I believe Brooks and Crystal Lite are still together (based on her social media). The FBI announced that they had uncovered multiple items of interest. Curious passersby frequently tried to stop for a peek in the early days of the search and were turned away. Bardstown Police Department Officer Jason Ellis was headed home to Bloomfield around 2 a.m. after his shift on May 25, 2013. And it kind of gave us hope that okay they hadn't forgotten and we're heading in the right direction now.. They're reportedly searching three properties owned by Rogers' ex-boyfriend, Brooks Houck, in addition to properties owned by his brother, former Bardstown police officer Nick Houck, and their mother, Rosemary Houck. Her father Tommy Ballard was shot in the chest and killed. Agents returned to the Woodlawn Springs neighborhood in Bardstown as they continue to search for clues in the case of missing mother Crystal Rogers. We've talked about it at length. tower cafe sacramento; galley pirate blox fruits. A security checkpoint was set up on Freeman Avenue, the only way to access North and South Howard streets, which are both dead-end roads. The FBI, in a show of force, took over the investigation. Brooks was questioned early on by Nelson County Sheriffs Office Lead Detective Jon Snow. She's come to have passion for shining a light on areas that would probably prefer to be dark. "I've covered the absolute most horrible things that have ever happened to them. "My mom is a very special woman," Rogers' daughter, K., wrote on a new website dedicated to the investigation. Toensurethe safety of the public, he got out of his vehicle to clear the branches. The person or persons who killed them is still on the loose. In 2017, Kentucky State Police hired former troopers to investigate the cases of both Rogers and Jason Ellis, a Bardstown police officer who was ambushed in 2013 and killed by at least two. In July 2017, Brooks new girlfriend, Crystal Maupin was arrested. Kentucky wont get an elite NCAA Tournament seed. In 2019,the home owned by Brooks Houck was burned down inwhat city officials said was arson. RELATED: 2016: Three year anniversary of Officer Jason Ellis' murder marked with candlelight vigil RELATED: Who Is Carla Walker? On May 25, 2013, after a late arrest and having put a prisoner in the Bardstown jail, Ellis called off his shift and headed home. McAlister said her involvement with the Rogers case poured the foundation for the work she's gone on to do and the work she continues to do in journalism and beyond. Crystal Maupin was charged with theft by unlawful taking. A graduate of the University of Missouri she was ready to get to work telling stories. He was pronounced dead at the scene on a farm located on Ed Brent Lane. But the two still showed up daily, staying well into the evening and waving at workers as they drove excavators, trucks full of dirt and evidence trailers in and out of the otherwise quiet Kentucky neighborhood. I know remains were found near to were Crystal went missing, but they were found not to be hers. That included searches for Rogers body and any evidence they could find. On May 25 2013, Officer Jason Ellis was killed after finishing his shift for the Bardstown, Kentucky Police Department. "It was my bosses who told me to stay home as long as I wanted. Im innocent. All rights reserved. On July 9, Brooks did an interview with Nancy Grace. More than five years after a Kentucky mother of five vanished without a trace, and two weeks after human bones were found 4 miles from where she was last seen alive, FBI. The FBI started its investigation into Rogers disappearance by sending 150 law enforcement officers into Bardstown last year to conduct interviews and execute search warrants. and Tommy's death investigation will be solved quickly after Rogers' case is . March 9, 1997 Murderpedia Willa Jean Ferrier, Crystal Conaster, and Chris Boswell were shot and killed by John Roscoe Garland in McCreary Country, supposedly over jealousy. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. We are now at 2021 and Crystal will have been missing for 6 years this July. The FBI said it would keep searching as long as it takes to find evidence. Pineiroa declined to speculate when those results might come back. They were located near the Nelson/Washington County line, although the sheriffs office was not disclosing the exact location in order to preserve details of the investigation. He said when they got home, he went straight to bed, and Rogers stayed up playing games on her phone. If he is so innocent, like he says he is. Im 100 percent, completely innocent in this, he said. In Bardstown, the FBI has stepped in to help with the Crystal Rogers case and McAlister would like to think that the attention the murders received from the Bardstown podcast along with the determination of Crystal Rogers' family is to credit. I know Im not the mother, but the mothers not here and the fathers the number one suspect.. The search for Crystal still continues. Someone, perched on top of the stone cliff above him, fired a shotgun. In February, a Nelson County judge denied Ballard the right to visit Eli, citing animosity between families that could pose a significant risk of emotional harm to the child. About a year later, his grandmother refused to testify in relation to a vehicle that the authorities believed was hers and may have been used to dispose of a body. The sheriffs office hasnt been able to do more than name Houck a suspect years ago. Devoted and committed, Crystal worked two jobs to take care of her children. BARDSTOWN, Ky. - This week marks six months since a mother and her teenage daughter were murdered in their Kentucky home and still, police are no closer to solving the case than they were on. The image of seeing your best friend, your best partner it never goes away, she said. Slight chance of a rain shower. The area also provided good cover, as it was located between rock walls covered in brush. It was Crystals mother, Sherry, who went to the authorities. We want to thank the FBI for their assistance and teamwork over the last 18 plus months. Please add name and any info that you. 2. George Weir was also found guilty. By Samantha Maffucci Written on May 29, 2019. Her car was found on the side of a busy parkway with a flat tire, keys, wallet and phone still inside. Rogers had five children. Both are serving life sentences in prison, Till said. Buy HD $2.99 More purchase options 3. The FBI and its law enforcement partners are seeking information about the murder of Kentucky police officer Jason Ellis. Houck's brother, Nick, was a police officer with the Bardstown Police Department at the time and was fired after interfering in the investigation. You may also contact your local FBI office, or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate. She hadnt been seen or heard from since July 3, according to the FBI. The agency planned to resume the search once the weather improved. One of the photos is of a smiling Ellis in his uniform, a photo that has been printed onto cards that Medley carries with him and hands out to people who may have information. And authorities have been left without closure for six years now. She would do anything she wasnt the type to look at people different.. Sherry spoke to Oxygen in March 2021 and said that shes been denied visitation rights based on a claim made by Houcks camp that the child once heard something negative being said about Houck while visiting Ballard. Kentucky State Police took the lead on the investigation right away. Officer Ellis was discovered by a passing motorist. Nestled between the post office and the Shell Gas Station, Bourbon City Kitchen and Trade Company is a hidden gem of Cox's Creek and Nelson Co. Houck has full custody of the child he had with Rogers. On Nancy Graces show, Houck said he went to a July Fourth party without Rogers and was planning to check with others about Rogers if she remained absent for more than a day or a day-and-a-half. New Details About The Murder Cold Case That May Be Solved After 45 Years. State investigators initially received dozens of tips, interviewed individuals that Ellis had arrested, and tracked down leads all across the country. Nov 2, 2018 LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A three-judge panel of the Kentucky Court of Appeals ruled Friday that the 6-year-old son of Crystal Rogers, the Bardstown woman who disappeared in. No immediate answers came out of the searches as Rogers family dealt with the six-year anniversary of her disappearance. Feb 21, 2023. All rights reserved. was burned down inwhat city officials said was arson, Jason Ellis, aBardstown police officerwho wasambushed in 2013, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. >> PREVIOUS STORY: Arrest made 3 years after Bardstown nightclub homicide, Thats when we were kind of like oh my gosh really? Heather Hill, Unselds daughter said. The Nelson County Sheriffs Office announced that Brooks Houck was the main suspect in Crystals disappearance. Michael Medley, its a night that continues to haunt him. The search has focused on homes built and previously owned by Brooks. Samantha Maffucci is an editor for YourTangowho focuses on writing trending news and entertainmentpieces. They knew Tommy wasnt going to stop.. It was women from a million different parts of her life who came together and held her up, McAlister said. Nelson County Sheriff Ramon Pineiroa said the remains were located in an area he characterized as difficult to discover.He said his office was not going to speculate on whose remains they might be. Two people have been arrested and charged in the murder of Michael Wayne Unseld, 61. And interestingly, Crystals aunt went missing from the area in 1979.Freda Sharene Sherry Ballard, went missing from Bardstown, according to The Kentucky Standard. McAlister, who continues to cover the Rogers' case and would later come to learn, investigate and follow all the unsolved cases in Bardstown, talked with the Times-Tribune about what it's been like trying to uncover the truth and juggling the lines between professional and personal as a journalist. The first murder occurred in 2013, when Ellis, a 33-year-old husband . Read More: How Did Taylor Robinson Die? It was women like Sherry Ballard," she admitted. We want to solve this case for them and bring this person to justice and find out why they did this. - The FBI has found an "item of interest" during a property search for missing Bardstown mother Crystal Rogers. Surveillance video captured Brooks vehicle getting there at around 7:20 PM and leaving just before midnight. Bardstown is at the center of five unsolved deaths and disappearances, including that of Crystal Rogers, and they continue to inspire speculation, gossip and intrigue far beyond the county line. On the days that are the best, with the best news and on the days with the worst news of their lives, I'm there.". But he was an excellent father who was very protective., He always wanted to please the people he was building a home for, even if he had to go the extra mile, Ballard said. The relationship with these friends and family members has evolved over time to one where McAlister said she used to just keep in touch to get updates on the case, to one where now she's keeping in touch, making sure they are ok. "As a human it's difficult to draw a boundary and keep a boundary especially in a case like this where we've known each other for five years," McAlister said. July 3, 2015, seemed like a typical day at the outset for her. "Out of respect for family members of multiple missing persons in these areas, we will not be commenting on this until we have more information from the lab," the office said in a statement. Hill and Unseld are both processing the new development. McAlister knew the podcast would do well in Kentucky because listeners here are hungry for answers but she had no idea that it would get national recognition. Just like our community we were hopeful it would assist in answers and closure in Crystal Rogers case. Email Email. Nick later told the Kentucky State Police that he only contacted his brother to tell him that they might be trying to trip him up and he should protect himself. Nick then failed a polygraph test conducted by an examiner from the FBI when questioned about the case. Till Ballard told the Herald-Leader that Tommy believed someone was following him that week. People say it gets easier. On May252013, Officer Jason Ellis waskilledafter finishing his shift for the Bardstown, Kentucky Police Department. Weve been through it, Till Ballard said. "The memory that will forever be in my heart is going to DQ and buying my momma lunch. The FBI is continuing to investigate the Crystal Rogers case. She was an excellent mother, Ballard said. On Friday August 16, 2019, Bardstown police arrested Robert Tate, 26, and charged him with murder. Im 100 percent completely innocent in this, and I have exhausted my efforts with the law enforcement agencies to gather all the facts necessary to allow me to have a clean name again, Houck said on Graces show. The Nelson County Sheriffs Office will continue to be the lead agency on the human remains case. He told me, he said, Dad, Ill spend my last dollar to find her.. The brutal killings of a Nelson County mother and daughter have not been solved after almost five years, but Kentucky State Police and family members cling to hope. The checkpoint was staffed around the clock by the Nelson County sheriffs office during the day and by Kentucky State Police at night. It was early enough in the morning that it was still dark when Tommy was shot, Ballard said. Walden said the FBIs involvement brought hope again. Till Ballard echoed that confidence in the FBI. I just want to see my grandson. . Beast Files Police officer Jason Ellis was gunned down in cold blood on a lonely stretch of highway. Its mind blowing, Unseld said. James and Michelle Butler: The Senseless Murder of 21-Year-Navy Veteran and Wife. We have had a stressed relationship at times, and one of the ways that Crystal has always chose to deal with that is by going to her cousin whom shes very close to, Houck told Grace in a phone interview. High 64F. The Nelson County Sheriff released this statement: Today, we received word from the FBI that the human remains, which were located at the Washington County/Nelson County line were not those of Crystal Rogers. Around July 5 or 6 (again, this varies depending on which article you read), police held a press conference about the case. Out of respect for multiple families, we will not be commenting until we have results, Pineiroa said. Speaking in the wake of the Ballard shooting, longtime Bardstown resident Betty Greenwell told WDRB, All these killings and murders and things going on here it makes you nervous. If he liked you, hed give you the shirt off his back.. They recovered two items of interest that were sent for examination. "It makes you listen and explain in a different way," said McAlister through tears. Jeremy Chisenhall covers criminal justice and breaking news for the Lexington Herald-Leader and Kentucky.com. He wouldnt take a dime from her, Ballard said. . NELSON COUNTY, Ky. (WAVE) - It has been seven years since mother and daughter were brutally murdered in Nelson County in the small community of Botland. The inmate also revealed that at least four men were hired to kill Ellis, but didnt reveal his connection to them. August 2015 and Crystal is still missing. He exited the Bluegrass Parkway at Exit 34 and found the ramp blocked with trees. Crystal Rogers disappeared on July 3, 2015 and weeks later McAlister would begin to cover the case. They havent seen him for three months. michael lombard actor obituary; justinas duknauskas biography; organic valley grassmilk yogurt discontinued "For those individuals who have information about this incident but who have not yet spoken to law enforcement for whatever reason, please contact us.". Who Killed Jason Ellis? Hill and her brother Michael Unseld have waited and wondered for three years who killed their father and why. Tommys murder is still unsolved to this day and the FBI are involved in his death: After his daughter, Crystal Rogers, disappeared in July 2015, Tommy Ballard created Team Crystal, a group of Bardstown, Kentucky, community members dedicated to finding Crystal and bringing her home. When he stopped to pick up debris in the road (that is said to have been intentionally put there,) a gunman shot and killed him. Low 51F. Nelson County Sheriffs detectives arrested Crystal Maupin on Friday. According to FBI Louisville, the discovery was made during day four of the search. Business Advisory; Business Valuation; Corporate Finance; Cash Flow Modelling; M&A Advisory; Venture Capital; Private & Public Partnerships; Owner Supervision And Internal Control The case is still unsolved. But he never reported her missing. All of us went to the police station and reported her missing, Till Ballard said. I just knew she wasnt. BARDSTOWN, Ken. This is to compile a list of of the names of the unsolved murders in Nelson Co. Nick was not cooperative with the police, and as per the show, Nick was later seen following Brooks to the family farm in his police cruiser. In a statement, the agency reiterated that "several items of. An unknown subject fired one shot and hit Ballard in the chest and instantly killed him. A part of me wants to hold back on that because I dont know Im scared of the let down. Ellis spent years in Williamsburg as a star baseball player for Cumberland College, now University of the Cumberlands. But the Ballards repeatedly said he was the last person to see Rogers alive, and the Nelson County sheriffs office identified him as a suspect. Till and Betty said Sharene was seven-and-a-half months pregnant at the time. McAlister said she's learned that everybody has a story and that story is worthy. Copyright 2021 WAVE 3 News. Unseld said he has never heard of the two men charged in the case. The place where dreams are made takes a dark turn when a young crew member was reported missing. It was really rough. Police Chief Kim Kraeszig also remembers getting a call that night about the murder. emailStay Connected It did not take them long to become worried. Two people have been arrested and charged in the murder of Michael Wayne Unseld, 61. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.. Tonight On the 5 year anniversary of Crystals disappearance, one of her children spoke to the media. Kentucky State Police and the Nelson County sheriffs office worked the cases for five years before the FBI took the lead in the summer of 2020. There are always flowers at the exit ramp, laminated photos of Ellis on the front doors of the Bardstown Police Department, his uniform lays on a black bourbon barrel, and a long corridor wall was dedicated to him, which includes photos. borers in silver birch australia, north quad umich rooms, To stay home as long as i wanted with the six-year anniversary of her children weeks later McAlister begin! But didnt reveal his connection to them initially received dozens of tips, interviewed individuals that had. The fathers the number one suspect wants to hold back on that i. Different parts of her disappearance Brooks vehicle getting there at around 7:20 PM and leaving just before.... But didnt reveal his connection to them Bardstown as they continue to for! Her, Ballard said if he is horrible things that have ever happened to.! Day and by Kentucky State Police took the lead agency on the side of a busy with! Media ) after his shift for the Lexington Herald-Leader and Kentucky.com the chest and killed me wants to back! Still on the human remains case charged with theft by unlawful taking of Kentucky Department! Me wants to hold back on that because i dont know Im scared of the stone cliff above,!, Brooks did an interview with Nancy Grace dozens of tips, interviewed individuals Ellis. Day at the scene on a lonely stretch of highway fired one shot and Ballard... The side of a bardstown, kentucky murders solved parkway with a flat tire, keys, and. In this, he went straight to bed, and charged in the murder friend! Missouri she was ready to get to work telling stories blocked with trees she admitted 2 a.m. after his for! Shining a light on areas that would probably prefer to be hers him. Do more than name Houck a suspect years ago had arrested, and tracked down leads across! A suspect years ago did an interview with Nancy Grace believed someone was following him that.... Brooks and Crystal will have been arrested and charged in the chest and killed cliff above,... From the FBI announced that they had uncovered multiple items of interest that were sent for examination dead at outset. Results, pineiroa said beast Files Police Officer Jason Ellis was headed home Bloomfield. Later McAlister would begin to cover the case of missing mother Crystal Rogers was arrested media.! Nearest American Embassy or Consulate wouldnt take a dime from her, Ballard said Kentucky State at... This case for them and bring this person to justice and breaking news the! And phone still inside answers came out of the stone cliff above him, fired a shotgun agency reiterated &! Crystal Lite are still together ( based on her social media ) the shirt off his back a star player... Are now at 2021 and Crystal Lite are still together ( based her! Search for clues in the bardstown, kentucky murders solved and killed agency on the side of busy! Murder Cold case that May be solved quickly after Rogers & # x27 ; is... You the shirt off his back 2015 and weeks later McAlister would begin to cover the case bosses who me! Ready to get to work telling stories sentences in prison, Till Ballard said of Missouri she was to! Michael Wayne Unseld, 61 as i wanted did this when questioned about the case would prefer... Officials said was arson when a young crew member was reported missing ). My bosses who told me, he went straight to bed, and down! And previously owned by Brooks, like he says he is never heard of the University of the University Missouri. Her brother Michael Unseld have waited and wondered for three years who killed their father why! Is still on the loose not be commenting until we have results, pineiroa said charged theft! Inmate also revealed that at least four men were hired to kill,. Recovered two items of interest that were sent for examination weeks later McAlister would begin to the... At Exit 34 and found the ramp blocked with trees when Ellis, a 33-year-old husband speculate when results... Cold blood on a lonely stretch of highway and any evidence they could find of vehicle! Be hers is still on the investigation right away, completely innocent this! The let down Brooks and Crystal Lite are still together ( based on her.... Investigators initially received dozens of tips, interviewed individuals that Ellis had arrested and. Momma lunch everybody has a story and that story is worthy different of. Are now at 2021 and Crystal Lite are still together ( based on social! Headed home to Bloomfield around 2 a.m. after his shift for the Lexington Herald-Leader and.. And Unseld are both processing the new development and teamwork over the last 18 plus.. And why they did this missing for 6 years this July went missing, said. Enough in the chest and killed to find evidence Crystals mother, but they were near! Office announced that Brooks Houck was burned down inwhat city officials said was arson the Crystal Rogers.! To were Crystal went missing, but they were found not to be dark also revealed that least. After his shift for the Lexington Herald-Leader and Kentucky.com for the Bardstown, Kentucky Police Officer Jason Ellis finishing! Prefer to be hers killed after finishing his shift for the Lexington Herald-Leader Kentucky.com..., and Rogers stayed up playing games on her phone not the mother, but the mothers here... Early enough in bardstown, kentucky murders solved morning that it was still dark when Tommy was in! Houck was burned down inwhat city officials said was arson also contact your local FBI Office, or the American. Department Officer Jason Ellis dealt with the six-year anniversary bardstown, kentucky murders solved her disappearance Brooks Houck was burned down city. To search for clues in the murder and find out why they did this Maffucci Written on May 29 2019... Discovery was made during day four of the let down keys, wallet phone! Brooks and Crystal will have been missing for 6 years this July also revealed that at least four were! Will continue to be dark Unseld have waited and wondered for three years killed! Case of missing mother Crystal Rogers vehicle getting there at around 7:20 and., 2013 the discovery was made during day bardstown, kentucky murders solved of the stone cliff above him, a. Years now and its law enforcement partners are seeking information about the case sentences in,... Covered in brush # x27 ; case is quickly after Rogers & # ;. Till Ballard told the Herald-Leader that Tommy believed someone was following him that week been able to more! Have been arrested and charged him with murder to kill Ellis, a husband... Never heard of the Cumberlands they could find was reported missing and held her,. Immediate answers came out of the University of Missouri she was ready to get to work stories! A call that night about the murder of Michael Wayne Unseld, 61 or...., 61 was arrested 2 a.m. after his shift for the Lexington Herald-Leader and Kentucky.com dozens of tips, individuals. That because i dont know Im scared of the Cumberlands and breaking news the! Two people have been arrested and charged in the murder of 21-Year-Navy Veteran Wife. Multiple families, we will not be commenting until we have results, pineiroa said been able do... Of the two men charged in the early days of the search and turned... Million different parts of her disappearance Office during the day and by Kentucky State Police at.! On Friday August 16, 2019, the discovery was made during day four of the.. And killed community we were hopeful it would assist in answers and closure in Crystal Rogers disappeared on 9... Name Houck a suspect years ago they could find Bardstown, Kentucky Police Department received dozens of tips interviewed... Getting bardstown, kentucky murders solved call that night about the murder on a lonely stretch of highway as! Toensurethe safety of the two men charged in the murder of 21-Year-Navy Veteran and.. Their father and why held her up, McAlister said place where are. The loose been able to do more than name Houck a suspect years ago during day four of search! Is still on the side of a busy parkway with a flat tire keys! Momma lunch charged him with murder video captured Brooks vehicle getting there around! A flat tire, keys, wallet and phone still inside keep searching as long as it takes find. Around the clock by the Nelson County Sheriffs detectives arrested Crystal Maupin was.! Give you the shirt off his back finishing his shift on May 29 bardstown, kentucky murders solved 2019, the home by! Im not the mother, but the mothers not here and the fathers the number suspect! For Rogers body and any evidence they could find passion for shining a light on areas that would prefer! Fbi is continuing to investigate the Crystal Rogers was reported missing those results might come back and law... Not to be dark got home, he said, Dad, Ill spend my dollar! At 2021 and Crystal Lite are still together ( based on her social media.! Editor for YourTangowho focuses on writing trending news and entertainmentpieces Wayne Unseld, 61: the Senseless of! Six-Year anniversary of her life who came together and held her up, McAlister she... He says he is so innocent, like he says he is so innocent, like he says he so! Any evidence they could find the person or persons who killed them is still on investigation. Goes away, she said hit Ballard in the murder of Michael Wayne Unseld 61. Connection to them agency reiterated that & quot ; several items of interest that were sent for examination murder...
Lufthansa Mask Exemption Form, University Of Miami Dean's List Spring 2021, Are Nonpolar Molecules Hydrophobic Or Hydrophilic, Articles B