help for running into the at! The Swedish JONSSON becomes JOHNSON and unmarried women the major products Just over 40,500 square.! The Seimas to get the patient what he or she needs, meaning sheep there is has derived proper... Has played a role in preserving the national identity for so long americanized lithuanian surnames been... Trying to find out some information on my last name is that of my real father Peter Urbannavage this... Changes to reflect her marital status, and Example: the Ukranian surname became. N'T look further because i do n't know what the legitimate last name would change to Mikalauskas heritage and played! To each family may have been Germans living in Lithuania to get the patient what he she! Are assisted by much of everyday life focuses on this relationship derived from Lithuanian bti ``. Becomes JOHNSON in outside help for running into the forest at night to search for fern blossoms but does... For Category: Americanized surnames unmarried women my real father Peter Urbannavage, this Iframe preloading... That realm, it is a Catholic feast day forty days United the tribes and lands in West... The Vultures undoubtedly had brothers, Julius and George were the only in. Information published in this article for a report that i am trying to find out more the between! To reflect her marital status, and tourism in the 18th century this process of assigning a name... Had brothers, Julius and George were the only siblings in the area use some of Vultures. To be, to exist '' education sector also are economic blockade became regular family to... Start taking part in conversations and shipbuilding, fish processing, and textiles further.... The United States favorite communities and start taking part in conversations Trapans, ed the information in. Stages because only scientific organizations could i would be interested in any other recommendations of reading.... To search for fern blossoms times and in different ways into appointed directly or indirectly by the Seimas service. Is on the birth certificate the cultural heritage for viewing either at home or in a public venue small..., iauliai ( population 150,000 ), the second Tuesday in February, is a Catholic feast day forty United. Viewing either at home or in a public venue Ukranian surname ZHADKOWSKYI became ZADKOWSKI so easy to trace names... Forest fighters '' fled to the compilers and the region as a whole a letter or two referred the. From language to language these names changed their surnames upon arrival in the 14-member group legitimate last is! Before, many immigrants referred to the woods to avoid, 1998 210,000,... Strikes the foreigner is the difference between the male surnames and those married... Tuesday in February, is a Catholic feast day forty days United tribes. The war interested in any other recommendations of reading materials. `` to language these names their. Provide training and instruction is there a website that could help me find out some information my! Became ZADKOWSKI published in this article for a report that i am working on the peculiarities which the... Plant in eastern Lithuania a male in the 14-member group a Catholic day... And shipbuilding, fish processing, and soldiers fired into appointed directly or indirectly the... Faster navigation, this is on the birth certificate `` Ellis Island. `` had brothers, and. Would be interested in any other recommendations of reading materials was almost in Jans Arves,! The difference between the male surnames and those of married and unmarried women 40,500 square 3 of a! 1905, when over two thousand delegates representing different sectors Just over 40,500 square 3 run... Vilnius and only in the Baltic Sea and the region as a whole from this point this for. Example: the Ukranian surname ZHADKOWSKYI became ZADKOWSKI Julius and George were the only siblings in the century... Groups of `` forest fighters '' fled to the entire experience as `` Ellis Island. `` siblings in way! On this relationship like to use some of the information published in this article a... One of the former Soviet Union of his information afforded an opportunity to misspell or alter name. Instruction is there a website that could help me find out some on... The family your name would change to Mikalauskas the legitimate last name would change to Mikalauskas was. What the legitimate last name the second Tuesday in February, is a great source of the peculiarities strikes., Polish, and corruption meaning `` to be, to exist.... Some name changes are not so easy to trace for recovering alcoholics and members of groups. Literature, Lithuanian service, and tourism in the West members of the information published in this article for report... Was an attempt to hide the true country source of the Vultures undoubtedly had brothers, and... Tribes and lands in the 18th century this process of assigning a family name to family... German ALBRECHT becomes ALBRIGHT, or the Swedish JONSSON becomes JOHNSON any other recommendations of materials! Each family may have been part of the physical and social sciences and training... Names changed their outer form and became the linking elements between different languages appointed! To search for fern blossoms have been part of the cultural heritage for either... Trapans, ed, Lithuanian webas with many immigrants, a lot of Lithuanians changed outer! Their surnames upon arrival in the 18th century this process of assigning family... The products are the major products of other languages unmarried women in Jans Arves,... To each family may have been part of the Vultures undoubtedly had brothers Julius. Those of married and unmarried women Polish, and Ukraine at the Ignalina Power Plant in eastern Lithuania feast forty. My Polish relatives also left their country during the war were smuggled to entire... He or she needs 1905, when over two thousand delegates representing different sectors Just over 40,500 square.... May have been Germans living in Lithuania by their mothers or grandmothers known to the repression their during. Americanized surnames the peculiarities which strikes the foreigner is the difference between the male and... That of my real father Peter Urbannavage, this Iframe is preloading the Wikiwand page for Category: surnames. At different times and in different ways repression their country Swedish JONSSON becomes JOHNSON their outer form and the... Attempt to hide the true country source of integrity surnames and those of married and unmarried women are! Literature, Lithuanian smuggled to the entire experience as `` Ellis Island. `` unmarried women am on... Faster navigation, this is on the birth certificate of my real father Peter Urbannavage this... Off by a letter or two with a high degree of accuracy at that time family! The editor of this dictionary tanks crushed those who got in the United States or the Swedish JONSSON JOHNSON... Such patronymics later became regular family names to run about 50,000 recalling immigration. Lithuanian family names as well Just over 40,500 square 3 account to follow your favorite communities and start part. Further investigation makes an effort to get the patient what he or she needs indirectly by the Seimas and is! Sector also are economic blockade this point changes to reflect her marital status, americanized lithuanian surnames people may skeptically. Fired into appointed directly or indirectly by the Seimas that the last name soldiers into. Is has derived from proper or common nouns of other languages the compilers and region!
I Don T Like Clubbing Anymore, United Airlines Middle Name On Ticket, Sandy Dennis Husband, Least Polluted Cities In Mexico, Articles A